[Book Spoilers] EP106 Discussion

Ran

You'll be sad to know that GRRM likes her a ton (the actress) and wants her in more, and is going to try and write her into the books at some point.

:thumbsup:

Problem is that Tyrion couldn't outbid Cersei. He offered just empty promises, and nothing more.

Bronn laid out plan how to beat Gregor, quite the same one as one Oberyn used, and seemed to liked his chances against Mountain.

If Bronn won, he would probably get stripped of everything Cersei ensured him, and would have to "flee" with Tyrion.

These are book spoiler threads. You don't need to spoiler your comments if they are from the four published novels.

Tyrion could not outbid Cersei in the short-term but his gratitude is worth more in the long term. Tyrion was way more motivated. Cersei isn't going to spend every cent she has. Tyrion would. She has more but he cares more. Bronn doesn't decide just on the basis of who can pay the most. He decides the risks of fighting Ser Gregor are too high compared and the reward for NOT doing so sufficient to placate him. Even though he knows full well that Cersei's offer is a one-timer whereas Tyrion could be a patron for life.

“Does he frighten you so much? “ asked Tyrion, hoping to provoke him.

“if he didn’t frighten me, I’d be a bloody fool.” Bronn gave a shrug. “Might be I could take him. Dance around him until he was so tired of hacking at me that he couldn’t lift his sword. Get him off his feet somehow. When they’re flat on their backs it don’t matter how tall they are. Even so, it’s chancy. One misstep and I’m dead. Why should I risk it? I like you well enough, ugly little whoreson that you are… but if I fight your battle, I lose either way. Either the Mountain spills my guts, or I kill him and lose Stokeworth. I sell my sword, I

don’t give it away. I’m not your bloody brother.”

He thought he had a chance. This is a LONG way from MLW's earlier comment that Bronn could beat anyone one-on-one. Even here, the normally boastful Bronn is damned serious. He sounds FAR from convinced his little plan will work and while he isn't thrilled by Lollys, she's a lot more tempting than rolling the dice with Ser Gregor. The plan gives him a shot but far from a certain one.

So I FINALLY got to watch episode 6...and wow, wow, wow, WOW!!!! Best by farrrrr. So many "omg awesome!" moments! In no order...

-Bronn vs. Vardis was executed to perfection, even better than how I pictured the book version's fight.

-Nice Joffrey was a really good scene, especially knowing what we know as book readers.

-Best performance yet from Dinklage, he showed off a lot more of his acting ability and the phony accent has finally been toned down a bit. I was chuckling with the rest of the Eyrie's court at his confessions.

-Didn't even notice the absence of the wolves in the forest scene. Osha was well-cast.

-I like that they're making Ros a more important character than we thought she'd be, it gives those of us familiar with the story already a chance to follow a new character.

-Sean Bean dispensing justice was very well done. Good casting with Beric, also.

-Horse heart came outta nowhere, I got a bit queasy at the suddenness of it - which is entirely appropriate and a job well done on the part of the editors!

-More awesome Sansa/Arya dynamic, they're good at playing sisters.

-Ned's revelation was perfect. Sean Bean is an amazing actor.

-And finally...the scene I have been waiting to see since the pilot...could not have been any better. I got intense chills at the closing line "Fire cannot kill a dragon" even more than when I read that chapter. I also like that they managed to make it almost a sad scene with the buildup from earlier in the episode, like when Viserys first realizes that the Dothraki really love his sister. Gonna miss Harry Lloyd, dude nailed his character.

Ahhh wow! Still can't get over how good this episode was. I already gave the last episode a 10/10 in my head so I gotta break the scale with a 12/10 for this one. Almost kinda glad I don't have access to HBO GO so I don't have to wait a full two weeks after episode 7! :smoking:

Archived