GRRM's new Not a Blog post

marwyn

How could you ever skip over any chapters while reading the book the first time? I could see on rereads, but not the very first time, you'd miss so much.

And as much as I hate Theon, I think his arc in this book will be very important. In fact as others have pointed out Martin says he has the most chapters after Dany, Jon and Tyrion.

So, thanks to GRRM's new NaB post about DwD it seems we can finally put together a final PoV list. There's 16 in total, not including the prologue or epilogue characters.

Prologue character: Varamyr Sixskins

- Tyrion

- Jon

- Daenerys

- Davos

- Bran

- Reek

- Asha

- Victarion (Gotta be Victarion and Asha, since Aeron is confirmed to not be in the book, and there'd be 3 old ironborn PoV's)

- Cersei

- Melisandre

- Arya

- Barristan

- Jaime

- Quentyn

- Areo Hotah (there would be "one old dornish PoV, one new". I figure the new one is Quentyn, and the old one is not Arianne since she won't be in the book. Since Arys is dead, that leaves Hotah)

- One more new PoV (this one has to be new since he said there'd be 4 new viewpoint characters introduced: Mel, Barristan, Quentyn, and this guy. So it seems we're left with yet another new "Mystery PoV"

Epilogue character: No clue (Epilogue confirmed though)

We got a lot of info about the amounts of chapters as well: there's 73 chapters in 1510 MS pages, which I think is quite nice. It means the chapters on average are shorter than in FfC (but still longer than in GoT,CoK,and SoS). Also almost half of the book will be given to Jon, Tyrion, and Dany.

All in all, the not a blog post is a very interesting read, giving a lot of details about the writing process of DwD.

Does Cersei having PoV chapters in ADwD mean she will live? I was certain her death was coming when she had that conversation with Qyburn.

How could you ever skip over any chapters while reading the book the first time? I could see on rereads, but not the very first time, you'd miss so much.

And as much as I hate Theon, I think his arc in this book will be very important. In fact as others have pointed out Martin says he has the most chapters after Dany, Jon and Tyrion.

Most of the important story lines are usually overlapped with other characters. I'm not too interested in the story of the Iron Islands TBH.

What's up with Martin's tendency of reviving unlikeable characters anyways? First Theon and then Cat. He could've at least brought back likeable characters.

Spoilers!

Since this thread is concerned with the possible POVs of the new book and since I somehow can't start a new thread, I'll post this here:

1. Concerning a possible epilogue-POV:

Somewhere upthread it was speculated that Ser Patrek of King's Mountain might be the undisclosed epilogue-POV. To me Ser Patrek qualifies for an epilogue-POV, since he seems to die at the end of ADWD.

Furthermore the circumstances and manner of his death are regarded as highly spoilerish by editor Anne Groell, making it even more likely in my opinion that he is the epilogue-POV.

Ser Patrek seems to die in one of the following manners:

a) flamed to a crisp by a dragon

B) devoured by wolves

c) pulled apart by a giant

d) burned at the stake

e) baked in a pie

Confirm:

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2011/05/dance-with-dragons-news.html

and

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2011/06/win-autographed-copy-of-george-r-r.html

2. There seems to be a new cover blurb, that sheeds some more light on Tyrion's story arc and the often speculated about mystery-POV:

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance—beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has thousands of enemies, and many have set out to find her. As they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

Fleeing from Westeros with a price on his head, Tyrion Lannister, too, is making his way to Daenerys. But his newest allies in this quest are not the rag-tag band they seem, and at their heart lies one who could undo Daenerys’s claim to Westeros forever.

Meanwhile, to the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone—a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

From all corners, bitter conflicts reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all.

Confirm: http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2011/06/win-autographed-copy-of-george-r-r.html

The second paragraph of an earlier quoted blurb read as follows:

Now that her whereabouts are known many are seeking Daenerys and her dragons. Among them the dwarf, Tyrion Lannister, who has escaped King’s Landing with a price on his head, wrongfully condemned to death for the murder of his nephew, King Joffrey. But not before killing his hated father, Lord Tywin.

Confirm: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dance-Dragons-Book-Song-Fire/dp/0002247399/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307089599&sr=1-1

So, maybe the mystery-POV really is someone like baby-Aegon grown up or the Mummers-dragon/Young Griff? What do you think?

