[Book Spoilers] EP107 Discussion

Ran

I thought the sixth was better, but this came as a close second. The Tywin/Jaime scene was perfection. I just hope this thread doesn't get hijacked by discussion of sex in the series, like the other one was. Isn't there a thread just for that?

I was weirded out by Tonks as well. GRRM has said that he loved the actress' portrayal of Osha, so I guess we'll see. But so far, my biggest 'wtf' at the casting directors. How is she supposed to carry Bran around now? :P Soon the actor playing Bran will be just as tall as she is!

I don't get the Pyp/Dareon thing either. They got an extra to play Dareon, no idea why now Pyp is being sent to another castle to sing.

I'm gonna miss Mark Addy. And Joffrey's reactions to Robert in this episode were pure gold. I'm really impressed they got as many good young/child actors as they did, they're usually terrible.

Yes, I'm complaining a lot, but I think it's legitimate. I LOOOOVED the last two episodes and this one just left me cold.

This is how I felt, too.

Oh forgot to mention, I'm a little disappointed they've only named one of Drogo's bloodriders, but Rakharo is definitely a badass in this series.

Littlefinger sex scene - yuk, could have edited the visual part of the sex and left in the talking easily.

The rest great. I think Tywin radiated power. Drogo's speech was fluent. I had worried he would sound like a Klingon.

No matter how many times I read the books, I want to hit Ned Stark up the side of the head and bang some common sense into him! Course if any of the Starks had common sense, we would not have had a story to begin with.

I tend to like all of the added material. For a book veteran it feels like we are getting behind the scenes details. Really looking forward to next week since GRRM wrote it and want to see what new scenes he adds.

The Tywin/Jaime scene is still my favorite part of the episode and again I actually like that Tywin is skinning the buck. It symbolized him gutting House Baratheon and it also shows he's a man who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. The blood just wipes off. I also loved, "Are you going to say something clever? Go on...say something clever." Jaime is totally cowed by him. Loved it.

After all the pre-viewing hate, I was expecting a horrible episode...

No, I didn't like the scene with Littlefinger and Ros- and I'm a bit annoyed with them (the writers? HBO? D&D?) for allowing that scene, despite that- it was a good episode. Loved the Tywin introduction, and Drogo's scene was pretty awesome! Although, the "rape the women and kill the children" (of Westeros), not cool...

But hey, thaaat's Drogo!

Very disappointing. Robert's death was poorly done, Robert speaking with almost complete lucidity. Did Ned express any sadness to see his friend dying? Lord Tywin Lannister, the "richest man in the seven kingdoms" as this series likes to emphasize is introduced doing the job of a steward? The Lord of Casterly Rock needs to skin his own supper? Will we see Stannis laying the rushes at Storm's End in the opening of Season 2?

It's a creative choice by the producers/directors, and it's one that subtracts, like what feels to me too many of their choices do (more pointless nudity this episode).

Ned trusts Littlefinger because he is the worst player in the "Game of Thrones" in the history of mankind. That is his tragic flaw.

His wife told him to trust Littlefinger, she's known him since he was a boy. So he trusts him. And thus begins the Catelyn Stark = AntiChrist debate once again :)

Although, the "rape the women and kill the children" (of Westeros), not cool!

Did he say "kill the children"? I thought it was "rape their women and make their children slaves."

Horrible sentiments, but highly realistic for a nomadic warlord, I thought.

Am I the only person in the world who really, really loved the Littlefinger sexposition scene? I don't care whether he would/would not talk that frankly to any of his whores, and I don't care that it was more (oh, no!) sex. Littlefinger knows about screwing people over, and making them like it, and that's what that scene was about for me.

Liked the Tywin scene, though not as much as the Littlefinger scene. That looked like a real stag he was really skinning; if it was, I sure hope they ate it! (And did they have to pay him extra to do that? Ew!)

I tend to like all of the added material. For a book veteran it feels like we are getting behind the scenes details. Really looking forward to next week since GRRM wrote it and want to see what new scenes he adds.

The Tywin/Jaime scene is still my favorite part of the episode and again I actually like that Tywin is skiing the buck. It symbolized him gutting House Baratheon and it also shows he's a man who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. The blood just wipes off. I also loved, "Are you going to say something clever? Go on...say something clever." Jaime is totally cowed by him. Loved it.

I agree. The added scenes make me enjoy the series even more tbh, because they're things we haven't read in the books. It's nice to get additional information and see how things would have panned out from other perspectives. I wouldn't like the show to be an exact copy of the original material, other wise there's not much point in watching it. With the exception of the LF scene (which went on a bit too long) I've liked these extra surprises.

I thought it was "rape their women and make their children slaves."

Well, Dany is extremely anti-rape and anti-slave so it seemed a little odd that he was promising her these things to me! Eh. Maybe she doesn't know she feels that way yet... or something.

So weird, how few people are here now--19 members??!! Usually this thread would be flooded after each episode. Maybe its because its a holiday weekend (in the US) ? Quien sabe...

Everyone watched it on HBO Go; that thread has 19 pages, so no one's here. Lame.

I agree. The added scenes make me enjoy the series even more tbh, because they're things we haven't read in the books. It's nice to get additional information and see how things would have panned out from other perspectives. I wouldn't like the show to be an exact copy of the original material, other wise there's not much point in watching it. With the exception of the LF scene (which went on a bit too long) I've liked these extra surprises.

I absolutely agree. As much as I love the show and the story, I don't think I am enjoying it as much as I would have had I not already read the books. I know everything that is going to happen already, so that is why I look forward to added scenes. Most of them have been scenes that I think could have been straight from the book, there are obviously exceptions. However, overall I have been very satisfied with the scenes added to the show.

Well, Dany is extremely anti-rape and anti-slave so it seemed a little odd that he was promising her these things to me! Eh. Maybe she doesn't know she feels that way yet... or something.

Lol. Dany was just all shaking her head going, "That's my Drogo."

Everyone watched it on HBO Go; that thread has 19 pages, so no one's here. Lame.

True. I watched it, too, on HBO Go last week, but was looking forward to the rush of input here when the rest of the world chimed in. Just feels strange..

I liked the episode overall, as a whole, but many parts of it fell a little flat.

Littlefinger's scene just didn't do it for me. Didn't like it last week, couldn't pay attention this week. I liked Tywin's intro and all the scenes with Dany and Jon, very well done. Is that Essos they're in? Whatever part of the world, I'm becoming very immersed in it from a visual point of view.

The only thing that really bothered me was Ned and Cersei's confrontation. The setting was off from the books. Dialogue, acting, cinematography? Great. Excellent stuff. The place they chose to do it? Meh. But I will chalk this up to the scene just being that good in my head that it would be too hard to do it justice.

Also, something about Littlefinger's voice just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's in the sense that the character's supposed to inspire distrust, maybe it's just poor acting. Can't decide which it is yet.

Archived