The Mountain and the Hobbit

Westeros

Conan Stevens was hinting at some big news in our Conan Stevens. Well, the news—or at least some of it—has broken in an unexpected corner of the web…

... Peter Jackson’s official Facebook page, where he announces several castings, including one Mr. Stevens as an orc by the name of Azog! There’s a terrific picture included in the post, showing the 5’5” Jackson next to the 7’ tall Stevens. Congratulations to Conan—lets just hope this doesn’t interfere with his second season filming!

Visit the Site!

In the Middle-earth mythos, Azog is a historical character killed by King Dain when he was very young. We know they're doing some dwarf flashback backstory stuff with Thrain and so on, so it's possible this is the same orc and he'll only be appearing in flashback.

However, based on Jackson's comments and the things Stevens has been saying on his blog about the size of this project and his role in it, it doesn't sound like he's doing a couple of days' filming and then heading home. More likely he has a bigger role and they've just reused a Tolkien name in a different context (as they did a couple of times in the trilogy).

In that case, it depends on the size of the role and when it's filming. Gregor has a bigger role in Season 2 and will be needed for filming for a large chunk of July-December. The Hobbit is filming right through to the start of 2012, and I have a hard time believing that they'll be shuttling actors from Northern Ireland to New Zealand and back again repeatedly through filming. The logistics appear challenging.

I hope we don't lose Stevens from GoT. Recasting might be possible, but it'd be a shame.

In the Middle-earth mythos, Azog is a historical character killed by King Dain when he was very young. We know they're doing some dwarf flashback backstory stuff with Thrain and so on, so it's possible this is the same orc and he'll only be appearing in flashback.

However, based on Jackson's comments and the things Stevens has been saying on his blog about the size of this project and his role in it, it doesn't sound like he's doing a couple of days' filming and then heading home. More likely he has a bigger role and they've just reused a Tolkien name in a different context (as they did a couple of times in the trilogy).

In that case, it depends on the size of the role and when it's filming. Gregor has a bigger role in Season 2 and will be needed for filming for a large chunk of July-December. The Hobbit is filming right through to the start of 2012, and I have a hard time believing that they'll be shuttling actors from Northern Ireland to New Zealand and back again repeatedly through filming. The logistics appear challenging.

I hope we don't lose Stevens from GoT. Recasting might be possible, but it'd be a shame.

Possibly they are amalgamating the Azog with his son Bolg, and having Azog be the leader of the Orcs at the Battle of the Five Armies. Of course, this would require some slight juggling of any flashbacks they DO show, since Azog was killed by Dain in the Battle of Nanduhirion/Azanulbizar.

Now I'm trying to remember where there's a 7 ft giant along the way in Bilbo's adventures, been soooo long since I read the books. What about that huge guy Bilbo stays with deep in the woods, I'm blank on his name, but believe he warged into a bear at night?

At any rate, good for Conan!

Now I'm trying to remember where there's a 7 ft giant along the way in Bilbo's adventures, been soooo long since I read the books. What about that huge guy Bilbo stays with deep in the woods, I'm blank on his name, but believe he warged into a bear at night?

At any rate, good for Conan!

Beorn?

Beorn?

That's him! This board is amazing, ask any question and somebody out there knows the answer.

From Wiki, here's Beorn's description:

Beorn was of immense size and strength for a man, and retained his size and strength in bear-form. He had black hair (in either form) and a thick black beard and broad shoulders (in human form).

I am hoping this Azog will appear to be the size of a normal man on screen - the same way John Rhys-Davies needed to tower over the actors playing hobbits in LOTR and for the same reason.

I think they've already cast Beorn. And in any case there will probably be a lot of CGI around this character.

Regarding Azog, if they make him the leader of the orcs at the Battle of the Five Armies, it makes sense to make him as big as Conan. In the book that leader and his bodyguard were much larger than normal orcs.

and I have a hard time believing that they'll be shuttling actors from Northern Ireland to New Zealand and back again repeatedly through filming.

There and back again, an Orc's tale.

It's only 40 hours flying (with stopovers). He'll even be able to go through Bangkok and catch up with his family for a few hours (No one wants to transit the USA any more).

I hope they don't make them all big. The orcs of the Misty Mountains (referred to as "goblins" in The Hobbit) were supposedly smaller than the regular grunt orcs of Mordor, for instance, and definitely smaller than the uruk-hai.

I'm really looking forward to how they portray the dwarves. Guillermo del Toro had some really unconventional ideas, especially for Smaug. Would like to see something along those lines, but really am just looking forward to seeing it however Jackson & Co. do it.

I wonder if they've just given a name to The Great Goblin from the Misty Mountains, he captures Bilbo and the Dwarves and is eventually killed by Gandalf.

In the books he never had a name.

Also filming of the Hobbit stops in 2 weeks for editing and effects work, the crew will also begin prep for some major scenes to follow. Who's to say Conan hasn't already filmed his scenes (the first block of filming was the events in the caves where Bilbo meets Golem, Martin Freeman (Bilbo) is already back in the UK for 3 months filming the second series of Sherlock). Its obvious Conan is on set for the picture of him and Jackson to be taken.

I don't think we should be too pessimistic about the chances of losing Gregor. A part as an orc in the hobbit can't be that big. He may appear during the cross in the Misty Mountains, in some flashbacks, and in the Battle of the Five Armies. That's all. I don't know the first thing about filming schedules, but that can't take many weeks, can it?

And I'm sure Conan will do what he can to accomodate his schedule.

I always thought GoT should be filmed in New Zealand anyway. Move the whole production there and problem solved; besides, it will be much more convenient for me to stake out the shooting locations :D

My understanding is that the Hobbit (which is going to be two films, not one) is going to have a lot of backstory on film -- the whole Dwarf-Orc thing will be played out, Smaug's attack on the Lonely Mountain and Dale, etc. It is the only way to get two films, giving that the Hobbit is a pretty short book with a bunch of set pieces (Hobbiton, the Trolls, the Mountain Pass, the Riddle Game, the Eagles, Boern, the Spiders, the Elfs, Riverton, Smaug, the Death of Smaug, and the Battle of Five Armies).

Archived