[Book Spoilers] Just figured out the title of this episode

Arataniello

Were the white walkers cgi or some dudes dressed up as urukhai? Dragons would have to be pure CGI. Adding them in a lot of scenes would be very expensive.

Who says they'll be in a lot of scenes? For all we know HBO might do what they did with the Direwolves and shorten the amount of scenes they appear in.

I think the single word title for this episode is fitting. It's powerful. Plus, The Great Sept of Baelor doesn't roll off the tongue easily. Sept of Baelor would have been okay.

Baelor the Blessed. It would have been perfect :tantrum:

(No, it's not that important).

Please forgive me if I am wrong, but aren't the dragons in just one scene this season?

The CGI creatures in the first Narnia movie looked good. Yeah, it was a movie, but it was six years ago, and there were multiple different kinds of animals in practically every scene. I'd be really disappointed if the dragons don't look good in this scene at least, there's barely any movement required. And we've already read interviews where the someone from the effects company talks about how important it is to do the scene justice.

Next season(s)... yeah, they will probably have to spend a little more money on the CGI, not just for the dragons, but for direwolves.

Baelor the Blessed. It would have been perfect :tantrum:

(No, it's not that important).

It's a relief you're not in charge of naming the episodes. "Baelor the Blessed" would have been a terrible name for such a tragic, climactic episode.

Yeah I expect they'll go all out with the final scene with the fire and dragons. Expensive, yes, but it's what closes the season, and it's what they need to make people go "HOLY SHIT" and come back for the next one, I think they'll do it justice.

It's a relief you're not in charge of naming the episodes. "Baelor the Blessed" would have been a terrible name for such a tragic, climactic episode.

You've never heard of irony, have you?

[EDIT] Also, no reason to be an ass, it's just an opinion, and you're free to disagree. Insulting me doesn't give your opinion more weight.

I read somewhere that they added 6 more SFX people for season 2.

They'll need them, too - Clash has the Battle of the Blackwater, House of the Undying, shadowbabies, and all the dragon stuff... :stunned: Hope they're talented!

'Baelor' was probably picked so that when people loan the DVD boxset to their mates, those who've seen it already can moan, "OMG... Baelor!" "I know!!" at each other. Anything longer wouldn't have been as snappy or ominous. ^_^

I don't think it's likely, as it's common knowledge that there will be a tenth episode, and a second season is already in the works.

And I think many of them will be able to accept Ned's death once they watch Robb's destiny forever altered.

Of course, I don't know how they plan on reacting to the Red Wedding.

I very nearly quit reading the Books after the Red Wedding myself. It's time for Martin to pick on someone other than the Starks. . .

I very nearly quit reading the Books after the Red Wedding myself. It's time for Martin to pick on someone other than the Starks. . .

Heh, I agree. Maybe you're not as misanthropic as your name suggests. :thumbsup:

I think Baelor the Blessed wouldn't really sound as good as a title such as Baelor, since single word titles tend to have more significance ascribed to them.

saying something. which is two mistakes as i count it.

anyone name the movie?

I'd say he pretty much started picking on the Lannisters at the end of ASoS and in AFFC, no?

Joffrey dead, Tywin dead, Myrcella disfigured, Cersei imprisoned and in deep shit, Lancel turned to fanaticism, Jaime losing his hand and his lover/sister, Kevan losing his beloved brother and working to get his son Lancel a good home and losing that too, Tyrion a disfigured, condemned fugitive... Kevan and Jaime are currently the only Lannisters that aren't in deep shit at the moment.

Meanwhile, the Starks:

Sansa is relatively safe at the Eyrie, though a fugitive; Arya is learning how to become an assassin; Bran is living an adventure to the North; Jon Snow is the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch; Rickon's fate is unknown but we can assume he's relatively safe with Osha. Ned, Cat and Robb died horribly, but so did Tywin and Joffrey and hopefully Cersei (and if we can believe Maggy's prophecy, Tommen and Myrcella will all die before her). All in all, I'd say the Starks are better off than the Lannisters at the moment. :D

UnJon beat me to it.

"Baelor" as a title does makes sense since it's the last word Ned says that had any truth to it. If you look as he's being brought out, he says it to Yoren, who then looks over and sees Arya on the statue of Baelor. He's telling Yoren to protect her. Everything he says after that is a lie.

So "Baelor" doesn't refer to the sept or the man, but to the statue. It's the last word of a man who's choosing love/family over honor, as Varys begged him to do.

• 2 years later...

Right, so it's clear now why the title is just Baelor and not Baelor's Sept or Baelor the Blessed. It's what Ned tells Yoren to save Arya:

UnJon beat me to it.

<snip>

So "Baelor" doesn't refer to the sept or the man, but to the statue.

Not quite... As Ned is being taken out, he sees Arya on the statue of Baelor. Then when he sees Yoren he cant tell him directly where Arya is, so he says "Baelor, Baelor!" and I think nods in the direction of the statue.

Yoren looks at the statue and sees Arya...

So the title is an indirect reference to how Arya escapes, at least for the moment.

Tim

I just watched this episode for the first time. I had not read the books or watched the series until Season 3. The titles of the episodes seemed entirely haphazard to me. Who the hell is Baelor? What are they trying to tell us?

As the guard leads him in, Ned spots Arya watching from the elevated base of the statue. He stops in front of Yoren as he is being lead to the stairs and says the single word "Baelor", hoping Yoren will look for Arya. She is behind them in the crowd and Yoren hasn't seen her.

As Ned speaks from the sept stairs, he looks at both his daughters. Sansa is beside the queen, expecting Ned to be exiled. Arya is visible above the crowd, clinging to the statue. Ned "confesses" and is pushed to his knees. As he looks up to spot Arya, she is gone. He bows his head and prays.

This is all about Ned's sacrifice to protect his daughters. At least he sees that Arya may have escaped with Yoren. I doubt he would have called on Yoren if he did not know he was going to die that day.

Archived