A Thread For Small Questions VIII

mormont

I don't believe there was ever any attempts on their life by Robert or the small council until Jorah became an informant, and even that was mostly staged by Varys to make Jorah seem more trustworthy by saving Daenerys from the wine poisoner.

I think Viserys used it as an excuse to maintain an aura of power and importance to Daenerys, and he also may have been legitimately paranoid since we was a crazy person. Lastly, maybe there was an attempt or two on their life, but not hired knives by Robert -- just creeps looking to prey upon two vulnerable kids.

The fact that Tywin had their niece and nephew killed is enough circumstantial evidence to make someone think that they could get some type of boon from the crown for killing them. So, it would not surprise me if there were some attempts on their life.

GH

what would have happened to Bran and Hodor had the 5 year gap been implemented? Surely he's gonna get to big to be carried around soon?

Considering that the five year gap would have taken place before just before AFOC, and AFOC didn't have any Bran chapters... We may find out in ADWD or TWOW.

He is described as "sickly" in the GoT appendix.

Sickly =/= seizures. Epilepsy=seizures. Sickly means pale, weak, thin, easily tired. The time I remember him describing as having some sort of seizures is in AFFS at the same time he is taking sweet milk, which he is taking because Sansa and LF can't control him without it too well.

Sickly =/= seizures. Epilepsy=seizures. Sickly means pale, weak, thin, easily tired. The time I remember him describing as having some sort of seizures is in AFFS at the same time he is taking sweet milk, which he is taking because Sansa and LF can't control him without it too well.

He had one at the end of ASoS. he knocked down Sansa snow castle, so he ripped his doll. He then has a seizure. It was stated that everyone was accustomed to this sound and knew what to do when they heard it. I believe this may have been happening his whole life, we just haven't seen him have one till this point.

The fact that Tywin had their niece and nephew killed is enough circumstantial evidence to make someone think that they could get some type of boon from the crown for killing them. So, it would not surprise me if there were some attempts on their life.

GH

Yes, but by the time Robert first mentions them, they seem like relatively fresh news to him and the small council (Varys notwithstanding) as well as Eddard.

Viserys just does not seem stable enough to be taken at face value when it comes to frequent mentions of the Usurper's assassins. Why'd they always fail?

Yeah, I don't know. We don't have the information to say, but I really don't think it's accurate that people would rush to kill them because "Well, I mean, maybe the crown would give me something cause a really long time ago they killed some other Targaryens". If Robert and the Council is essentially ignoring them, it's more likely people would think he doesn't see them as a threat and doesn't care.

Agreed. When Robert said he never sent knives after them because of Jon Arryn, this is obviously true. Maybe some occasional opportunist tried it, but I doubt it. Dany says she never saw them, in any case, so it sure seems no one ever got close enough to be even noticed.

I noticed that there's a House Kenning of Kayce in the Westerlands and a House Kenning of Harlaw in the Iron Islands. Is there any connection between the two? The ironborn are the most culturally separate of all the Seven Kingdoms (moreso than even the Dornish), so I'd imagine this is somewhat unlikely -- although Kayce is a coastal town in the nearby Westerlands, so it's possible.

The heraldry couldn't be more different, too...

There may not be an answer to this in the books, but I thought I'd ask.

Is the Arryn boy epileptic?

P152 AFfC paperback

"...Helpless as the rest, Sansa could only stand an watch as the shaking spell ran its course. One of Robert's legs kicked Ser Lothar in the face. Brune cursed, but still held on as the boy twitched and flailed and wet himself..."

My best guess is that he's epileptic. I think loss of bladder control is common for a grand mal seizure, but I am in no way an expert.

Though Sansa makes him out to be 18 in AGoT, his age settles at about 21 in ACoK.

I have Sansa saying he was "a man near twenty" (AGoT 120) which is a fine ballpark estimation, but the real problem comes with Ned's memory. He says Renly was " a boy of eight" when Robert wins his throne in 283 (AGoT 161) - making him about 23 in 298 - which is in direct contradiction to everyone else's remarks on Renly's age. Cressen, who should know, puts him at 21 (ACoK 8), and this is the same as Catelyn's estimate (ACoK 257) when she sees him on her mission from Robb. Ned's thoughts on Renly's age is the one time I can find were we have a character who should know giving the readers a wrong age other than when we know they are lying about their own age (Sansa, Arya.)

Guest ......

I noticed that there's a House Kenning of Kayce in the Westerlands and a House Kenning of Harlaw in the Iron Islands. Is there any connection between the two? The ironborn are the most culturally separate of all the Seven Kingdoms (moreso than even the Dornish), so I'd imagine this is somewhat unlikely -- although Kayce is a coastal town in the nearby Westerlands, so it's possible.

The heraldry couldn't be more different, too...

There may not be an answer to this in the books, but I thought I'd ask.

In RL, different Norman (Viking descendants who conquered Normandy at first) families conquered not only England, but also Sicily. Ultimately, we don't tend to associate the descendants of William the Conqueror with the those of Robert Guiscard (or Tancred of Hauteville before him), aside from Papal attempts to entice Richard of Cornwall into the movement to depose the Hohenstaufens. Nevertheless they do share a common origin, however obscure. Kenning of Harlaw and Kenning of Kayce might fall into this sort of category of diverging adventurers who made good in different ways.

In RL, different Norman (Viking descendants who conquered Normandy at first) families conquered not only England, but also Sicily. Ultimately, we don't tend to associate the descendants of William the Conqueror with the those of Robert Guiscard (or Tancred of Hauteville before him), aside from Papal attempts to entice Richard of Cornwall into the movement to depose the Hohenstaufens. Nevertheless they do share a common origin, however obscure. Kenning of Harlaw and Kenning of Kayce might fall into this sort of category of diverging adventurers who made good in different ways.

On a non Westeros note, the Hautevilles have to be my favourite family from history. They went from having a small estate in Normandy to Becoming Duke of Apulia and other places, defeating both the Byzantines and the Pope in one generation

I'm re-reading GoT and have a couple of questions.

After Robb meets up with Catelyn at Moat Cailin they read the letter from Sansa and note that it makes no mention of Arya. After which their conversation exclusively talks about Ned & Sansa only. It's all "your sister" etc. etc.

Why don't they just assume that Sansa just left Arya out of the letter but that she's still there? And if they instantly jump to the conclusion that something has happened to Arya, why continue the conversation quite calmly only talking about Sansa?

It's just so wierd.

Also - when Jaime is captured at the Whispering Wood, he is captured with 3 other Lannister cousins, at least one of which is Kevans. Yet in the next conversation with Tyrion & Tywin & Kevan where they're gloomy over Jaime's capture, they're never mentioned.

Did I just miss it, or when does anyone in the Lannister camp notice that there are 3 other cousins missing??

Archived