GRRM's new Not a Blog post

marwyn

Usually big authority figures like the kindly old man are not POVs.

Good! He speaks (and presumably thinks) in such cryptic existential clippings that I'd go cross-eyed trying to read it. 'Who are you? No one. Who am I? No one. What is the meaning of life? There is no meaning. To go forward, one must go back. To truly see, one must be blind.'

ARRRGGHH, that did it--I just went cross-eyed!

On the Dornish situation:

If I remember correctly the Arianne chapter moved to TWoW where supposed to cover a Dornish reaction to something happening in KL. And we are going to see at the end of ADwD what's going to happen in KL. The Hotah chapter(s) are likely going to continue the Dornish story. Meaning that it's very likely going to cover Arianne's and Doran's next moves concerning the Dany's return, and Balon Swann's arrival at Sunspear.

Isn't that meant to be the arrival of Gregor Clegane's head in Dorne, or is that fanon? I'm speculating, but presumably that event would be complicated by reports about UnGregor at Cersei's trial, which would tally with the rest of your post.

I'm very disapopinted that Theon will have a major role - especially more major than Bran??? Wtf!

I was happy with his PoV in aCoK - it was tense, well-characterized, and we did need to see Winterfell being overthrown.

However what could possibly be gained by watching Theon get tortured and eventually wander around the North is beyond me. Same with Asha. The purpose of the Iron Born in aFfC was clearly to get Euron and Victarion hooked up with Dany. There's honestly nothing else that is important to the actual plot of the books to talk about with these people. Now that Vic is on his way, nuke the stupid islands for all I care. If Theon and Asha are meant to rule the Iron Born together at the end, just have them crawl their way to the Seastone chair at the end of A Dream of Spring. We don't need to see Theon getting flayed and Asha rescuing him. blech.

Why don't you wait and read the book before you declare Theon's POV chapters worthless. You may not end up liking his arc in the book, but isn't it a little early to begin bitching and moaning when you're just guessing at how his story will work out? I'd also like to see more Bran chapters, but until we read the book I'm not going to start complaining about it.

The only thing I could see is that Theon is one of only 4 or 5 people that know Bran is alive, which is important to the Stark Children/Stark Restoration subplot (one of the three major subplots, IMO). But we don't need 10 Theon chapters to reveal that information. We don't even need one.

Theon can also identify the "Arya Stark" sent to marry Ramsay Bolton as not being Arya, which is fairly major. I don't envy Jeyne Poole much. :(

The last Brienne chapter takes place chronologically earlier than Jaime's last chapter in AFfC because it's snowing in Jaime's but not in Brienne's and she is farther north. Also the cold and snow comes to the Vale bigtime in its final chapter, so the Vale plot is ahead of Jaime's probably. If the last 1/3 of Dances brings all timelines constant, and since Brienne's is already behind all the others timeline wise, it needs to play catchup or it will be even further left in the dust er snow. Thereby my vote is Uncat (she is new, sort of) or even Blackfish, someone to bring the BwB and Uncat/Brienne timeline almost on an even keel with the others.

My guesses (and I'm not counting the prologue and epilogue as chapters):

Daenerys 12

Tyrion 12

Jon 11

Theon 7

Bran 5

Davos 5

Quentyn 4

Asha 3

Victarion 3

Barristan 2

Melisandre 2

Mystery POV 2

Areo 2

Arya 1

Cersei 1

Jaime 1

I'll also throw in my guess that the "Mystery POV" is Willis Tyrell.

I like this prediction much better. I want a Highgarden POV, and I think Barristan won't have more than 2 chapters and Arya 3. The only thing I'm going to add is that as a very rough estimate, 36 of the chapters are going to be after FfC, and half of those are going to be Dany/Jon/Tyrion chapters. Which leaves approximately 19 chapters to half of Theon/Davos/Bran/possibly Mel or Mystery, and all of Arya/Cersei/Jaime as far as major POVs go, as well as all of Asha/Victarion/Areo.

