A Thread For Small Questions VIII

mormont

Here's a question that occurred to me as I was watching the TV series. In ACOK, it is said (I believe) that Renly Baratheon is 21 years old. How old would that have made him during Robert's Rebellion? Wouldn't he have been a young child at the time? So then why was he named Lord of Storm's End at such a young age?

Here's a question that occurred to me as I was watching the TV series. In ACOK, it is said (I believe) that Renly Baratheon is 21 years old. How old would that have made him during Robert's Rebellion? Wouldn't he have been a young child at the time? So then why was he named Lord of Storm's End at such a young age?

[ deleted please ingnore post.]

Renly would have been 5 or 6 at the time of the war. Renly was given Storm's end because Robert needed someone experienced in command of Dragonstone so he gave that to Stannis and Renly was the only one left. Plus the war has ended and the Stormlands was relivtivly safe

Lothbrok,

Okay, thanks. Furthermore, from Stannis's perspective, relegating him to Dragonstone was a slap in the face anyway, as I recall? I sort of side with Stannis here. It does seem a bit odd to make your boy brother Lord of your House's seat while an older brother is perfectly capable. What makes Dragonstone so much more important anyway?

Perhaps on second thought it was shrewd politically. It makes the Baratheons Lords of two important fortresses on different sides of the continent.

Furthermore, from Stannis's perspective, relegating him to Dragonstone was a slap in the face anyway, as I recall? I sort of side with Stannis here. It does seem a bit odd to make your boy brother Lord of your House's seat while an older brother is perfectly capable. What makes Dragonstone so much more important anyway?

Perhaps on second thought it was shrewd politically. It makes the Baratheons Lords of two important fortresses on different sides of the continent.

Dragonstone was historically the seat of the heir to the throne. By gifting it to Stannis, Robert believed he was acknowledging him as his heir. He thought he was honoring him.

Lothbrok,

Okay, thanks. Furthermore, from Stannis's perspective, relegating him to Dragonstone was a slap in the face anyway, as I recall? I sort of side with Stannis here. It does seem a bit odd to make your boy brother Lord of your House's seat while an older brother is perfectly capable. What makes Dragonstone so much more important anyway?

Dragonstone has always been the centre of Targ power. They've had it since before Aegon the conqueror and afterwards it became the seat of the heir. I think it was decided that its bannermen would be especially loyal to the targs so Robert or likely Jon Arryn wanted a strong hand in charge of Dragonstone

A small question about the TV series, ep 04 where Doreah is bathing with Viserys, did I really hear her talk about Gerion Lannister?

(Maybe this question belongs in the GoT section, but most people who haven't read the books won't know who Gerion is)

In the first Sansa chapter in ASOS she regrets not going away with the Hound, saying he had come back to take her away and she refused. But in ACOK all the conversation they have is

1) The Hound informing he's leaving

2) The Hound saying he could leave because he wore a white cloak of the KG (eventually he leaves that behind and still is able to leave. I think he's just that recognizable)

3) The Hound cursing Tyrion, fire, etc

4) The Hound demanding a song from Sansa

That's it. I don't think I saw an offer to get her out of KL. Did I forget/overlook something? Or is Sansa remembering wrongly? Or are my copies of the books wrong?

Just a quick question: Does anyone know what "fissures" are on swords? Longclaw is described as such and i can't put a picture to it.

Thank you,

Where did you see that? The only references I can find refer mostly to stone, and occasionally to flesh.

If you're reading it in translation, I think 'fuller' (as mentioned above) is the likely term.

Do the Swan's have a port (dock/harbor) at Stonehelm?

Is anything ever stated (known) about the two small islands south of Cape Wrath in the Sea of Dorne?

Is the Sea of Dorne as stormy and volatile as the portions of the Stormlands which boarder the Narrow Sea?

Thank you

That's it. I don't think I saw an offer to get her out of KL. Did I forget/overlook something? Or is Sansa remembering wrongly? Or are my copies of the books wrong?

After Sandor tells her he is leaving King's Landing, and after he demands a song there is this

"I could keep you safe," he rasped. "They're all afraid of me. No one would hurt you again, or I'd kill them."

He never actually offers to take her with him, but this line implies that he would. Later I believe Sansa remembers it as an offer to take her away.

I don't remember where but I'm almost sure Cersey says that Robert gave Dragonstone to Stannis as a insult.

You are correct. But I cannot find the Book and page. I'll keep looking.

Why was Lyssa so convinced that Tyrion killed her husband, if she knew she did it herself? Was it just a show for the rest of the court?

Of course just show; I always thought that in spite of her apparent madness there was a layer of Lysas cunning and intelligence - after all only she and Doran brought their respective regions safe through the War of the 5 Kings.

What happened with Darksister, the second Targaryen Valyrian Steel sword?

What happened with Darksister, the second Targaryen Valyrian Steel sword?

The last person who was known to wield it was Bloodraven (one of the Four Great Bastards), but its whereabouts are unknown now. Bloodraven took the Black, so there may be a chance that it turns up somewhere at the Wall, but it's been about 100 years since anyone's seen the blade at all, and we don't even know if Bloodraven took the blade north with him or not. So basically, it's lost.

Quick question: In which direction is Victarion sailing towards Dany? If he went south and around Dorne, wouldn't that require him to go very close to the Arbor? Wouldn't that mean that the Redwyne's would most likely think Victarion is trying to attack the Arbor? I can't imagine him sailing West, as we don't even know if theres another continent in his way.

Archived