What's up with Martin's tendency of reviving unlikeable characters anyways? First Theon and then Cat. He could've at least brought back likeable characters.

Some people do like Cat. :) And while Theon's isn't likeable, his story in aCoK was very gripping. I'm interested to see what becomes of him.

OTOH, GRRM isn't into rampant populism. Although, he does leave fan favourites in peril at times and they do survive. :)

Does Cersei having PoV chapters in ADwD mean she will live?

She'll live for one more chapter anyhow. :)

Fleeing from Westeros with a price on his head, Tyrion Lannister, too, is making his way to Daenerys. But his newest allies in this quest are not the rag-tag band they seem, and at their heart lies one who could undo Daenerys’s claim to Westeros forever.

My money's on Young Griff, set up as a Targ pretender by the Golden Company. Would probably have to be a child of Rhaegar's to supersede Dany's claim to the succession so baby Aegon or even R+L=Griff? Though the "forever" bit makes me think they might be aiming higher up the food chain so it could be some scion who survived the War of the Ninepenny Kings.

Well spotted, Dingsda.

My money's on Young Griff, set up as a Targ pretender by the Golden Company. Would probably have to be a child of Rhaegar's to supersede Dany's claim to the succession so baby Aegon or even R+L=Griff?

Well spotted, Dingsda.

seconded, well spotted, Dingsda.

The Targ custom is that men inherit before women so even if the false Aegon is younger than Dany, he has the weight of tradition behind him in asserting a better right to the throne.

Some people do like Cat. :) And while Theon's isn't likeable, his story in aCoK was very gripping. I'm interested to see what becomes of him.

OTOH, GRRM isn't into rampant populism. Although, he does leave fan favourites in peril at times and they do survive. :)

You have to admit though, it's getting quite annoying. It's like becoming a norm for the assholes to be continuously brought back to life now. Add Gregor Clegane to the list of characters I had hoped would remain dead. The original reason I had liked this series was because after the characters died, they remained dead. Now it's just another fantasy series it seems.

You have to admit though, it's getting quite annoying. It's like becoming a norm for the assholes to be continuously brought back to life now.

Heh. :P I think GRRM will think he was quite fair. One of the bad guys "Gregor" and one of the good guys "Catelyn".

I always thought it amusing about the "stayed dead" thing is that in the opening prologue somebody died but didn't stay that way. You cant' say GRRM didn't warn us.

a) flamed to a crisp by a dragon

This one sounded really cool until I remembered it has already happened in one of the spoiler chapters.

B) devoured by wolves

I'm thinking one of the Boltons if not both.

c) pulled apart by a giant

Have no clue. Obviously, if it happens, it will be in the North. But beyond that, I wouldn't venture a guess.

d) burned at the stake

Shireen.

e) baked in a pie

Really interesting because it seems to recall the Rat Cook. But how does that fit into the current story? In the legends, the Rat Cook baked a prince and served him to his father, the king. Or maybe it won't be related to the legend at all. Either way, have no good idea on this death either.

We already know of someone burned at the stake from the chapters GRRM has read.

Oh right, I had forgotten. Well, there we are. The dragons, wolves, and burning are already out of the running.

seconded, well spotted, Dingsda.

The Targ custom is that men inherit before women so even if the false Aegon is younger than Dany, he has the weight of tradition behind him in asserting a better right to the throne.

I was thinking in terms of succession rather than gender: a trumped-up Aegon would inherit the Iron Throne as direct heir of Crown Prince Rhaegar, rather than the crown passing to Dany by default. Dany's claim is stronger than the Baratheons because their claim comes through Rhaelle: Dany's a closer relation to Aerys so takes precedence, even though she's female and Rhaelle's heirs are male.

We've had no hint that Aerys had any other children, so if not through Rhaegar, any challenge to Dany's claim would come from further up the family tree. It would also have to be stronger than the Baratheon claim, so no further back than Jaehaerys. Maybe something to do with Jenny of Oldstones and the Prince of Dragonflies?

Really interesting because it seems to recall the Rat Cook. But how does that fit into the current story? In the legends, the Rat Cook baked a prince and served him to his father, the king. Or maybe it won't be related to the legend at all. Either way, have no good idea on this death either.

I can't imagine any way it could happen but wouldn't that be the best way for Walder Frey to go?

Archived