Warning: Contains Winds of Winter/Dance with Dragons spoiler

Recentiy03

<spoiler> So, according to GRRM's most recent blog, in which he details the process/time line behind writing DwD, Brienne lives! Apparently she is among the characters who had completed chapters removed from DwD because the book was on the verge of exceeding its page limit...this is awesome news! She is one of my favorites! </end spoiler>

Edit - Well, it seems this is not much of a spoiler, after all. "Just because she doesn't, doesn't mean she does"...or something like that. It's funny how perception affects reality and how desire affects perception...I want Brienne to be alive so I read it in a way to fulfill the possibility :rolleyes:

<spoiler> So, according to GRRM's most recent blog, in which he details the process/time line behind writing DwD, Brienne lives! Apparently she is among the characters who had completed chapters removed from DwD because it was on the verge of exceeding it's page limit...this is awesome news! She is one of my favorites! </end spoiler>

You almost got it. Use brackets [ ] instead of parentheses but otherwise like this: (spoiler) Text you want to write (/spoiler) You can practice by previewing before you post :thumbsup:

<spoiler> So, according to GRRM's most recent blog, in which he details the process/time line behind writing DwD, Brienne lives! Apparently she is among the characters who had completed chapters removed from DwD because it was on the verge of exceeding it's page limit...this is awesome news! She is one of my favorites! </end spoiler>

That's well spotted. I completely overlooked that despite previously reading that blog article. I guess I never really thought Brienne died at the end of that Chapter. Whatever she yelled out, saved her and struck a chord with UnCat in order to spare her. I always thought that was what had happened as otherwise Brienne dying at such a point makes little sense for the narrative.

Not necessarily. Martin says:

"Sansa, Sam, Aeron Damphair, Arianne, and Brienne have no chapters in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. Several of those characters had chapters written, completed, and polished that have been moved into THE WINDS OF WINTER."

Brienne may not necessarily be one of the several to whom he refers. I do think she survived, though.

The blog post doesn't actually say that. GRRM says that Brienne is one of the characters that will not have a POV in ADWD, and that several of the viewpoint characters who don't have a chapter in ADWD have material already written; but never that Brienne is one of those people.

That's well spotted. I completely overlooked that despite previously reading that blog article. I guess I never really thought Brienne died at the end of that Chapter. Whatever she yelled out, saved her and struck a chord with UnCat in order to spare her. I always thought that was what had happened as otherwise Brienne dying at such a point makes little sense for the narrative.

That's true...for some reason I felt like it was a bit ambiguous. I know GRRM often leaves cliffhangers, but you can never be certain. I remember I had a surprising emotional response the second time I read/heard that scene, considering I knew what to expect, because Brienne's character had grown on me.

Not necessarily. Martin says:

"Sansa, Sam, Aeron Damphair, Arianne, and Brienne have no chapters in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. Several of those characters had chapters written, completed, and polished that have been moved into THE WINDS OF WINTER."

Brienne may not necessarily be one of the several to whom he refers. I do think she survived, though.

It could be misdirection, but (to me) it seems to indicate that he at least plans on continuing her narrative...if he hasn't already.

It could be misdirection, but (to me) it seems to indicate that he at least plans on continuing her narrative...if he hasn't already.

Yep, he specifically mentions Brienne as a character POV though. He does not namecheck Arys Oakheart or Ned because they are dead. If Brienne was dead too, then why even mention her?

Yep, he specifically mentions Brienne as a character POV though. He does not namecheck Arys Oakheart or Ned because they are dead. If Brienne was dead too, then why even mention her?

Precisely...I believe it is an olive branch for the fact that she won't appear in DwD...fellow Brienne fans, we may now exhale...

Because if he didn't mention her, people would conclude that she had a POV chapter in ADWD.

Archived