A Thread For Small Questions VIII

mormont

Duncan the Small or Jaehaerys II, probably.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Pretty strong conviction to refuse the crown prince and his heir apparant. However, I wondered if it might have been some other Targ. Didn't find any readily available list of Targs who were alive at certain points in time. Could have been some Blackfyre? Some (other) bastard?

Pretty sure that he did. He said that there will be 7 books and A Dream of Spring (replacing the title of Time for the Wolves) is the last book

Yeah, he's said it. He also said it was going to be a trilogy, then 5 books, and now 7, so don't hold your breath.

The Stark's direwolves were presumably born south of the wall, but how did their mother get there? From Bran's first chapter when they find the direwolves, "Theres not been a diewolf sighted south of the wall in 200 years."

So what changed, how was this she-wolf able to get south of the wall?

She was very good at not being sighted.

Considering that when we go north of the Wall we never see any other direwolves, yet no one, especially the wildlings, seem so shocked to see Ghost that we can assume direwolves are extinct, the only reasonable assumption is that all direwolves have adapted to their environment by becoming aboreal wolf-ninjas. Unseen, unheard, unknown. Until they STRIKE!

You know, Brienne must be pretty damn monstrous if so many people point it out all the time.

I mean, I don't know about y'all, but in real life when I see a person I consider to simply be of below-average attractiveness, it typically doesn't even register. Someone completely hopelessly disgusting in every way, on the other hand...

I don't think she was monstrous and very ugly but very tall and muscular. (contemporary equivalent - those female body builders). In Westeros, women were supposed be smallish and very feminine especially from noble houses. I don't remember anyone commenting on her ugliness when they assumed she was a man since she is dressed as a knight and has the build, they only commented on her "ugliness" when they knew or realized that she was a woman.

Yeah, he's said it. He also said it was going to be a trilogy, then 5 books, and now 7, so don't hold your breath.

Six books, not five. He realised as he was writing ACOK that he'd need two sets of three books, with a five year gap between them...

It went:

A Game of Thrones

A Dance with Dragons

The Winds of Winter

A Game of Thrones

A Clash of Kings

A Dance with Dragons

The Winds of Winter

A Game of Thrones

A Clash of Kings

A Storm of Swords

A Dance with Dragons

The Winds of Winter

A Time For Wolves

A Game of Thrones

A Clash of Kings

A Storm of Swords

A Feast for Crows

A Dance with Dragons

The Winds of Winter

A Time For Wolves

A Game of Thrones

A Clash of Kings

A Storm of Swords

A Feast for Crows

A Dance with Dragons

The Winds of Winter

A Dream of Spring

I am betting on at least one more change.

Asarlai: I'm not sure where you're getting that from?

As Hora says, the original notion of a trilogy was abandoned really very early on, before any substantial work had been done even on book 2. From there it was planned as a six-book series, then lately modified to seven. At no point was the series ever envisioned as four books. And changing the provisional title of the last, as yet unwritten book, while it is a 'change', isn't really a significant one, I would suggest.

Asarlai: I'm not sure where you're getting that from?

As Hora says, the original notion of a trilogy was abandoned really very early on, before any substantial work had been done even on book 2. From there it was planned as a six-book series, then lately modified to seven. At no point was the series ever envisioned as four books. And changing the provisional title of the last, as yet unwritten book, while it is a 'change', isn't really a significant one, I would suggest.

Here:

Well, there's a very brief reference there to a short period of time in which GRRM believed the series would be four books long. However, I'm honestly not sure where Wert is getting that from, in the first place. There may be some private correspondence or a SSM or an interview that mentions it, but if so I've not seen it. Certainly, so far as I (and I'm willing to bet, 99% of readers) know, this was never made public or 'officially' announced at any stage - indeed, Wert's post notes that the next public mention after AGOT's release was the reference in Legends to the series being six books.

Six books was the position from 1998 until quite recently. By contrast, the 'changes' from three to four to six (if indeed Wert is right about there being a point when four was the plan) all took place before the second book was even finished, let alone released. So, we've had one change in the projected length of the series in the last 13 years: during which time books 2, 3, 4 and now 5 have been completed and released. Even that one change appears to be the consequence of a major revision to the entire planned structure of the series. I'd suggest that the evidence that there are likely to be more is scant.

i may have skipped over something, but was the shadow that killed Renly they same as the one that Davos saw Mel give birth to? cause for some reason I always thought it was.

He had only an instant to look at it before it was gone, twisting between the bars of the portcullis and racing across the surface of the water, but that instant was long enough.

He knew that shadow. As he knew the man who'd cast it.

[...] a sudden gust of wind flung open the door of the tent. She thought she glimpsed movement, but when she turned her head, it was only the king's shadow shifting against the silken walls. She heard Renly begin a jest, his shadow moving, lifting its sword, black on green, candles guttering, shivering, something was queer, wrong, and then she saw Renly's sword still in its scabbard, sheathed still, but the shadowsword...

Renly never cast that shadow. Death came in that door and blew the life out of him as swift as the wind snuffed out his candles.

I think it's pretty clear that it's the same shadow and whose shadow it is.

Hi all, long time listener, first time etc. etc. Looking forward to interacting here; some real interesting and informative posters/postings, all in regards to an excellent piece of fiction which we all obviously love.

Forgive me if it has been discussed in other threads (I'm sure it has), but I did a quick search and didn't see it mentioned. It just hit me on my 3rd re-read: is it possible Meryn Trant is actually Syrio, given the obvious possibility of Syrio being a Faceless Man?

Hi all, long time listener, first time etc. etc. Looking forward to interacting here; some real interesting and informative posters/postings, all in regards to an excellent piece of fiction which we all obviously love.

Forgive me if it has been discussed in other threads (I'm sure it has), but I did a quick search and didn't see it mentioned. It just hit me on my 3rd re-read: is it possible Meryn Trant is actually Syrio, given the obvious possibility of Syrio being a Faceless Man?

Discussed many many times. It's possible, but not likely.

My question: I was rereading SoS and saw Patchface completely correctly predicted the Red Wedding very early on. What are the major theories on this and does he make many other prophecies? I don't recall any offhand.

i may have skipped over something, but was the shadow that killed Renly they same as the one that Davos saw Mel give birth to? cause for some reason I always thought it was.

Since the one we saw her give birth to came after the one who killed Renly, it is clearly two different shadows. Unless it crawled back into her once Renly was murdered. However, the person who cast the shadow was most likely Stannis in both cases, as has been shown above.

Are there any other points of view that show Brienne as not being pretty or attractive at all? I know she's muscular and big, and I'm only halfway into the 3rd book but I'm starting to think Jaime might have a skewed version of reality. We're seeing Brienne from his eyes and maybe she's not as ugly as he makes her out to be

In Brienne's first POV in aFfC, 84, "Freakish was the word she had heard all her life. She was broad in shoulder and broader in the hips. Her legs were long, her arms were thick. Her chest was more muscle than bosom. Her hands were big, her feet enormous. And she was ugly besides, with a freckled, horsey face and teeth that seemed almost too big for her mouth"

I'd say she most likely is not that good looking, but she seems like a nice person...

Archived