A Song of Ice and Fire [Slipcase Editions]

Buster

Excited about this news, but much in need of more information. There is still limited information coming from Harper Collins. I would like to know if these are leather bound and if there will be editions made for each book in the series. If so, they would be the FIRST true matching deluxe editions available of this series. This is not a knock on the beautiful deluxe editions by Meisha Merlin and Subterranean Press; however, I have always wanted a nice matching deluxe set of Martin's opus.

Eh, what the heck? How is it kosher for Harper Collins to put out these editions? Doesn't Subterranean have the rights to do deluxe limiteds?

Or are these "deluxe" in that they are higher quality than regular hardcovers but not limited editions or some other loophole?

I just ordered mine, hopefully Harper Collins will make matching editions for all the books. Unfortunately the edition doesn't have a description so we have no way of knowing if the book is leatherbound, but it certainly looks that way. When it arrives (in July), I'll post some pics.

Could someone link me to the Meisha Merlin and Subterranean Press deluxe editions?

Or are these "deluxe" in that they are higher quality than regular hardcovers but not limited editions?

I think this is quite correct. They look very similar in design to their Tolkien special editions, which are non-signed (so not limited), higher quality slipcased editions.

It's strange that Harper Voyager doesn't provide any sort of information on the binding. It does look leatherbound. I've seen some editions of, for example, Tolkien which are bound in leather and slipcased but have cloth boards. Could be like that. I like the gilt stamping on the slipcase; it looks like the title and such is also gilt on the binding.

I ordered one 'cause I figure you can never have too many editions of A Game of Thrones. I believe this will be my fourth.

It looks like Amazon have realised that every other store is charging £40 for the book and raised the price £15. Luckily I've got a Pre-order Price Guarantee for £25! Thanks Amazon! :P

Edit: It's £30 now!

• 3 weeks later...

I really really like this edition.

BUT.

BUT! Is there any kind of promise, guarantee or even stated goal of the publisher to release the six other volumes as they are published, in *matching* hardcovers and slipcases? Obviously they could fancy them up with different sigils on each book, that would be fantastic, but having them match design-wise is crucial.

If it isn't limited, I'll just wait until GRRM is done with the series and buy the whole set. I'd rather not have mismatching expensive hardcover editions.

Harper Collins haven't given much information about the book, but they usually do a fantastic job with slipcase editions of fantasy books. I'm guessing that a full set of slipcase editions is planned and will be similar to The J.R.R Tolkien Collection. No promises have been made, but it's likely that Harper Collins will continue to make these.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't get too excited about these. For the last few years UK publishers have been releasing "special editions" and signed limited editions that are little better than their (very poor quality) standard hardcovers but at a significantly higher price.

I doubt that is leather on the spine (faux or otherwise). The covering is likely to be paper over board, perhaps using a better quality of paper than most UK hardbacks. They might push the boat out and use acid free paper for the pages or a sewn binding rather than perfect-bound, but I doubt it at the price level they have set.

Buy the standard US hardcover instead, it is likely to be better made, will last longer and will be cheaper even with shipping factored in.

Still, it's a very romantic idea. I wonder if they intend to have different sigils on each slipcase? The lion on Clash, trout on Storm, sun-and-spear on Feast, and ... I suppose dragons on Dance ... ?

I wouldn't get too excited about these. For the last few years UK publishers have been releasing "special editions" and signed limited editions that are little better than their (very poor quality) standard hardcovers but at a significantly higher price.

I doubt that is leather on the spine (faux or otherwise). The covering is likely to be paper over board, perhaps using a better quality of paper than most UK hardbacks. They might push the boat out and use acid free paper for the pages or a sewn binding rather than perfect-bound, but I doubt it at the price level they have set.

Buy the standard US hardcover instead, it is likely to be better made, will last longer and will be cheaper even with shipping factored in.

I decided to attempt to prove you wrong by preordering. I just realized amazon.co.uk now offers 'free super saver delivery' to my country. :read:

Might end up being a silly decision, but oh well.

Macro photos and a merciless review of the book's quality will follow. Please keep in mind that I don't exactly have a library to compare it to, though. :smug:

The fact that they can't even stick to one design style for the hardcover releases keeps me from buying anything like this until I can buy a whole set of them together, which probably means waiting another decade or so. Alas, hopefully they sell well so the publishers are encouraged to keep them coming.

I think you're probably incorrect. If you look at the picture, this edition looks very similar to the Slipcased edition of The Lord of the Rings which HarperCollins published in the 90s and early 2000s. Probably closer to the later editions which were quarter-bound in leather and printed on India paper, with all edges gilt. The stamping on the slipcase is exactly the same except with a direwolf instead of a heavily stylized symbol made from the letters J R R and T overlayed on eachother.

Check ISBN 0261103687

Archived