[Book Spoilers] Just figured out the title of this episode

Arataniello

For a long time I was confused by the title of this episode - "Baelor" - since there was no character of that name of which I could think. Then I realized -

It's probably for The Great Sept of Baelor, and that therefore this is going to include a rapid loss of height, along with some loss of brain function, for Ned Stark.

For a long time I was confused by the title of this episode - "Baelor" - since there was no character of that name of which I could think. Then I realized -

It's probably for The Great Sept of Baelor, and that therefore this is going to include a rapid loss of height, along with some loss of brain function, for Ned Stark.

Can't wait to see the comments about not being able to see a difference in his abilities.

I still don't know why they chose "Baelor" instead of "Baelor the Blessed" which would have been a better name IMHO. Yes, very minor nitpick there.

Because it refers to the Great Sept of Baelor, Not Baelor the Blessed himself.

I still don't know why they chose "Baelor" instead of "Baelor the Blessed" which would have been a better name IMHO. Yes, very minor nitpick there.

I think Baelor the Blessed wouldn't really sound as good as a title such as Baelor, since single word titles tend to have more significance ascribed to them.

I think Baelor the Blessed wouldn't really sound as good as a title such as Baelor, since single word titles tend to have more significance ascribed to them.

Well, I find the second assertion a bit questionable, although it is certainly the only single-word title in the series (to me that just makes it seem out of place). I find "Baelor the Blessed" more lyrical, and more ironic given what is going to take place in the episode. More interesting than just "Baelor", for sure.

If course, that's just my opinion :). And if the episode is as amazing as I think it is going to be, I couldn't care less, really.

Because it refers to the Great Sept of Baelor, Not Baelor the Blessed himself.

Yes, if one were to be strictly literal, you'd need "Great Sept of Baelor". But if you look at the other titles there is plenty of leeway to refer to the individual the Sept is named after, I think. I just love the idea of getting "Baelor the Blessed into an episode title, where a decidedly un-blessed event occurs. "Great Sept of Baelor" doesn't communicate that, and neither does "Baelor".

Again, not really important...

It's been so long since I read the book but I always remembered it as happening outside. Confused now.

Also who wants to bet that it will be the final scene of the episode?

It does happen outside in the book, just outside the Great Sept. Arya climbs partway up a statue to see. The last shots in the episode may in fact be of Arya being 'assisted' by Yoren.

Well, uh, duh? Personally I found it glaringly obvious.

How wonderful for you. Perhaps next time you could post something relevant to the discussion, instead of something self-congratulatory?

I thought Ned's execution was going to be in Ep8. Hm... Then I remembered he was executed on the Great Sept of Baelor, and now I know that this episode is most likely his death, which I'll probably be weeping at. :laugh:

I was puzzeled at first as well, but I guess it'll have to refer to Ned's beheading in the sept as well. I'm wondering if it'll refer to something else in the episode as well, since a "Golden Crown" referd to Viserys' "crown" and Joffreys blond hair, aka his "golden crown". Don't know what it could refer to though.

Considering that this episode will probably have

Jon finding out that Aemon is a Targaryen, and a lot of discussion of vows and honour, as well as Dany putting her faith in something like 'witchcraft'. As well as Stark wrestling with his honour and morality

I think 'Baelor' is a great name for the episode. This episode has the potential to be the most thematically linked of the first season. Another great name would be 'Family, Duty, Honour'. This should be the highlight of the first season.

Do you think that when Ned is killed, the non-readers who don't know the next books will think the story is ending?

I don't think it's likely, as it's common knowledge that there will be a tenth episode, and a second season is already in the works.

And I think many of them will be able to accept Ned's death once they watch Robb's destiny forever altered.

Of course, I don't know how they plan on reacting to the Red Wedding.

Archived