GRRM's new Not a Blog post

marwyn

In my mind, it is far more likely that Brienne will be killed in one of the Jaime POVs, probably as he is making his way to King's Landing, which would resolve the cliffhanger and the character of Brienne in one stroke. What really, is there left to tell? Is this a story (i.e., Jaime/Brienne) that needs to be expanded into the next book, even as far more important things engulf the realm (i.e., Daenerys)?

I'm having trouble imagining how that would work, but I'm not clear myself on where this is all going. GRRM gave Brienne a lot of screen-time just to have her die in a Jaime chapter without much fanfare. If Brienne were to kill Jaime, then suddenly her prominence in AFFC would make more sense; but the foreshadowing suggests that Jaime and Cersei are going to die together, and I'm not sure where Brienne would fit in to that. (Maybe Brienne stumbles upon Jaime after he's strangled Cersei to death?)

In any case, I assume that Brienne's story will have larger implications than just for her and Jaime.

Unlikely, given that we'll already have Reek/Theon to witness what the Boltons are up to.

Reek shows us what Ramsey is up to. However, Ramsey and Roose are separated by the ironborn at Moat Cailin, at least to start with. Fake Arya/Jeyne Poole gives us a POV on what Roose is up to at the same time.

As long as the Freys hold the Twins and thus the crossing of the Trident they will always remain a power in the area, even if strapped of their titles and lands.

Even giving the Twins to someone else - like the Tully - won't solve the problem because you'll never know if in the future the Tully might become your enemies.

The only possible solution is destroying the Twins, building more bridges to allow the crossing of the Triden without being subject to the will of the Lords of the Crossing.

That is far from the only possible solution. Tearing down a perfectly good bridge would be an act of folly. Building more has some merit, but if it could be done easily it would have been done before. Didn't it take generations for the Frey's to build a bridge that could withstand both the river and determined enemies?

It would be much simpler and equally effective to have the Royal Treasury tax the Freys - leave them enough to feel they have something to lose but not so much that they can support the thousands of men-at-arms we see in AGOT. A ward/hostage or two wouldn't hurt either.

I'm having trouble imagining how that would work, but I'm not clear myself on where this is all going. GRRM gave Brienne a lot of screen-time just to have her die in a Jaime chapter without much fanfare. If Brienne were to kill Jaime, then suddenly her prominence in AFFC would make more sense; but the foreshadowing suggests that Jaime and Cersei are going to die together, and I'm not sure where Brienne would fit in to that. (Maybe Brienne stumbles upon Jaime after he's strangled Cersei to death?)

In any case, I assume that Brienne's story will have larger implications than just for her and Jaime.

I think any and all significance in Brienne's death would necessarily come in the way it impacted Jaime. I don't think she will actually kill Jaime because of the same reason you give, namely, that Jaime is needed to do away with Cersei.

More to the point, I just see no compelling reason to shove Brienne into the background and then bring her back later to . . . do what exactly? The only parts of her story that are developed have to do with Jaime, Catelyn and, to a lesser degree, Sansa. Sure, the author can always further expand her story to include developments with other characters but then you have to start wondering whether Brienne merits such time and effort given her relative lack of importance within the series. As it is, the story is supposed to be contracting, not the opposite.

I suppose she can show up at a much later date to kill Jaime after the latter has chocked Cersei to death but then what does Brienne do in the meantime? Become a full-pledged member of the Brotherhood Without Banners? Help to storm to Riverrun and slaughter Freys? Is this really where her story is going?

I would think that if Catelyn spared her life it would be to carry out the mission of killing Jaime and only that. Jaime, as it so happens, is not too difficult to find. I think it stretches credibility to think that Brienne, given a horse, a sword, and a royal pass, could not find Jaime rather promptly. In any case, I've outlined before how this will play out here. Basically, I think Catelyn will tell Brienne about what Roose Bolton said before he killed Robb Stark and what Jaime said to Edmure Tully before taking Riverrun. Brienne will put two and two together and start having doubts about Jaime because of what happened during the dinner between him and Roose Bolton, which, I'm sure you remember, Brienne was taken away from before it concluded. This will be enough to goad her into killing Jaime but I think she will ultimately waiver in the end and be killed right in front of her target, probably by one of Jaime's men (perhaps even Illyn Payne).

I think any and all significance in Brienne's death would necessarily come in the way it impacted Jaime.

Without knowing how you anticipate it impacting Jaime, I have to say that it still sounds like an anti-climax to me. (Your link says that her death would leave Jaime devastated, but would this affect his arc in any way?)

