[No Spoilers] Celebrating the Little Touches

Back in Ep. #1, Cersei recalls to to Jaime the time they were 7 yrs old and Jaime leaped off a 100-ft cliff, totally without fear. Jaime responds: 'There was nothing to fear, until you told father. ' "Lannisters don't act like fools." ' (Tywin's response)

Now, in Ep. #7, Jaime is discussing the fight with Ned while Jaime and Tywin are in the tent. Tywin keeps asking why is Ned Stark still alive. Jaime says something about a guard interferring and Tywin snaps: "Lannisters don't act like fools."

I liked hearing that again--it says that's a phrase Tywin's children have heard before, and dread. Also interesting that Jaime said 'There was nothing to fear, until you told father.'

(Makes me glad Tywin's not my daddy!) :whip:

Most episodes (like many great shows) have an underlying theme which unfies the disparate stories. The best example of this was Ep5 which was the inadequecy of younger brothers who weren't raised to be leaders.

This week's seemed a rather simple one, Robert's Failures.

He did not leave a proper heir, while he was the victim in this case, he is the King and the buck stops here. Even with the deception aside, Joffery is clearly not a fit ruler.

Drogo was not going to invade, Robert pushed him into action with his clumsy action. Again, you could lay the fault of this at the feet of Varys/Renly/LF but these are the men he chose to run his kingdom, he accepts responsibility for his failure.

Even on his deathbed, his unable to do things right. He knew the transition to his son would be a challenging time. Yet he chose to proclaim this to Ned privately. He should have made this proclamtion as public as possible. He knows Ned's personal guard is too weak, yet he does nothing to ensure his final decree is followed.

And of course, his mortal wound.

Back in Ep. #1, Cersei recalls to to Jaime the time they were 7 yrs old and Jaime leaped off a 100-ft cliff, totally without fear. Jaime responds: 'There was nothing to fear, until you told father. ' "Lannisters don't act like fools." ' (Tywin's response)

Now, in Ep. #7, Jaime is discussing the fight with Ned while Jaime and Tywin are in the tent. Tywin keeps asking why is Ned Stark still alive. Jaime says something about a guard interferring and Tywin snaps: "Lannisters don't act like fools."

I liked hearing that again--it says that's a phrase Tywin's children have heard before, and dread. Also interesting that Jaime said 'There was nothing to fear, until you told father.'

(Makes me glad Tywin's not my daddy!) :whip:

The addition of the Tywin scene was amazing in that it managed to cement and explain the character not only of Jaime and Tywin who are IN the scene, but also of Cersei and Tyrion who were nowhere NEAR the scene. That's what a good additional scene should do.

The addition of the Tywin scene was amazing in that it managed to cement and explain the character not only of Jaime and Tywin who are IN the scene, but also of Cersei and Tyrion who were nowhere NEAR the scene. That's what a good additional scene should do.

I agree.

For me that scene cemented the Lannisters as (wannabe) lions among sheep, and it's all because of skinning that stag and Tywin's words. Very nicely done, one of my favorites so far.

Okay, I realize this scene was in E06, but it's a 'little touch' if there ever was one..

Reading the 'unofficial appendix' at the Citadel section of this site, I came to know that the words of House Mormont are 'Here We Stand'.

Viserys: Does loyalty mean nothing to you?

Jorah: It means everything to me.

Viserys: And yet here you stand.

Jorah: And yet here I stand.

Even the way he said it, it seemed like it had an inexplicable (to us) significance to him. I had no idea before now. :bowdown:

Okay, I realize this scene was in E06, but it's a 'little touch' if there ever was one..

Reading the 'unofficial appendix' at the Citadel section of this site, I came to know that the words of House Mormont are 'Here We Stand'.

Even the way he said it, it seemed like it had an inexplicable (to us) significance to him. I had no idea before now. :bowdown:

Great catch! I may have my quibbles with the tv series, but stuff like THIS gives me the shivers. Iain Glen is doing an astounding job as Jorah Mormont so far. Not to mention....all this makes me realize I *really* need to do a re-read, asap. Thanks. :)

Ohhh, nice one! Good catch, indeed. :thumbsup:

Charles Dance's hair. It's slightly strange, but that stark mixture of grey and reddish blonde genuinely reminds me of an old Lion, with it's hair changing. It's coming to the end of it's reign, and it wants it's heir to be fitting. Really, it just added that little bit extra to the scene. Brilliant casting choice.

Archived