Season 2 Casting News Soon

Westeros

The issue with giving the role of Stannis to a big name draw is that if the series continues, he will need to be continually paid

Stannis is a re-occuring character throughout the series and will be in Dance with Dragons

So HBO would need to be comfortable doing that. Would they have signed Sean Bean if they imagined they would have to pay him for multiple seasons? Visually, Stannis will need to be tall and gaunt with dark hair and a short cropped beard. I hope they take that in consideration when they find the actor for him. They did a wonderful job with Tywin's match, so there's a lot of encouragement there.

On a similar note, I have a question. With Sean Bean out of the picture, I'm sure that frees up a lot of space in the budget. Do you think HBO will opt to put most of that extra money into special effects, or to acquire a new "name" actor? Is a high-profile name that important at this point?

On a similar note, I have a question. With Sean Bean out of the picture, I'm sure that frees up a lot of space in the budget. Do you think HBO will opt to put most of that extra money into special effects, or to acquire a new "name" actor? Is a high-profile name that important at this point?

Good points but I think we need to remember that this is television and it depends on ratings. Much as staying true to the book is important, I don't believe Tyrion would have been as popular if Dinklange had been as truly ugly as book Tyrion. Dinklage is handsome. Stannis carries a lot of the story and I have a gut feeling they will cast someone more charismatic than true to the book as a draw.

Of course they will HBO wouldn't sign them without contracting them to every season needed for their characters.

Incorrect.

The major castmembers - and I take that to mean every character in the opening credits and perhaps Conleth Hill and maybe a few others - are on such a contract and retainer.

The rest won't be, as it would cost a fortune to do that for everyone. HBO would be effectively be paying for a series with 40-odd regular characters, which is insanely expensive. With the rest it will be a case of if they are free when needed (and I have no doubt HBO will give them as much warning as humanly possible), and if they're not, tough luck.

I don't remember many scenes with Stannis, doubt it will be any famous and expensive actor.

I'm sure Stannis's role will be expanded a la Jaime's role in Season One. Stannis's "face time" in the novel may be minimal, but he's a hugely important character that drives the plot. I'm sure there will be scenes added for him, or scenes that were only talked about in the novel actually being shown.

I doubt whoever they get will be on the level of Sean Bean, name recognition-wise or expense-wise, but he'll likely be a well-known and respected actor.

Natalie Dormer has been cast as Margaery Tyrell!

This excites me greatly not because Natalie looks like Margaery but because her acting on The Tudors was fantastic. Can't wait to see her in GoT.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/23/game-of-thrones-casting/

and..wow that is a good catch for GoT indeed. She was great in The Tudors, though seeing her in blonde was a bit startling lol

At last some actual casting NEWS. Never seen the actress before but she SCREAMS Margaery to me and by all accounts she definitely has the acting chops.

Maybe a hint that we will see a bit more of Renly next year than we did on-page in the book, which would not be surprising.

WONDERFUL news!! She was smoking hot in the Tudors, crafty, observant, eyes and ears always taking in every nuance of everything and everybody around her, and always plotting and planning every move for her own betterment, her own ambition, her own protection. SO happy with this one!! :thumbsup:

WONDERFUL news!! She was smoking hot in the Tudors, crafty, observant, eyes and ears always taking in every nuance of everything and everybody around her, and always plotting and planning every move for her own betterment, her own ambition, her own protection. SO happy with this one!! :thumbsup:

Dormer is a fine actress, but much too old to play Margaery. Margaery is supposed to be 15 or 16; you could get away with a young-looking 18-25 year-old playing the character, I think, but not a 29-year-old. Jack Gleeson is, and would look, ridiculously young next to her. And, if the series lasts long enough, there is no way that Cersei would allow a woman in her late 20's (which would be already stretching things by then) to be wed to her 10-year-old, out of fear that by the woman would not be able to have children by the time Tommen is old enough to sire them.

Why couldn't they have cast Dormer as Melissandre? Now that would be believable!

Dormer is a fine actress, but much too old to play Margaery. Margaery is supposed to be 15 or 16; you could get away with a young-looking 18-25 year-old playing the character, I think, but not a 29-year-old. Jack Gleeson is, and would look, ridiculously young next to her. And, if the series lasts long enough, there is no way that Cersei would allow a woman in her late 20's (which would be already stretching things by then) to be wed to her 10-year-old, out of fear that by the woman would not be able to have children by the time Tommen is old enough to sire them.

Dawson's casting...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DawsonCasting

TV often casts actors a little younger than their age. A 30 year old can play a 25 year old no problem. Often on TV they are 30 playing 18!

Dormer is a fine actress, but much too old to play Margaery. Margaery is supposed to be 15 or 16; you could get away with a young-looking 18-25 year-old playing the character, I think, but not a 29-year-old.

Margaery is 16 in the books. Sansa is around 15 in TV so Margaery should be 18-19. Make-up should do the trick but I agree she is a little old anyway. Damn good actress though and hot!

Am I the only one who thinks Dormer looks a good ten years younger than she actually is? When I first saw her picture from the Tudors I thought "Man, she's too young to play Anne". Of course, once I started watching, I thought "She has a rather grown-up voice for an 18-year-old".

Yeah, she does look young, she'll have no problem playing early twenties, which is probably shat they're aiming for.

Archived