A Dastardly Casting Clue

Westeros

Perhaps the most elaborate casting clue yet has cropped up on GRRM’s “Not a Blog”, involving a fake book cover, with a fake title, fake blurbs and quotes, a fake author…

What to make of it? We were left scratching our heads, but a clever fan got a cigar from GRRM by figuring out that the photo is of actor Morgan Deare, who plays a character named Horatio King in the film The Callback Queen. Can’t figure out anything about his role—is he the actor cast? It seems unlikely, because Deare is very much an American, and in fact does voiceover work in which he’s noted for his “authorative American” sound. Not to say he couldn’t do a British accent, but… If he were in it, who would he be? Salladhor Saan? Xaro Xhoan Daxos? Hrm.

However, while digging around, we came up with an interesting fact. Could his role in the film be someone who’s inspired by someone else? Such as the lead actress, Irish-born Amy Joyce Hastings, who was sporting some very red hair for that particular role? Her looks would not be bad for Melisandre…

ETA: We see that others have had the same idea. Lets see what GRRM says as more people bring the possibility up in comments.

Visit the Site!

Just in case anyone hasn't been to Not A Blog, George has said that this wasn't a casting clue. He really was the inspiration for Horatio King, one of the characters in The Callback Queen, and was just having a little fun with that.

On the up side, there are some great ideas there! :lol:

From Not A Blog (comments):

Hello,

George just sent me a message about the casting specualtion on WIC.net about this post. The reality is that while I would love to audition for Melisandre or Ygritte, I have not yet done so, nevermind being already cast!

'The Callback Queen' is a romantic comedy feature film the plot of which revolves around an actress auditioning for a movie adaptation of a series of fantasy novels (fictional) by the (again fictional) author Horatio King - George R R Martin was the inspiration for that character and the GOT series inspired the 'Prince of Chaos' book/film in the storyline. The image above is a graphic book jacket used as a prop in a scene in the film.

I'm very flattered people assumed I was cast in GOT but wanted to set the record straight! Thanks to George for creating a little buzz around the film too.

Best wishes,

Amy-Joyce Hastings

Great cover obviously intended to resemble one of Martin's and the titles of the books in the fictional "Prince of Chaos" series obliquely reference Prince of Nothing, Wheel of Time and probably a third book series I didn't recognize. Cute.

This is dastardly!!! I actually went looking for it and found there is a book called Prince of Chaos by another author, I believe part of a series called the Chronicles of Amber.

And the title for 3rd book in this fake series was inspired probably by The Pillars of the Earth

This is dastardly!!! I actually went looking for it and found there is a book called Prince of Chaos by another author, I believe part of a series called the Chronicles of Amber.

And the title for 3rd book in this fake series was inspired probably by The Pillars of the Earth

Really great. I wonder how involved George RR is when it comes to casting. I'm sure he has a voice but I wonder if he's going down the line vetoing several applicants that the directors were fond of or what?

I'm sure he has a voice but I wonder if he's going down the line vetoing several applicants that the directors were fond of or what?

Option 1. He has a voice but he isn't the show-runner. He doesn't veto.

Yeah, I think D&D "get" George and the series, so George likely wouldn't need veto power even if he had it.

From his posts, it sounds like he is pretty well in the loop with casting as it progresses, but like Padraig says, not with a huge amount of pull.

Archived