Barristan Selmy

My vote is on Ser Barry being in Mereen. I want him to be part of the solution to the Mereenese knot. He might replace Mormont as Dany's military man and then die. And yes, I want Selmy to meet with Tyrion, too. They could exchange notes, conspire, or something.

I think it's fine to have it here, but there are some topics in the ADWD section. Barristan did kill Simon Toyne. Arthur Dayne killed the Smiling Knight.

And to answer your question, Barristan will probably die. Sad, but why introduce him as a POV now?

To help solve the problem or the Meeranese Knot.

To help solve the problem or the Meeranese Knot.

Yes, I am almost certain this is it. Way back, GRRM's blog postings about the Meereenese knot indicated that one way he had attacked the problem was to write about it from a different/new PoV. Barristan would almost certainly be the PoV in question.

If Ser Barristan has to die, please let it be after Dany has linked up with the Golden Company.

There should/could be some interesting interaction between Griff and Barristan, and also between Barristan and Tyrion.

Oh yes, that could be very interesting. We have been starving for interactions between Dany and Westerosi (other then Mormont and Barristan), but those 2 meetings (if they, indeed, meet) would also be particularly juicy.

I don't really see Barristan dying. He came all the way over from Westeros to just...have an info dump for Dany? I don't think so. Plus GRRM exchanged Jorah for Selmy so, I think Selmy will make it out, he has a PURPOSE. He needs to guard Dany, help her train Knights, and lead her army.

I don't really see Barristan dying. He came all the way over from Westeros to just...have an info dump for Dany? I don't think so. Plus GRRM exchanged Jorah for Selmy so, I think Selmy will make it out, he has a PURPOSE. He needs to guard Dany, help her train Knights, and lead her army.

His death could _be_ the reason why he survived so long. After all, in story terms Ned Stark effectively came down to King's Landing in order to be murdered by Joffrey.

I'm convinced that Arya will end up in Dany's camp, and that Selmy will get her there. He was present when Ned refused to endorse Robert's plan to kill Dany, and the two would definitely have respect for one another. I see him vouching for the Starks.

Incidentally, I also think that Arya and Tyrion will meet and befriend each other (I also suspect that she will eventually marry him, but that's another story) in any event, Selmy vouching for Ned & Arya and Arya vouching for Tyrion would get the little bugger safely into Dany's graces.

Then Selmy dies heriocally and Tyrion takes his place.

Incidentally, I also think that Arya and Tyrion will meet and befriend each other (I also suspect that she will eventually marry him, but that's another story) in any event, Selmy vouching for Ned & Arya and Arya vouching for Tyrion would get the little bugger safely into Dany's graces.

Why is Arya vouching for Tyrion in this scenario? And why does the opinion of a ten-year-old stranger carry so much weight with Dany?

One of George Martin's themes is that being truely honourable only brings you death and destruction. But however, I also believe in him throwing some curves, and that Selmy could be that curve. Him standing as L-C of the knight's guard next to either Dany or Jon on the Iron throne would be a cathartic moment.... the ultimate survivor.

Why does everyone assume Selmy is honourable? The bloke has changed sides, what, three times?

I'm going to be different and say he'll betray Dany to save his wrinkled old arse.

Hmm, I'm thinking whether I should start the raging against what you just said, or let someone else.

Did he change sides, or did the sides change for him?

My vote is on Ser Barry being in Mereen. I want him to be part of the solution to the Mereenese knot. He might replace Mormont as Dany's military man and then die. And yes, I want Selmy to meet with Tyrion, too. They could exchange notes, conspire, or something.

I definitely hope you're wrong. I'd like Selmy to survive long enough to meet Cersei again.

Why does everyone assume Selmy is honourable? The bloke has changed sides, what, three times?

I'm going to be different and say he'll betray Dany to save his wrinkled old arse.

He served the Targs until they were utterly defeated; Willem Darry fled with Viserys and Dany, presumably never to be heard from again. So he served the new dynasty until they sacked him. By then there was gossip about Targs in the East and with nowhere else to go he sought them out. Barristan served Dany well until she found out who he really was.

I think he's made the best of some bad situations. You could call him a traitor but he's never engaged in treachery.

Selmy swore an oath to protect the King, and I guess he feels that it is not his decision who that King is... he just serves. However he clearly has disdain for the Lannisters and their lack of honour. He seeks out Dany to serve and protect above all else, his fealty without ulterior motives kind of shows Dany what she was lacking in Mormont. Even if Mormont intentions of helping his people on Bear Island were admirable, he places them first above serving Dany.

Am I along in thinking that Barristan Selmy will not die in Meereen, if only because his return to Westeros at the head of Daenerys Targaryen's army and Cersei's reaction seems somewhat preordained? That said, I don't think he will be a continuing POV.

Then again, the writer has denied us payoffs before.

Am I along in thinking that Barristan Selmy will not die in Meereen, if only because his return to Westeros at the head of Daenerys Targaryen's army and Cersei's reaction seems somewhat preordained? That said, I don't think he will be a continuing POV.

Nope, you aren't alone. I don't think Barristan will die in ADWD, but I do expect hi to die before the end of the series. I just don't think it'll happen until he's back in Westeros, not sure how he will go out, but killing multiple people before finally falling while protecting Dany at a critical point is my assumption.

Nope, you aren't alone. I don't think Barristan will die in ADWD, but I do expect him to die before the end of the series. I just don't think it'll happen until he's back in Westeros, not sure how he will go out, but killing multiple people before finally falling while protecting Dany at a critical point is my assumption.

Archived