Barristan Selmy

Selmy's death is not one I had contemplated. I would be miffed if GRRM kills him off in ADwD. Scratch that, I'd be miffed if he were killed off. at all.

As pointed out in the posts above, Selmy is there to educate Dany about her family. That is quite a bit of history. Just giving us Rhaegar's life would cover many pages, I would think. And Selmy only briefly touched on the insanity/intermarriage.

Further, as noted, he gives her status. The last of the truly illustrious Kingsguard returns triumphant with the last Targ, cannot beat that with a stick. Tyrion can't give her that, he's a bit of a persona non grata at the moment.

I am going to go out on a limb here -- Selmy lives and brings the KG back to glory.

edited for atrocious spelling

Why is Arya vouching for Tyrion in this scenario? And why does the opinion of a ten-year-old stranger carry so much weight with Dany?

a) she's nearly 12 at the end of AFFC, and will probably be 13 or 14 by t time she reaches Dany; B) she has a serious claim to the North and presumably some serious FM/warging skills to bring toto Dany's cause; c) she could potentially be a dragon rider or QG advisor/bodyguard; d) Selmy would have a high respect for her father, which may easily carry over to her.

At the very least, he wouldn't want to turn her away- gallant knight that he is- and FM Arya could easily play off that sympathy.

Basically, it's an association/sympathy type thing, plus Arya could refuse to bend the knee if Tyrion doesn't become Hand or something along those lines.

IMO- Semly still has a lot to answer for as far as Dany is concerned.

He basically knew who Jorah was the moment he saw him, and he knew, from his time on the council, that Jorah was giving information about Dany to Westeros that likely led to some of the assassination attempts on Dany.

I know he wanted to lay low to see if Dany was more like Rhaegar or Aerys, but in doing so, to the best of his knowledge, wasn't he keeping quiet about what was perhaps the biggest threat to his new charge?

Archived