GRRM's new Not a Blog post

marwyn

Not public. You need a written letter of permission from GRRM. I'm not sure if you also have to prove that you're either academically credentialed or otherwise producing professional research.

You can see a catalog of the holdings -- 155 boxes so far! -- here.

I wonder where Darkstar is going to figure in all these comings and goings. IIRC, the last we saw of him was riding off after the Myrcella fiasco. I know everybody likes to make fun of him (Dorkstar, etc), but I think Doran describing him as the most dangerous man in the world or somesuch, means that GRRM has plans for him.

That GRRM made sure to mention that Cersei and Jaime wouldn't have a lot of chapters makes me believe he's warning us that the tense situation in King's Landing, including Cersei's ultimate fate, won't be resolved by the end of Dance. But on the other hand, he might be simply be warning us that they won't have as many chapters as they had in Feast (where Cersei had 10 chapters and Jaime 7 of them) while still intending to resolve the KL situation with just 3 or 4 chapters for each of them.

Not public. You need a written letter of permission from GRRM. I'm not sure if you also have to prove that you're either academically credentialed or otherwise producing professional research.

You can see a catalog of the holdings -- 155 boxes so far! -- here.

Shame, it would have been interesting to see early manuscripts of Game of Thrones for example and his notes and methodology, although maybe he keeps much of that stuff with him still.

Brienne's cliffhanger could be resolved in a Jaime chapter. They were not too far away from each other geographically when last we left them, and if Brienne survived, she certainly has reason to seek him out. In the past when they've been together, their scenes have been seen through Jaime's eyes.

I wonder if the mystery pov could be from Oldtown or the Vale. If so, there would have to be a reason to use a new pov rather than our established pov's of Sam and Sansa respectively. I could see using someone other than Sansa in the Vale because using Sansa might give away too many of Littlefinger's plans. It would be a nice device to show Sansa "closing up" and becoming part of Littlefinger's schemes. With that in mind, Mya Stone might be a good candidate.

That GRRM made sure to mention that Cersei and Jaime wouldn't have a lot of chapters makes me believe he's warning us that the tense situation in King's Landing, including Cersei's ultimate fate, won't be resolved by the end of Dance. But on the other hand, he might be simply be warning us that they won't have as many chapters as they had in Feast (where Cersei had 10 chapters and Jaime 7 of them) while still intending to resolve the KL situation with just 3 or 4 chapters for each of them.

6 to 8 chapters is probably optimistic. Last we heard, there was only supposed to be two chapters for Cersei, and presumably not that much more for Jaime. I think that's enough to get some kind of working arrangement in King's Landing before Dany invades, given that Jaime can claim ignorance for most of Cersei's antics, and was already thinking about removing Cersei from power and replacing her small council.

6 to 8 chapters is probably optimistic. Last we heard, there was only supposed to be two chapters for Cersei, and presumably not that much more for Jaime. I think that's enough to get some kind of working arrangement in King's Landing before Dany invades, given that Jaime can claim ignorance for most of Cersei's antics, and was already thinking about removing Cersei from power and replacing her small council.

You could be right, though just 3-4 chapters total to resolve the King's Landing situation strikes me as a very small number. Here's hoping that if that's indeed the case, those chapters won't feel rushed.

You could be right, though just 3-4 chapters total to resolve the King's Landing situation strikes me as a very small number. Here's hoping that if that's indeed the case, those chapters won't feel rushed.

Well, nothing says that the Tyrells and the Lannisters will be buddy-buddy at the end of ADWD. I could see a situation where tensions remained, only to explode after Dany's invasion.

Well, nothing says that the Tyrells and the Lannisters will be buddy-buddy at the end of ADWD. I could see a situation where tensions remained, only to explode after Dany's invasion.

Exactly...I was just thinking how Jaimie could potentially resolve Brienne's cliffhanger only to create another. Likewise, as is so often the case, I don't see DwD ending very succinctly and I imagine Westeros to be quite divided if/when Danny invades in book 6 (or 7?).

It's tough to predict the missing PoV because it could be an entirely new character (or one mentioned but never seen on screen). GRRM's post seems to imply there are more than one "new characters not yet introduced" that get PoVs, Quentyn would be one, but the other two new PoVs are well established characters.

If it is someone we've seen on screen before, I honestly don't know. My gut is it's not a character in a place we aren't currently seeing, for the same reasons mentioned before (could just use a Sam/Sansa/Brienne/etc. PoV), and also because I feel like we would have gotten more hints at some point if GRRM suddenly had to add a PoV to see the events in a different place (like when he mentioned needing to see the Dornish reaction to something). Could be someone in the Mereen area...one of the Griff's, maybe? Or perhaps it could be Balon Swann, especially if Areos chapters are dealing with that...get two takes on it, ala AFFC where we hd 3 different Dornish characters. Just a couple ideas. A lot of areas seem like they'd be thoroughly covered, but we really can't say without more. With GRRM loving to drop hints though and this coming out of nowhere, I don't think it's a big time character (I think Jorah would apply to that, honestly).

To me, the biggest question is whether or not he's double-counting Theon. He's the most likely "returning worse for the wear" character, but would he then be listed as one of the Ironborn POVs?

Edit: Re-reading GRRM's post, he has to be, given the number of chapters this returning character is to have. I can't see any need to add an Ironborn character AND cut Aeron's chapters, and there's just no way that UnCat becomes the fourth-most-frequent POV.

I was just rereading and all I can say that I missed the part that their are going to be NEW Povs of characters he never introduced in previous books! Howland Reed as we've never seen him before or perhaps someone close to him? Man I am so excited.

I was just rereading and all I can say that I missed the part that their are going to be NEW Povs of characters he never introduced in previous books! Howland Reed as we've never seen him before or perhaps someone close to him? Man I am so excited.

I'm pretty sure George has said there will be no Howland Reed POVs ever because he knows too damn much.

Edit: Re-reading GRRM's post, he has to be, given the number of chapters this returning character is to have. I can't see any need to add an Ironborn character AND cut Aeron's chapters, and there's just no way that UnCat becomes the fourth-most-frequent POV.

I think it's pretty obvious that it has to be Theon. He is the only POV-character who missed "a couple of books" and is able to return because he's still living. Cat would have only missed one book.

Edit: and Theon is definately also counted towards the number of Iron Islands characters. Martin states that the three Iron Island characters are all returning POV's and we only had four Greyjoy-POV's (Theon, Asha, Aeron and Victarion). With Aeron out, Theon is definately one of the three.

Archived