Season 2 Casting News Soon

Westeros

Looks like Froggy the Gremlin is back to his old tricks at George R.R. Martin’s “Not a Blog”. For those who are newer fans of the show, Froggy was a character on a children’s variety program from GRRM’s day, a mischevious gremlin who has now become GRRM’s persona when he’s preparing to start hinting at casting through dastardly riddles and hints.

In the comments to the post, he’s asked about Stannis, and reveals he hasn’t seen any of those yet… but he has seen auditions for “Melisandre . . . Ygritte, Asha, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Davos, Dolorous Edd, Margaery Tyrell, Brienne, and many more.”

Visit the Site!

The most pertinent bit of info in that, to me, is that Asha Greyjoy is being cast in season 2. Which means we will get to see Theon's trip to the Iron Islands. :cheers: I did suspect it might happen "off-screen" due to expense, and because Asha and the Damphair probably won't turn up again until at least season 4.

This means we get to see Balon. :devil: I wonder if he'll play a bigger role in the TV show?

I did suspect it might happen "off-screen" due to expense, and because Asha and the Damphair probably won't turn up again until at least season 4.

Given their focus on Theon in S1, I think it was very likely that Asha and Balon would appear. Not sure about Damphair though. There is a lot of Iron born around.

In my opinion they already have the perfect Asha....but they cast her as Osha- horrible choice.

Since you haven't seen the audition that gave her the role, nor the episodes where Tena appears, and you don't know the take on Osha the showrunners were after, nor what kind of qualities they're looking for in the actress playing Asha, your opinion can be dismissed completely.

Asha goes to Winterfell at one point to persuade Theon to abandon Winterfell, so this doesn't guarantee the Iron Islands will be appearing.

I'd be surprised if they don't show it. Otherwise, it will make Theon's reappearance a bit strange.

I wonder how they will portray Roose Bolton because in the books he talks in a soft manner, but that wouldn't work for the show would it?

It could work - sound mixing can do wonders if properly utilized.

More than anything, Roose needs to be quietly menacing. That's not too hard to pull off for the right actor.

I wonder how they will portray Roose Bolton because in the books he talks in a soft manner, but that wouldn't work for the show would it?

In my head Bolton has always sounded and acted like the six-fingered man, Count Rugen (Christopher Guest) from the Princess Bride movie, with that soft, almost pleasant, menacing tone.

Roose Bolton should clearly be Christopher Walken.*

Nicole Bass for Brienne!** Felicia Day for Lollys Stokeworth!

Let's make some magic, people!

*I'm almost serious here. Walken could definitely do quietly menacing. And he could translate that softly spoken nature to the TV with his odd speech patterns.

**This actually wouldn't work, which is too bad. Nicole Bass is nearly 50. She's got the look, though.

I nominate Sean Bean's old Sharpe co-star Daragh O'Malley as Davos, no reason except he fits.

Yes! Now, as a huge Sharpe fan, this gets me thinking...

John Tams as Tom O' Sevens?

And there must be some role in there for Hugh Fraser.

EDIT: Now I think about it, just cast the whole lot of the Chosen Men as the BWB! :bowdown:

I'm more than a bit concerned now that they are rushing the story along. After 7 episodes were only a little more than halfway through the 1st book. There is so much that goes on after Ned's story ends with the Starks and Lannisters, things get hopping on the Wall and there's some major plot developments with Daenrys. They really going to gloss this over in 3 episodes?? Season2 should really be about the rest of the 1st book and introduce us to Stannis and Dragonstone towards the end of the season.

Any word on Mance? Or is he being put off till 3rd season?

Mance doesn't appear until Book 3 anyway.

I'm more than a bit concerned now that they are rushing the story along. After 7 episodes were only a little more than halfway through the 1st book. There is so much that goes on after Ned's story ends with the Starks and Lannisters, things get hopping on the Wall and there's some major plot developments with Daenrys. They really going to gloss this over in 3 episodes?? Season2 should really be about the rest of the 1st book and introduce us to Stannis and Dragonstone towards the end of the season.

Ned is arrested on page 530 out of 800 pages (in the mass-market paperback edition), so we're more like two-thirds of the way through. Which tracks roughly with the end of 7 out of 10 episodes. So we're pretty much on schedule, maybe even a bit ahead of schedule if the series really is putting off Riverrun until Season 2.

Mance doesn't appear until Book 3 anyway.

Ned is arrested on page 530 out of 800 pages (in the mass-market paperback edition), so we're more like two-thirds of the way through. Which tracks roughly with the end of 7 out of 10 episodes. So we're pretty much on schedule, maybe even a bit ahead of schedule if the series really is putting off Riverrun until Season 2.

Well if they push off the Stark/Lannister war till next season then it should be ok. THeres so much good stuff after Neds arrest that it would be a shame to jam it all in 3 episodes

Well if they push off the Stark/Lannister war till next season then it should be ok. THeres so much good stuff after Neds arrest that it would be a shame to jam it all in 3 episodes

I think they will put most of that material into the last 3 episodes. While it is a lot of material, given they have covered around 66% of the book in 70% of the screentime, they have shown they can remain on that track quite well

Archived