aDwD Inconsistency ( Spoilers Within)

TheBerk

i was thinking Benjen Stark for the person that comes back worse for wear , but he could also be one of the new pov characters.

Benjen Stark can't be the POV character who comes back worse for wear, because he never had a POV to begin with (and also because GRRM is talking about Theon). He could potentially be the mystery POV, but I'm not sure why it would be him rather than a bunch of other people.

I have a feeling that the new POV character is going to be Osha.

Why?

Because ADWD is supposed to cover the North, the Wall and Essos...

-The North: Asha, Theon, Davos (who might or might not meet his end at White Harbor).

-The Wall (and beyond): Jon, Melissandre, Bran.

-Essos: Tyrion, Daenerys,Quentyn, Barristan, Victarion, Arya.

-The South: Jaime, Cersei, Aero (These three POV chronologically taking place after AFFC).

It seems to me that we don't have enough characters to cover the North section of the book. I have a feeling that we will see Howland Reed in this book but GRRM already said that he won't be a POV character. I don't think that neither Davos, Theon nor Asha are going to visit Greywater Watch anytime soon...but how about Osha+Rickon+Shaggydog? We haven't seen them for a while and it makes sense for them to seek out Howland's protection.

Osha would prove to be an interesting POV since she could also reveal some insight into the wildings' way of thinking and some interesting perspective regarding Howland Reed's "abilities"

Has Melisandre been confirmed as a POV?

Anyway, the 16 POV's that make sense for me:

1 Jon - named

2 Arya - named

3 Bran - named

4 Tyrion - named

5 Daenerys - named

6 Jaime - named

7 Cersei - named

8 Asha - 1st Iron Islander

9 Theon - 2nd Iron Islander

10 Victarion - 3rd Iron Islander

11 Barristan - confirmed new POV

12 Quentyn - confirmed new POV, the new Dornishman.

13 Davos - my best guess for "old POV character who has been missing for a couple of books, but now returns to us... rather the worse for wear.", though maybe it's Theon, but I assumed Martin won't mention the same character twice as Theon has to be one of the 3 Irons Islanders.

14 Areo Hotah - the only logical choice for an old Dornish POV as Arianne isn't in and Arys is dead.

15 new POV - Melisandre I assume.

16 new POV - new character, no point even to start guessing.

According to an interview GRRM gave 2008:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Month/2008/04/

[GRRM has previously announced that there is a new POV for A Dance with Dragons, and hinted that it was one of three character: Sandor Clegane, Loras Tyrell, and Melisandre. Which of them is it?]

Not Sandor.

Since Melisandre is already listed, then maybe No 16 is not new character (it's possible people assumed incorrectly that it's 2 new and 2 old characters, but it is 1 new and 3 old). Then No 16 in the list is Loras Tyrell.

[GRRM has previously announced that there is a new POV for A Dance with Dragons, and hinted that it was one of three character: Sandor Clegane, Loras Tyrell, and Melisandre. Which of them is it?]

Not Sandor.

Since Melisandre is already listed, then maybe No 16 is not new character (it's possible people assumed incorrectly that it's 2 new and 2 old characters, but it is 1 new and 3 old). Then No 16 in the list is Loras Tyrell.

The POV that GRRM is talking about is Melisandre. When GRRM gave that interview, he hadn't yet said that Melisandre would be a POV character, hence why he didn't come right out and say it.

Why would he ? He is unlike to remember interview a couple of years ago.

I read somewhere that we are going to see Loras in The Dance. And since we don't have POV around him it's possible that he will have one. Maybe GRRM was wondering who of the three to put in the book. That was 3 years ago and now has decided to include 2 of them. I don't really know though. It's a possibility only. I was suggesting a new option, Loras.

I read somewhere that we are going to see Loras in The Dance. And since we don't have POV around him it's possible that he will have one. Maybe GRRM was wondering who of the three to put in the book. That was 3 years ago and now has decided to include 2 of them. I don't really know though. It's a possibility only. I was suggesting a new option, Loras.

Your quote comes from April, 2008. In July of 2008, GRRM said that there were no Tyrell POVs in ADWD. Since he also ruled out Sandor in the quote you mentioned, a lot of fans deduced that Melisandre was the new POV. In October, 2009, GRRM said that explicitly. So your quote doesn't mean what you think it does.

It's possible that Ser Loras will be the mystery POV. I suspect otherwise, but there's nothing to rule it out. But the evidence you have doesn't support that theory.

I just meant that if at some point he had considered Loras as possible POV, it's possible that he is the one that we don't know. Though I agree with you that it is not as likely as I thought. Does anyone else have some other guesses ?

Archived