Barristan Selmy

Hi all this is my first thread, i think it needs to be moved but i dont know how to do it.

Ive been reading these boards for a couple of months now and i havent seen anything on the old man.

I would be really interseted in what people think of the old war horse, and what juciy bits of insight we may get about the targs.

I personally hope we get to find about the battle of the ninepenny kings and what the hell happened at the tridant..... its really to fague.........

Oh and by the the way did any one notice on the tv show, that Barristan Selmy claimed to have killed simon toyne of the brotherhood i thought it was arthur dayne? :fencing:

Hi all this is my first thread, i think it needs to be moved but i dont know how to do it.

Ive been reading these boards for a couple of months now and i havent seen anything on the old man.

I would be really interseted in what people think of the old war horse, and what juciy bits of insight we may get about the targs.

I personally hope we get to find about the battle of the ninepenny kings and what the hell happened at the tridant..... its really to fague.........

Oh and by the the way did any one notice on the tv show, that Barristan Selmy claimed to have killed simon toyne of the brotherhood i thought it was arthur dayne? :fencing:

I think it's fine to have it here, but there are some topics in the ADWD section. Barristan did kill Simon Toyne. Arthur Dayne killed the Smiling Knight.

And to answer your question, Barristan will probably die. Sad, but why introduce him as a POV now?

I also expect Selmy to die during 'Dance'.

Selmy should give us some fascinating insights to Aerys' rule, and he may have more clues about Rhaegar. We should also get a flashback to the battle on the trident or the immediate aftermath.

As for his story in ADWD, I suspect it will have something to do with the military aspect of the storyline, maybe something involving the Wise Masters. I suspect he will be assassinated by one of the sons of the harpy.

One also wonders if we'll get his account of Targaryen events from his own POV or Dany's. Or if it will be in Dany's inner thoughts after the fact.

She still doesn't have the proper hindsight from which to view Robert's Rebellion. She'll need that to be "great" as opposed to "mad".

Selmy slew Maelys the Monstrous... Think there's a chance that his POV will involve a confrontation with the Golden Company?

That's a good call. Dany just knows them as a sellsword company that wouldn't support Viserys; and Tyrion just knows of the Blackfyres as historical figures from the distant past. The Meereenese presumably don't give a shit about the wars of the Sunset kingdoms. Ser Barristan's the only person in Dany's court who would remember the Blackfyre rebellion, and he's often described as being rigid in his honor. I could see him being the most suspicious of the GC, and the most obvious obstacle to whatever it is that the Golden Company wants to do.

I see Barristan getting killed by Mormont. Something is going to have to happen with his character with the way he was exiled and Selmy said that he'd be a problem.

Maybe Jorah has gone and joined the Golden Company, so the trouble will be twice as bad. Selmy vs Maelys old battle buddies and Selmy vs Jorah. Making a Dany/Golden Company alliance even less likely...

I don't think a simple assassin could kill Selmy. He's the type you'd have to poison or take out with an arrow from far away. I think he'll die by facing down like 12 assassins out to kill Dany. He's death should be epic. But I'm also under the belief he'll survive to land on Westeros, maybe.

I don't think a simple assassin could kill Selmy. He's the type you'd have to poison or take out with an arrow from far away. I think he'll die by facing down like 12 assassins out to kill Dany. He's death should be epic. But I'm also under the belief he'll survive to land on Westeros, maybe.

Selmy is a survivor. Don't think he dies.

Deaths this book I'm thinking are

Stannis

Some Krakens

I'm also among the "Selmy will die" camp. I expect his death to either be in direct defense of Dany during an attempt on her life, or that he'll be stealthily assassinated... but his murder will show to Dany and her truly loyal supporters that someone among her allies is in fact a deadly foe, and motivate them to investigate.

Iam looking to the golden company meeting.

Danny is gonna get sum shiny new steel in blackfyre.

Personally i dont there is no targ in the golden company, i think

they want to join targ because the old warhorse killed the last should be a good meeting.

As for the Ameon crap aka Young Griff i think people are seeing moon beams.

I dont jorarh is gonna kill the old boy, dany had that vision of him walking through bear island....

i think mormont will end up fighting with the karstarks and ramsey

..... crispy fried northman coming up

I expect Selmy to die just because of Martin's storytelling style.

But I hope he lives, and I hope he is the one who will kill Roose Bolton. That would be poetic justice. Why? Well because at the Trident, when Selmy was injured and captured, Bolton urged Robert and Ned to execute Selmy, but obviously Robert disagreed. Life is full of irony, I hope this will be one such case.

I dunno. Advising the execution of Ser Barristan is far from the worst thing that Roose Bolton has ever done, and isn't even really that unreasonable. It would be like if Theon was killed by Stiv's widow.

I know, I'm just pointing out the irony. Bolton deserves to be killed by a Stark, just like Joffrey should have been killed by Robb, Gregor by his brother etc. but none of that happened.

Plague is coming to Mereen, and Martin did say that disease is a theme of ADWD. As Danny is forced to leave Mereen, Barristan will be the one to make sure her feet are pointed in the right direction, and give her the proper background so she doesnt act a fool in Westeros. IDK if I think he will survive or not, I'll just wait and see.

If Ser Barristan has to die, please let it be after Dany has linked up with the Golden Company.

There should/could be some interesting interaction between Griff and Barristan, and also between Barristan and Tyrion.

Archived