That said, I think a fair breakdown would be:

Huge POVs: Daenerys, Jon, and Tyron - 35 chapters. (17 in latter half)

Major POVs absent in FfC: Theon, Davos, Bran - 15 chapters. 6 Theon, 5 Davos, 4 Bran. (7 in latter half)

New POVs: Melisandre, Mystery POV - as long as a character has more than three chapters, I think they qualify for major POV status. 7 chapters. (3 chapters in latter half) (This also keeps with Martin's pattern of adding two new major POVs per book)

Major POVs from FfC: Jaime, Cersei, and Arya - 7 chapters. 3 for Arya, 2 for each twin, I think. (7 chapters in latter half) (even this seems a little generous if either Mel or Mystery POV have more than 4 chapters)

Guest POVs: Aero, Quentyn, Asha, Victarion, Barristan - 8 chapters. None will get more than 2. (4 chapters in latter half)

Final count: 21 non-Jon/Dany/Tyrion chapters in the second half. Not too far off from the initial prediction of 19. I stuck Barristan with the Guest POVs with Quentyn because I think it's a safe bet that we already have plenty of POVs in Mereen. Melisandre has more to offer as a replacement to Davos' Stannis insight and some perspective on the R'Hollor cult, not to mention that I think it's much more likely she or Stannis' entourage will leave the wall than Barristan will leave Mereen. I'm also banking on the probability that the new POV hasn't been revealed because they will be our second new major POV.

I think what this exercise shows is that either each guest POV is going to have a larger part, say 2 or 3 chapters each, and all of our new perspectives (Mel, Quentyn, Barristan, and Mystery) will all be guest POVS. Or one (or possibly even two) of Mel/Barristan/Mystery will be a major character with a lot of chapters and the guest POVs will rarely get more than 1 chapter each.

We don't know if there is going to be trial-by-combat in KL, but even if both Cersei and Margaery are demanding one, there 'Gregor Clegane' is not going to be a part of it. At least not as far as we know, as he would have to be named to the KG, and neither Cersei nor Margaery have the chance to do that right now, nor could they, as no KG member is dead - at least, as far as they know. And I'm pretty sure that Doran is not going to permit Balon Swann to write to KL after he discovers what happened to Myrcella, but even if he somehow succeeded in getting a message out of Sunspear, it should never arrive at KL before the High Septon is conducting the trial.

Thus, UnGregor is not going to be a part of the trial-by-combat. But Qyburn could of course use him to break Cersei out of the Great Sept, especially if she is found guilty and is awaiting her execution.

To Theon, and the Boltons:

Wert's assessment is not that unlikely. And Asha and Theon trying to reclaim the Iron Islands in the name of Stannis could very well explain why there would be an Aeron chapter at the very end of ADwD (or at the beginning of TWoW, where it is now), as Aeron really might support Asha and Theon, if Theon is going to be the new Lord of the Iron Islands. He did not support Asha because of her gender, but now he put his hopes into Victarion who has already lost at the Kingsmoot, and seems to have turned into Euron's lackey (both Asha and Aeron must believe this by now). So the last surviving son of Balon Greyjoy would be their only chance to try to oust Euron. Or at least to stir some trouble back home on the Islands.

But 'Reek' would really have to regain at least some of his wits to make this work.

As to the Boltons, I'm hoping/convinced that they will suffer some serious blows, and I'm rather sure the truth about 'Arya Stark' is going to be revealed during the wedding, spoiling it, and dealing a serious blow to Ramsay's claim to Winterfell. But Roose is going to prevail until TWoW, and I'm sure he is going to be the man who strikes a deal with the Others if/when they invade Westeros.

Theon's chapters in itself will be very interesting and helpful, as he is going to be the character to give us insight into House Bolton, the new major house in the North, and this is very important to understand the political struggle (and to get more insight into how things in ACoK/ASoS developed (i.e. if Ramsay's actions against Lady Hornwood and Winterfell were done with Roose's approval, and when and why Roose decided to betray Robb).

