[BOOK SPOILERS] Nudity required for Mellisandre's role.

Anomandaris86

Winter Is Coming has casting descriptions up for Brienne and Mellisandre, and at the end of Mellisandre's description it says "Nudity required." Now, my memory's a little hazy, but does Mellisandre ever show tit in the books? I can't recall any instances, but maybe some of you can. If we rule out tit flashes though, there's only thing it could possibly mean - her giving "birth" to that shadow monster that takes Storm's End (or is it the one that kills Renly too? I can't remember). I knew how it was described in the books, but I felt pretty sure they would change it a little in the series. Wide-open snatch shots - that's hardcore even for HBO.

Thoughts? Maybe I've forgotten some things but the only conclusion I can draw at the moment.

I don't know how it would help/hinder the story, but I want to recall the initial description of her had her dress/robes as being very sheer and loose, such that her breast may become exposed and then covered just by walking.

In subsequent descriptions (the one on the Wall comes to mind) she is commented on as having very thin clothes, where everyone on the Wall is bundled up and she is in silks. Her comment "The lord of light burns within me and keeps me warm..." or somesuch.

I don't know how it would help/hinder the story, but I want to recall the initial description of her had her dress/robes as being very sheer and loose, such that her breast may become exposed and then covered just by walking.

Where is this discription at? Cressens Prologue?

Is everybody forgetting the scene when she gives birth to the shadow under Storm's End? Not only is she nude, she's heavily pregnant and glistening in sweat.

"I want to recall" seems right... Didn't happen, no such passage. :)

But yes, I expect this indicates they want to show the shadow-baby birth... and since we've abandoned POV structures, I expect we may see how she actually conceives it with Stannis.

"I want to recall" seems right... Didn't happen, no such passage. :)

Oh, FFS, one sec.....

(digs CoK out of Kindle archive...)

Page 23/1034 - Prologue "...said Lady Melisandre, her deep voice flavored with the music of the Jade Sea. "You ought take more care." As ever, she wore red, head to heel, a long loose gown of flowing silk as bright as fire, with dagged sleeves and deep slashes in the bodice that showed glimpses of a darker bloodred fabric beneath...with full breasts, narrow waist, and a heart-shaped face. Men's eyes that once found her did not quickly look away..."

Page 622/1034 - Davos "...Melisandre had thrown back her cowl and shrugged out of the smothering robe, beneath she was naked and huge with child..."

I think in my mind I tied these two together, her being nude, and the loose silk gown.

Give yourself a +1 for calling my bluff, I guess.... <_<

There is not only nudity required for the role, she is also identified as Stannis' lover in the casting description. I'm sure that would not be the case, if they would not intend to show us some intimacy between these two. If they would portray them as they were portrayed in the books, there would be no prove that they have a sexual relationship.

And I'm pretty sure they will inter cut the Loras/Renly 'praying scene' with the Stannis/Mel conceiving the first shadow child. Both a crucial moments for Stannis and Renly, and the series is most certainly going to show them. And they could even use Renly and Stannis having sex as a way to show the differences between these two characters (I'm not talking about their preferences here, but about the way they are interaction with their lovers - Stannis most certainly would be awkward even around a woman as attractive as Melisandre. Although I don't want the audience does not only want to comfort Stannis during this night. No one should know about the shadow child until it cuts Renly's throat - at least in my opinion.

Sualk beat me to it. Knowing HBO, they'll probably through in a Melisandre-Stannis sex scene as well (although that sounds rather squicky).

If by SQUICKY you mean SUPER HOT then YES! :drool:

Stannis isn't incredibly old or ugly or anything. He's bald, sure, but bald can be hot. He's of an age between Renly and Robert, so in his 30's or maybe early 40's. He's described as being wiry and tough with not an ounce of fat on him.

I have always imagined that Melisandre's seduction of Stannis to make shadowbabies involves her magic heavily, and that he may or may not be aware of what exactly is happening (he might think he's participating in a "ceremony" it's just that this particular ceremony happens to involve some kinky-ass sex at the end). I hope it's not just vanilla sex, is all I'm saying. :blush:

Actually, with respect to a Melisandre and Stannis sex scene, I'm troubled that they might show it. As posters above have indicated, it isn't even entirely clear whether Stannis even knows they've had sex. There is some strangeness to it all, because Stannis doesn't seem to have any affection for her and he seems blissfully unaware of the shadows she gives births to, so you have to question why he would agree to have sex with her in the first place. With most men, the answer would be obvious, but Stannis doesn't appear to be one to give way to his lusts like that, not if his comments about Robert are anything to go by.

There is not only nudity required for the role, she is also identified as Stannis' lover in the casting description.

It says she's his EVENTUAL lover, though, so that could be referring to some place down the line, perhaps several seasons. I hope that's the case as I really don't think she had sex with him in book 2. I guess we'll get to find out when A Dance with Dragons comes out.

It says she's his EVENTUAL lover, though, so that could be referring to some place down the line, perhaps several seasons. I hope that's the case as I really don't think she had sex with him in book 2. I guess we'll get to find out when A Dance with Dragons comes out.

It's all but confirmed that Melisandre had sex with Stannis during the procedure to create shadow clones of Stannis from a Davos chapter in aSoS. Melisandre describes how she uses Stannis "life force" to create the shadows, and that it's become too weak to make many more. But if Davos agreed, she could use his lifeforce - and would provide him pleasure beyond imagining in the process. So... take that as you will.

What's unclear is how much Stannis knows. Was he asleep while this was happening? Drugged? Magically amnesia'd? Totally aware and pretending he doesn't know or care?

Actually, with respect to a Melisandre and Stannis sex scene, I'm troubled that they might show it. As posters above have indicated, it isn't even entirely clear whether Stannis even knows they've had sex. There is some strangeness to it all, because Stannis doesn't seem to have any affection for her and he seems blissfully unaware of the shadows she gives births to, so you have to question why he would agree to have sex with her in the first place. With most men, the answer would be obvious, but Stannis doesn't appear to be one to give way to his lusts like that, not if his comments about Robert are anything to go by.

Some people didnt consider Renly + Loras = Gay either. Some people say the book lacks proof.

Considering all the hints that Melisandre is pregnant of a shadow that looks like Stannis and that he loses some life energy after it Im quite sure they have sex, even if Stannis doesnt know about it (Im pretty sure he has some kind of amnesia about it and the assassinations).

are you sure that stannis doesn't know about it or does not want to admit to knowing it? anyways, I hope they make sure that the sex scenes with stannis and mellisandre are creepy and ritualistic as they are imagined to be.

Archived