GRRM's new Not a Blog post

marwyn

'Returning worse for the wear?' Oh, please let it be a certain Braavosi sword-master. That'd make my day--hell, it'd make my year!

:fencing:

"The next largest chunk o' chapters belongs to an old POV character who has been missing for a couple of books, but now returns to us... rather the worse for wear."

Gotta be Theon or Catelyn, I'm afraid. My hope/money's definitely on Reek.

So four new POVs i.e. Barristan, Melisandre, someone Dornish, and...?

I'm pretty sure George has said there will be no Howland Reed POVs ever because he knows too damn much.

I just remembered! DAMN! Oh well it will probably be someone close to him mayhaps?

Oh and btw Martin also said that Catelyn will not have another pov any time soon. Of course he could have changed his mind but seeing as I read one Theon chapter I have a feeling that its Theon.

"The next largest chunk o' chapters belongs to an old POV character who has been missing for a couple of books, but now returns to us... rather the worse for wear."

So four new POVs i.e. Barristan, Melisandre, someone Dornish, and...?

That's sort of the point, we don't know who the fourth is :P Its likely that it's someone we've never met or seen before.

As for the character "Rather the worse for the wear" it HAS to be theon, otherwise the count doesn't come out right. We know there's 16 PoV's in total, and we know all the other ones as well, so ya.

That's sort of the point, we don't know who the fourth is :P Its likely that it's someone we've never met or seen before.

As for the character "Rather the worse for the wear" it HAS to be theon, otherwise the count doesn't come out right. We know there's 16 PoV's in total, and we know all the other ones as well, so ya.

Yeah I realised that right after posting... I mean we have no clues as to who the fourth is other than that they've never had a POV before. Quentyn's totally new but there are so many characters floating around by now I kind of doubt he'll introduce more unfamiliar faces. Could be fun if it was Gendry or Jeyne Westerling or someone we wouldn't have guessed.

So I tried to map out a more or less realistic chapter breakdown for each POV character with the new information and I think something like this could be possible:

Daenerys 15

Jon 10

Tyrion 10

Theon 6

Arya 4

Bran 4

Davos 4

Asha 3

Barristan 2

Cersei 2

Jaime 2

Melisandre 2

Mystery POV 2

Quentyn 2

Victarion 2

Areo 1

Prologue 1

Epilogue 1

I think Daenerys will be the central character of the book and likely will have the most chapters, Jon and Tyrion could go either way. The rest is of course a lot of guesswork. Four chapters for Davos, Arya and Bran might be even too much, so that the remaining chapters might be even more evenly spread out between the remaining POV's.

I am holding out hope that the one undisclosed PoV or the undisclosed epilogue PoV will be a member of the Brotherhood without Banners, which will allow us to gain some insight into both Brienne's fate and the fate of the BwB itself.

Daenerys 15

Jon 10

Tyrion 10

Theon 6

Arya 4

Bran 4

Davos 4

Asha 3

Barristan 2

Cersei 2

Jaime 2

Melisandre 2

Mystery POV 2

Quentyn 2

Victarion 2

Areo 1

Prologue 1

Epilogue 1

That would be great! Because I wouldn't have to buy the book at all and I already spent all my book budget this year.

Daenerys 15

Jon 10

Tyrion 10

Theon 6

Arya 4

Bran 4

Davos 4

Asha 3

Barristan 2

Cersei 2

Jaime 2

Melisandre 2

Mystery POV 2

Quentyn 2

Victarion 2

Areo 1

Prologue 1

Epilogue 1

This list seems like a reasonable estimate. I don't think the 73-chapter total includes prologue and epilogue, but I could be mistaken there.

That would be great! Because I wouldn't have to buy the book at all and I already spent all my book budget this year.

Is there some sort of contest where you guess the number of POV chapters and you get a free book or something?

No. If less than 5% of the chapters in a book are interesting to me, I'll save the money.

Well surely you have known since AFFC came out that most of the book was going to be Dany/Jon/Tyrion.

But glad you heard it before you wasted your money.

Well surely you have known since AFFC came out that most of the book was going to be Dany/Jon/Tyrion.

I could always skip/skim those as usual. But _only_ two Melisandre chapters is not enough to buy a book, I guess.

But glad you heard it before you wasted your money.

Yeah, that's (not only) why I love this forum. Great work guys ...

Daenerys 12

Jon 12

Tyrion 11

Theon 6

Arya 4

Barristan 4

Jaime 4

Bran 3

Davos 3

Melisandre 3

Quentyn 3

Asha 2

Cersei 2

Victarion 2

Mystery POV 1

Areo 1

Prologue 1

Epilogue 1

I could also see Melisandre only having one chapter "The Red Woman" alla the AFFC chapters. If that's the case I think Bran and Quentyn are the most likely to increase. Maybe Asha. it's impossible to say, but a fun game.

This book will have to have UnGregor vs the Church's champion

It won't 'have' to have it, though given the timeline expansion it seems a reasonable extrapolation.

When was Davos confirmed?

GRRM has read two different Davos chapters out at conventions.

I belive this is going to be fantasy saga with the most confusing timeline ever.

Not even remotely. GRRM's got nothing on Steven Erikson so far.

My biggest disappointment is what seems to be the comparative unimportance of Bran in the story. I really want more than endless journeying in his storyline. I want to see some North-style magic beyond warging.

I agree with this sentiment. I feel like Bran's section of ASoS essentially constituted nothing but buildup. I'll be disappointed if his arc doesn't make at least some degree of meaningful progress in Dance.

I agree with this sentiment. I feel like Bran's section of ASoS essentially constituted nothing but buildup. I'll be disappointed if his arc doesn't make at least some degree of meaningful progress in Dance.

I have a feeling that Bran is the key to unraveling many of the mysteries, so he will likely not make any huge progress until the last book or so. I wouldn't be surprised if his last chapter in this book ends with him finally reaching the 3 eyed crow.

Archived