Stannis and Asha would make a very intersting 'couple', and if he and Asha will be able to secure a portion of the navy of the Ironborn, Stannis could become a force at sea again. The Ironborn could easily become a divided people, with one faction following Stannis, and the other faction allying in some fashion with Daenerys. That is, if GRRM intends to build Stannis up to become a real power standing in Dany's way when she returns (and this seems to be very likely).

We don't know if there is going to be trial-by-combat in KL, but even if both Cersei and Margaery are demanding one, there 'Gregor Clegane' is not going to be a part of it. At least not as far as we know, as he would have to be named to the KG, and neither Cersei nor Margaery have the chance to do that right now, nor could they, as no KG member is dead - at least, as far as they know. And I'm pretty sure that Doran is not going to permit Balon Swann to write to KL after he discovers what happened to Myrcella, but even if he somehow succeeded in getting a message out of Sunspear, it should never arrive at KL before the High Septon is conducting the trial.

Thus, UnGregor is not going to be a part of the trial-by-combat. But Qyburn could of course use him to break Cersei out of the Great Sept, especially if she is found guilty and is awaiting her execution.

I'm in complete agreement here and find your later suggestion far more likely than Gregor fighting in a trial by combat. There are timing issues, practical issues, and logical issues that would prevent that from happening. There is a reason that the writer set-up the story in a way that Cersei cannot choose whoever she wants to fight for her.

When Gregor is used, my own guess is that it will be for one of three things: (1) He helps Cersei escape from imprionsment; (2) Cersei uses him as an assassin; (3) Qyburn loses control and he kills Tommen. Perhaps maybe a combination of the three, or all three.

But 'Reek' would really have to regain at least some of his wits to make this work.

He'll have to regain some fingers, too, if he's to do any fighting. IIRC, he chewed some of them off when he was starving in Reek's cell--and Bolton then removed one or more of them and fed them to him.

My guesses (and I'm not counting the prologue and epilogue as chapters):

I'll also throw in my guess that the "Mystery POV" is Willis Tyrell.

Upon reflection, I think you are close...but not quite.

Willis? I think Margaery or Loras would be a better choice. I'm betting on Loras, as revealing he has a POV is, in essence, giving away the punchline.

IMO, Loras is not-even-close-to-being-so-injured-as-Cersei-was-lead-to-believe. Rumours of his being on death's door was the only way the Tyrells/LF could ensure that Cersei would not choose Loras as her Champion. You will recall that when the "news" of Loras' burning was given to Margaery by Cersei, Lady Taena went that night to Margaery to "console her". What Taena really did was go to Margaery and whisper to her the truth: that Loras took only a minor injury at Dragonstone and he is, in fact, fine.

It was also Lady Taena who was set to remind Cersei that the Queen must by tradition choose a Champion of the Kingsguard as Cersei readied herself to go to the Great Sept to be accused by a Kettleblack. Cersei remembers it and Taena, her task done, leaves the stage -- and Kings Landing. Cersei heads to the Sept to be caught by Kettleblack's accusation.

If there is a Kettleblack involved, LF's shadow can't be far behind. The whole thing, from start to finish, is a set-up.

I was being tongue in cheek. I just think a chapter from Rickon, where he does nothing beyond cry constantly for nonsensical reasons, would be hilarious.

Why not an Osha point of view? Of course that would be weird but not that unusual I think.

If I remember correctly the Arianne chapter moved to TWoW where supposed to cover a Dornish reaction to something happening in KL.

All GRRM said was that there would be an event that would, of necessity, prompt a Dornish reaction. The idea that it had to be in KL was a common assumption, but GRRM never said that the event wouldn't take place in Dorne itself.

I am surprised that Jaime has a chapter(s). Of any of the aFfC characters, I would have thought that Jaime's story arc was at a satisfactory standstill, possibly traveling to the Crag. The fact that he has a chapter(s) is very interesting. Is he traveling north?

The abundance of Theon chapters makes me think that there is a lot more going on in the north than many of us expected. I can't help but think that the Wall falls much sooner than we expected (2/3 way through aDwD). The shit has to hit the fan sometime...

