I must slow down...

montana

I find myself in the opposite predicament: I need to speed up! (Yesh, I'm a newb. I only started reading GoT at the beginning of May - but, as everyone else here, as soon as I picked it up, I was hooked!)

I want to finish all the books before Dragons comes out, but I still have about 1700 pages to go and *gasp* only 11 1/2 days to do it!

So my dilemma is how fast do I allow myself to read? Do I read as fervently and feverishly as I'd like, possibly missing some minor details, but catching major plot points and getting a handle on the major story arc, or do I try to read more carefully so I don't miss anything? *sigh* At the moment, I'm trying to follow the "middle path", so to speak, but as the 12th fast approaches, I may have to pull and all-nighter. :P

I find myself in the opposite predicament: I need to speed up! (Yesh, I'm a newb. I only started reading GoT at the beginning of May - but, as everyone else here, as soon as I picked it up, I was hooked!)

I want to finish all the books before Dragons comes out, but I still have about 1700 pages to go and *gasp* only 11 1/2 days to do it!

So my dilemma is how fast do I allow myself to read? Do I read as fervently and feverishly as I'd like, possibly missing some minor details, but catching major plot points and getting a handle on the major story arc, or do I try to read more carefully so I don't miss anything? *sigh* At the moment, I'm trying to follow the "middle path", so to speak, but as the 12th fast approaches, I may have to pull and all-nighter. :P

Just my two cents, of course, but whew, I would certainly slow down if I was in this situation--there's no need in the world for you to be ready for Dance on the 12th. People will just begin receiving their books on that date and the days afterward, then, they'll sit back and begin to read and absorb for many weeks afterward. If your sense of hurry is because you want to join in all the Dance discussion with everybody else, even that isn't subject to this sense of rush. Ran, our King of the Board (forum owner/administrator) has announced that he is going to sequester all Dance discussions in a special spoiler section for one full month following the release date. So, it won't be til mid-August that Dance discussions actually open up to all threads throughout the board.

I really think you'll regret a rush 'major plot points only' read for a long time to come. I certainly do--even these years later, I still see tidbits discussed where readers put together what 'X' was really up to while 'Z' was off involved in something else. Little tidbits that went right over my head because I rushed the initial readings of the books.

Again, just my two cents...:read:

Archived