How Would You Rate Episode 107?

Ran

256 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

My problem with the series is that the show follows too closely to the novel. What works on the page doesn't necessarily work on the screen. The two best scenes in the series so far were the Cercei/Robert scene and the Tywin/Jaime scene - neither of which was in the book. The Littlefinger scene would have been a third if it wasn't for the over the top lesbain action going on at the same time. If they kind of let themselves be inspired by the book and follow the plot from it rather than following page by page dialogue, it'd be a much better series.

If they would do so then there would be also people who would be saying they are doing a bad job because they do not follow what is written in the book.

I also think that the scenes you mantioned were great. It great that the series can offer scenes that are not written down in the books, but which show us much of the background. eg littlefingers love for catelyn, cersei-robert problems, tywins relationship to jaime and so on. I just think that the mix of following the book and doing such improvised scenes is important. And in my opinion they have done an excellent job till now.

Well of course there would. THere were fans who didn't watch LOTR because it didn't follow the books as closely as they'd have liked. But it was a successful adaptation nonetheless. You can't take a book and just put it on screen - it's a different medium. And especially if its a book which was written PRECISELY because the author was tired of the limitations that TV/Movies imposed. It doesn't make sense to force it.

Don't want to duel over this here, but...

Film is an art form that has used music since it's inception. Most great directors both use it and defend it, despite the fact that the music comes from nowhere.

Guess they all failed.

GoT could have been filmed without music and I could live with that just fine. But since it is scored, I just wish it had been done better.

I don't want to duel about the music thing either, but wanted to add me two cents.. I agree with you, music is important for film. It brings out emotion.

Just to stress that point, I remember one of my teachers had us watching a horror film without the music. it wasn't as scary.

If they would do so then there would be also people who would be saying they are doing a bad job because they do not follow what is written in the book.

True, but I wouldn't worry about that, 95%+ of the book's fans are going to continue watching/subscribing regardless (unless it's really, really horrible, which is not likely given the talented cast and crew). I agree with Lokhtar that diverging even more while maintaining a base of the spirit of the books would not necessarily be a bad thing. I'm not saying change basic plot points like who lives or dies, or the basic nature of the characters, but adding additional characterization scenes and cutting out some clunky dialogue or even whole scenes that don't work as well on screen would be fine. I would even cut some entire characters and locations (for example perhaps Euron and Victarion) to keep the pace moving better and allow more time for main characters. I'd also shift around a lot of the timeline to give a better flow and not have characters disappear for long stretches (sometimes entire books). The POV nature of the books demands some changes as it is, but I'd go even further. You can see in the Harry Potter movies where slavish devotion to the written page has bad consequences.

• 7 months later...

Great episode! The Jaime and Tywin scene was another addition on the show I enjoyed very much. It really set the mood for the Lannister and what they are about. Charles Dance plays Tywin perfectly.

• 2 months later...

How come sir Barristan just follows the orders of the Queen when he has just read that King Robert gave Ned the regency?

Is her word ("we have a new king now") more valid than the kings will???

Why did he just sat watching the gold cloaks perform something that in his eyes should seem like a coup?

• 1 year later...