aDwD Inconsistency ( Spoilers Within)

TheBerk

GRRM in his latest blog post says there are:

16 viewpoints

2 Dornish (1 new, 1 old)

3 Ironborn (all old)

4 new viewpoints (not including prologue and epilogue)

He mentions by name that the following appear:

1 Jon

2 Arya

3 Bran

4 Tyrion

5 Daenerys

6 Theon (alluded)

7 Jaime

8 Cersei

9 Prologue

10 Epilogue

Three ironborn:

Theon (already counted)

11 Asha

12 Victarion

4 New Viewpoints:

13 Barristan

14 Mellisandre

15 Quentyn (new Dornish)

The problem is the 16th. GRRM says it is both a new viewpoint (4 total) and an old Dornish.

Did he miscount? Are there 17? Is there no old Dornish..ie. No Areo Hotah?

16 POVs plus the prologue and epilogue characters. So 18 in total, including the Prologue character,

Varamyr Sixskins

, the unnamed epilogue character, an unnamed new POV character, and Areo Hotah as the old Dornish POV character (though technically he's not Dornish, he's definitely part of the 'Dornish cast' and was repeatedly referred to as one of the Dornish POVs in AFFC by GRRM).

I would assume that the 73 chapters includes the prologue and epilogue.

I assumed it doesn't include the prologue and epilogue, as the POV count didn't, and I don't think prologues and epilogues are typically counted in chapter counts (announced chapter counts at the beginning of some audiobooks come to mind).

I assumed it doesn't include the prologue and epilogue, as the POV count didn't...

The POV count _explicitly_ did not, whereas GRRM didn't say anything like that about the chapter count. And whatever the practice in audiobooks, I'm not sure why GRRM would consider a prologue to be anything other than a chapter.

Okay, after I posted this I looked up the announcement for the release of A Storm of Swords, and discovered that he did make a distinction between "chapters" and the prologue and epilogue. So my assumption was incorrect.

So does this mean Davos is the missing POV, or is there still one unverified POV?

See the other thread below this post - there is still one mystery PoV, of which we only know that he or she hasn't been a PoV before - and it's likely we haven't even met him or her in the books, given the way GRRM formulated it on his Not-a-blog: there's 4 new point of views in total - SOME of those will be new viewpoints, characters we've met before but never gotten inside their head, and SOME of those will be entirely new characters we've never met before.

This suggests the mystery PoV has to be an entirely new character, seeing as we've already met Barristan and Mel, and in both cases he talks about characterS.

Anyway, more speculation about who it could be in the thread right next to this one about the not-a-blog post.-

I think it could be a character we've heard of, just not seen "on-screen". Like Quentyn.

How about one of Dany's rivals? Everyone heading East now looks likely to side with her in the upcoming war. How about that Cleetus the Barber (or whatever) chap? Or an enemy amongst the nobility within Meereen?

It'd also be interesting getting a POV from someone who is not from, or in, Westeros.

See the other thread below this post - there is still one mystery PoV, of which we only know that he or she hasn't been a PoV before - and it's likely we haven't even met him or her in the books, given the way GRRM formulated it on his Not-a-blog: there's 4 new point of views in total - SOME of those will be new viewpoints, characters we've met before but never gotten inside their head, and SOME of those will be entirely new characters we've never met before.

This suggests the mystery PoV has to be an entirely new character, seeing as we've already met Barristan and Mel, and in both cases he talks about characterS.

Anyway, more speculation about who it could be in the thread right next to this one about the not-a-blog post.-

I think GRRM's clue about POVs - some of those will be entirely new characters we've never met before is a bit misleading. I think he counts those in prologue and epilogue (plus Quentyn Martell) as the new characters we've never met before.

Has Melisandre been confirmed as a POV?

Anyway, the 16 POV's that make sense for me:

1 Jon - named

2 Arya - named

3 Bran - named

4 Tyrion - named

5 Daenerys - named

6 Jaime - named

7 Cersei - named

8 Asha - 1st Iron Islander

9 Theon - 2nd Iron Islander

10 Victarion - 3rd Iron Islander

11 Barristan - confirmed new POV

12 Quentyn - confirmed new POV, the new Dornishman.

13 Davos - my best guess for "old POV character who has been missing for a couple of books, but now returns to us... rather the worse for wear.", though maybe it's Theon, but I assumed Martin won't mention the same character twice as Theon has to be one of the 3 Irons Islanders.

14 Areo Hotah - the only logical choice for an old Dornish POV as Arianne isn't in and Arys is dead.

15 new POV - Melisandre I assume.

16 new POV - new character, no point even to start guessing.

13 Davos - my best guess for "old POV character who has been missing for a couple of books, but now returns to us... rather the worse for wear.",

Nah, that is a reference to Theon and not Davos. Davos will be in, but Theon's stay with the Boltons is then the POV that gets the most attention after the big 3.

Otherwise, your list seems good to me.

Archived