Football 19: A Clash of Kicks

Zoë Sumra

Because the old one's about to be frozen.

Chelsea sack Ancelotti. Both predictable and disheartening.

would you be happy to swap your current manager for mourinho?

(i wouldn't)

If he could win us more silverware than our nearest and least dear neighbours, the schadenfreude would be epic.

I agree that I prefer to watch positive football, but the thing is, Guardiola and Mourinho don't always produce negative games, particularly the former. The Arsenal-Barca match at the Emirates was epic and mostly attacking; that 5-0 clasico early this season was sublime. Blood and thunder plus talent... that's the holy grail, IMO.

I just said on another board, I don't understand why people hate on Wigan for fans they don't have. It's not their fault that people don't go and watch them. I like them, good likeable squad, though they really should be scoring more goals with the players they have.

Guardiola and Mourinho don't always produce negative games, particularly the former.

I must say, I found jandancer's suggestion that passing the ball around equates to playing cautiously very funny. :) Nothing like hoofing the ball up the pitch!

The internet ate my prediction post yesterday. I was hoping that Wigan and Blackpool would stay up at the expense of Blackburn and Birmingham to improve the entertainment level of the PL, but Blackpool always had an improbable task to spoil United's celebratory sign-off.

I didn't get to watch the games today because my own match conflicted. Pity, the tension makes for great live viewing.

The Ancelotti sacking was widely foretold, but I wonder where Chelsea go from here. Their stars are still aging, most of their recent signings have under-performed (Zhirkov, Torres, Ramirez, Bosingwa, and yet they are still potentially a very strong side who could challenge for the title if they keep Lampard, Essien and Drogba healthy. I'm not sure they'll get someone better than Ancelotti, unless Hiddink suddenly changes his mind on taking a full-time role in club management.

Liverpool end their season with a disappointing whimper. Our make-shift team of kids and stand-ins had been out-performing but could not sustain it. We still need substantial team-building, but now with less financial resources and no European football to attract top players. Even so, I think we're better off not having to start competitive games in early July and fly all over eastern Europe for Thursday night games.

Just in response to the end of the previous thread,

a- I think Barca will run United off the pitch (though clearly, the proof of the pudding is in the eating), and I'd generally prefer to watch Barca than MU

b- I would love to have Mourinho back at the Bridge. You make a rather conflicting point in your post, as I always considered Mourinho's Chelsea teams to be some of the grittiest and most strong-willed teams I've seen, and I think a lack of that fighting spirit has cost them since Jose left.

Wow, 14th is a bit of a slide. Guess that's what losing eleventy hundred games on the trot does for you. Coyle's got some heavy rebuilding to do, right now we look like Burnley Mk II.

I know we're all supposed to moan about Blackpool going down, but defending is part of the game. Conceding 78 goals is pretty ridiculous. West Brom were conceding goals like that, until Hodgson got there and sorted them out for the latter part of the season, and they ended strongly.

Both Blackpool and Birmingham aren't really going to play in the Europa League, are they? I know they are both earned the right. But, still, are they going to have the players and the funds to be able to compete?

Birmingham won the league cup, they get the slot regardless of relegation. But I think the Fair Play entry went out of the window for Blackpool when they got relegated. Normally that place goes to the highest-ranked team (for fair play) in the top league in the qualifying country, and Blackpool are no longer in that league.

Like the thread title, by the way. :)

Well poop! :thumbsdown:

i feel for you and your fellow supporters.

blackpool brought great entertainment to premier league and will be missed by all of us every time we get to watch wolves next season.

but in the end it's about points on the table not fans having fun watching the team play.

Both Blackpool and Birmingham aren't really going to play in the Europa League, are they? I know they are both earned the right. But, still, are they going to have the players and the funds to be able to compete?

i heard somewhere (probably on tv) that fulham will get the fair play spot.

i feel for you and your fellow supporters.

blackpool brought great entertainment to premier league and will be missed by all of us every time we get to watch wolves next season.

but in the end it's about points on the table not fans having fun watching the team play.

Agreed. :(

i heard somewhere (probably on tv) that fulham will get the fair play spot.

We were definitely in line for it till that red card the other day. We'll find out later this week.

Normally that place goes to the highest-ranked team (for fair play) in the top league in the qualifying country, and Blackpool are no longer in that league.

Why would where they play in the 2011/12 season matter when it's the 2010/11 (or 2010) season that determines qualification for the 2011/12 season in Europe. They earned their fair play points in the PL.

Why would where they play in the 2011/12 season matter when it's the 2010/11 (or 2010) season that determines qualification for the 2011/12 season in Europe. They earned their fair play points in the PL.

As far as the rules go, it's down to your interpretation, I think. But if a team had qualified through their league placing, for example, but were subsequently relegated (for example, as a penalty for match-fixing) my understanding is that they would lose their place despite having earned it during the previous season. If you are no longer qualified to take up a place, you don't get it, or at least that's how I would read the rules.

Mind you, I might be wrong. And it might be redundant anyway. We won't know until later in the week if Blackpool even 'earned' the slot in the first place. If they have, then it has to be the first time that two relegated teams got into Europe.

I knew there was a reason the Sunday Herald website kept crashing every time I tried to log onto it yesterday. (I knew there was a reason I tried to get onto the Sunday Herald website yesterday.)

would he not have been better off just concentrating on the champions league final rather than dragging it through the news for the last week? everyone knew anyway, i'm sure mrs giggs did. so what was the point. he should defo sack his legal team, bad advice.

Archived