I suppose she can show up at a much later date to kill Jaime after the latter has chocked Cersei to death but then what does Brienne do in the meantime? Become a full-pledged member of the Brotherhood Without Banners? Help to storm to Riverrun and slaughter Freys? Is this really where her story is going?

I don't think she has to do much of anything significant in the meantime. I could see a situation where we get one early POV that establishes her new mission, and then nothing more until she shows up to kill him. Your point on the plausibility of Brienne taking a while to reach Jaime is well-taken, though; and it's something that I'll have to think about.

Reek shows us what Ramsey is up to. However, Ramsey and Roose are separated by the ironborn at Moat Cailin, at least to start with. Fake Arya/Jeyne Poole gives us a POV on what Roose is up to at the same time.

That would mean two POVs devoted to observing what the Boltons are up to. That's one too many, IMO, especially given that Reek is apparently the POV who'll have the most chapters after the Big Three.

I think it would be appealing, storytelling-wise, to have Brienne attack Jaime and thereby publicly expose his incapability to fight.

I’m not sure at all if this is going to happen, though. As far as I remember the facts from the end of aFfC, Jaime is about to travel through the Riverlands and the BwB knows about this. If this is correct, I assume such an attack would happen soon (i.e. in the few Jaime-chapters of aDwD), or not at all. We’ll see.

I have to think that the final unnamed POV is someone really special. George has already spilled the beans on all the other new POV's, characters so surprising and exciting that you could easily imagine that he would not even want to tell us they are POV's in this book. Barristan, Melisandre, Quentyn Martell. But now this final one he refuses to tell us.

I have to think that the final unnamed POV is someone really special. George has already spilled the beans on all the other new POV's, characters so surprising and exciting that you could easily imagine that he would not even want to tell us they are POV's in this book. Barristan, Melisandre, Quentyn Martell. But now this final one he refuses to tell us.

Hmm... Gerion Lannister?

I would speculate that GRRM withholding this character from us means that he/she is new or someone whose very mention would be a spoiler. So in that sense, just too hard for us to even make educated guesses at who this may be.

As for how the POV's are divided, Dany will have the most I am sure, and then Jon may have a bit more than Tyrion since he will be sharing his POV location with Melisandre only, wheras Tyrion is already in the midst of many other POV's. I keep hoping, as do others, that we will see some interesting revelations in Bran's story. It's been 11 years, and not a word since. I'm hoping for 4 chapters as a bare minimum.

Nice one. Maybe Howland Reed?

I'm trying to hunt it down in So Spake Martin but I'm pretty sure he's been ruled out by Martin as a POV because he knows too much about the backstory.

I'm trying to hunt it down in So Spake Martin but I'm pretty sure he's been ruled out by Martin as a POV because he knows too much about the backstory.

Sounds reasonable. A shame really, but I like the idea of Gerion Lannister (although I think it's unlikely).

Question...are we even sure he's "hiding it from us"?

I'm actually not sure. He may have since refused to reveal it. But nowhere am I reading anything along the lines of "Here are the new PoVs...except for this last one which is a secret!" We know there's a mystery one only because we've done the math and he said "Well, there are four characters who haven't had PoV yet" and we knew of 3 of them. Keep in mind, on his Not a Blog, he isn't even admitting Theon is in the book, and that's been known for awhile (he just cryptically refers to him as a character that hasn't had a PoV in a couple books and is not well off right now). It's possible that it's a big name, but I think some of you guys may be setting your sights too high based on GRRM not saying who it is. He didn't reveal any of the mystery PoVs on the blog. I think it's just as possible that the other mystery one isn't anyone that important so he didn't even bother to hint at it like he did the others.

I'd also say we don't know exactly what he means by "new characters". If he just means new PoV characters it could be almost anyone. If he actually means new, never MENTIONED in the books characters, it would have to be one of them, since even Quentyn was mentioned. That would imply it could be one of the Griffs or someone with them, or another character we simply haven't heard of yet. Which would be another reason to not mention it...I have no idea if GRRM revealed all the new PoVs before Feast, but would it have meant anything at all if he said "And Areo is a PoV!!"? I'd have no idea who that even was.

Question...are we even sure he's "hiding it from us"?

Good question. I think people are assuming more of a plan to which POV GRRM reveals than actually exists. For a long time, GRRM would only mention that there was a new POV that would help with the Meereenese knot. Then last week, with minimal fanfare, he announced that it would be Ser Barristan. He initially refused to reveal Melisandre while giving a few hints that it might be her; then eventually he named her as well. I don't think that there's any kind of coordinated strategy. Honestly, he may not even remember which POVs he's announced and which ones he hasn't.

Archived