A Thread For Small Questions VIII

mormont

Here we go, I found the passage in the aSoS in Bran IV.

"... The dream he'd had... the dream Summer had had... No, I mustn't think about that dream. He had not even told the Reeds, though Meera at least seemed to sense that something was wrong. If he never talked of it maybe he could forget he dreamed it, and then it wouldn't have happened and Robb and Grey Wind would still be... " (US aSoS pg 755)

Actually, "Undead is a collective name for fictional, mythological, or legendary beings that are deceased and yet behave as if alive." Catelyn is not dead and imitating life, she is actually alive.

No, she is not actually alive. She was given the "fire of life" by Berric and so she has the same issues he had. Arya notes that Berric did not eat, did not drink, and does not sleep. And -- above all -- does not heal.

Sounds pretty Undead to me.

No, she is not actually alive. She was given the "fire of life" by Berric and so she has the same issues he had. Arya notes that Berric did not eat, did not drink, and does not sleep.

Sounds pretty Undead to me.

After, what, seven raisings? We really don't know if Cat eats/drinks/sleeps, and whether or not what happened to Beric was the result of being brought back so many times. It sounded like his humanity was eaten away a little bit each time.

Lady Stoneheart is undead. Why do you think we all called her unCat before AFFC came out? :D She's not the same kind of undead creature as the wights resurrected by the Others, but she was dead for a good while and dumped in the river, and was only brought back to life by magic. She also does not behave like Catelyn Stark did, but she's a creature of vengeance and hatred.

Lady Stoneheart is undead.

There doesn't seem to be any indication that she's "undead" rather than "resurrected."

Why do you think we all called her unCat before AFFC came out? :D

Because people didn't want to associate her actions with the part of her they liked?

She's not the same kind of undead creature as the wights resurrected by the Others, but she was dead for a good while and dumped in the river, and was only brought back to life by magic. She also does not behave like Catelyn Stark did, but she's a creature of vengeance and hatred.

None of this points to her being undead.

After, what, seven raisings? We really don't know if Cat eats/drinks/sleeps, and whether or not what happened to Beric was the result of being brought back so many times. It sounded like his humanity was eaten away a little bit each time.

I'm pretty sure they say in AFFC that she never sleeps. Don't know about eating or drinking, though.

Anyway, aren't vampires referred to in some circles as undead? I'm pretty sure they are, yet they still act with greater purpose and sentience than zombies or wights. So really, I don't see why Beric and Catelyn cannot also be considered undead.

Archived