The epilogue POV is the most interesting. We have no confirmed POVs in Oldtown, the Vale, or the Marsh (although Davos may be close). Anybody else think we might see Robert Arryn perish in the epilogue?

The mystery POV has got me thinking. Has anyone ever considered Marwyn the Mage?

ADwD has a theme of characters travelling to find Dany and her dragons and potentially using them for their own purposes. We have an Ironborn on his way (Victarian - to wage war on Euron), a Lannister (Tyrion - to wage war on Cercei), a Doornishman (Quentyn - to wage war on the Lannisters), and we also have Marwyn claiming at the end of AFFC that Dany requires counselling and advice. That the Masters have an agenda against magic all things magical including the Targaryens and their dragons. In AFFC there was massive magical revivals going on. Valyrian candles which are used much like LoTR Palantitir are used to communicate across vast distances. The Others are returning. In this backdrop Marwyn claimed he was going to Dany advise her and that she needed him. Is it not therefore possible that Marwyn with all that he revealed in AFFC might reach Dany and assist her in ADWD and be given a POV. Of course he will not be given many chapters as the Mystery or potentially even the Epilogue POV. It seems to follow the trend of characters travelling East to find Dany.

Does anyone think there is any merit to this possibility?

Does anyone think there is any merit to this possibility?

My concerns are two fold. First, that Marwyn might simply know too much secretive information to be a POV. Second, the sheer number of POVs already present in Meereen. At some point, enough is enough. Daenerys, Victarion, Tyrion, Barristan, and Quentyn will be there, do we really a sixth POV?

The epilogue POV is the most interesting. We have no confirmed POVs in Oldtown, the Vale, or the Marsh (although Davos may be close). Anybody else think we might see Robert Arryn perish in the epilogue?

For the record, I still think that Littlefinger will die before Robert Arryn. And Robert would be an interesting guest POV.

I also get the very weird feeling like we'll eventually get an Edmure guest chapter or two, probably in WoW. Assuming the Freys will be killed to a man, the Tullys still need to regain control of the Riverlands. It would be nice to have a Tully perspective on that as well as an insight into Jeyne Westerling's disappearance, and I think that Blackfish's machinations would be best left secret. An Edmure chapter, on the other hand, would give us all that, plus let us know what's going on at Casterly Rock.

As for the Epilogue, so far the prologues/epilogues have been at the Wall, Storm's End, Oldtown, and the Riverlands. The fact we've had three at the Wall doesn't discount the possibility of repeats, but I'd hazard a guess that you're right in thinking it will be someplace we won't see in the regular POVs. I'd think the Vale and Oldtown can safely be ruled out. I'd say we're looking at the Marshes, Westerlands, the Reach, or Dorne.

Which reminds me, someone brought up the subject that because Quentyn isn't in Dorne he might not count as one of the two Dorne POVs. I think it's safe to say he is, because aside from Darkstar, or maybe Myrcella/Trystane/Doran (neither of which I think will ever get POVs), the only candidates we have are the Sand Snakes. And I think it's fairly safe to say that Arienne's chapters were moved to WoW because she's still trapped in the tower. If she's still trapped, so are her sisters, ergo no Sand Snake chapters. Unless they do something interesting like catch cabin fever and kill each other.

That was also a reason why i think Marwyn wouldn't be a good candidate. He's either not as important as i initially thought, maybe he knows too much, plus there are already many POVs in the East. But i felt Sam's chapter at the end of AFFC was more of a cliffhanger ending than Sansa's, Cercei's, or Brienne's. I feel it has more potential for the story to develop. I feel that magic is becoming more a part of the series. It is called A Song of Ice and Fire. The Lands of Always Summer are antithetical to the Lands of Always Winter. There is a war between ice (others) and fire (R'llor). Its much more than the game for power the series started as. I feel that with that dynamic and the dying of the War of Five Kings in AFFC and the entering of the story into a new phase, that Marwyn as a POV presents possibilities.

Archived