Glen Cooks The Black Company series

dylan

That's one hell of a statement. Cook has a style that matches his Universe (in the Black Company, at least. I didn't find "Garret P.I." so great) and every now and then (when the story allows it) his style, as a writer (and not just a "pulp maker") really shines. The end of the Silver Spike for instance... this IS great writing: the way the different PoV switch, faster and faster, following the pace of the action, that's really skillfull writing.

And yes, I would indeed reccomend that series to just about everyone (even if the "we're the black company, we're the ultimate badass and we got True Grit" may dissapoint some readers).

edit: I like the "in the trenches"-style. Suits him :D

Oh yeah, i forgot about Garret PI. That sucks ass too.

I've read more or less everything cook has made, except some standalones, eg: the tower of fear.

Strangely, i prefer Darkwar and the later black company books. They're unusual, they've got a dream-like atmosphere that remains no matter the pov switches. Plus i like pulp.

Oh yeah, i forgot about Garret PI. That sucks ass too.

I've read more or less everything cook has made, except some standalones, eg: the tower of fear.

Strangely, i prefer Darkwar and the later black company books. They're unusual, they've got a dream-like atmosphere that remains no matter the pov switches.

Your extensive and well reasoned arguments have persuaded me. I shall now burn all my Glen Cook books and move to finland.

Having real issues with the first Darkwar, just can't stay focused.

I actually enjoy the Garret novels, but I have to be in the mood for them.

The Dark Tower one was one that is kinda meh...except when it isn't.

A Matter of Time is pretty slick, tho.

Having real issues with the first Darkwar, just can't stay focused.

I actually enjoy the Garret novels, but I have to be in the mood for them.

The Dark Tower one was one that is kinda meh...except when it isn't.

A Matter of Time is pretty slick, tho.

The Garrett novels seem to start good, but then just get slower and bog down as the story evolves. I think they'd all be better at least 100 pages shorter. Anyway, though the Dresden Files has moved beyond the P.I. schtick, even the first couple that stayed true to that theme were better than the Garrett books I've read. Which admittedly is only two.

But then, I've literally opened Soldiers Live just to reread the last chapter perhaps 10 times. So, uh, anyone have suggestions as to which Garrett novels are the best, because I suppose I owe that old bastard a second look at that series.

Maybe I need to give these books another chance. I tried reading the first Black Company a few years back and didn't make it more than 50 pages in. At first glance neither his style nor his world seemed particularly intriguing. I had a tough time forming interesting mental images around his descriptions, which will just kill any fiction read for me.

I can see how it would appeal to military types, though.

I thoroughly enjoyed these books although like everyone has said, the writing style did take a little to get used to. They were not something I would pick up on my own and had to be told from a friend to read them. My buddy's encouragement also kept me going through the first pages.

• 5 months later...

Mister COOK was in Nantes (France) last WE and told in interview that the 2 upcoming books of the series would be

- Port of Shadows ; would plot between 1st and 2nd volume. it is partly written and cold be released within 2 years

-A Pitiless Rain would be the sequel to Soldiers Live

here a link, (fr)

http://www.elbakin.net/interview/exclusive/Glen-Cook-aux-Utopiales-2011-le-dossier

Other intersting news, seems that some producers have got in touch with his agents for a adaptation .... wait and hope ....

Dream Empire is a different universe, although there was some vague throw away sentence I think in one of the later ones that suggested they would be connected.

If they adapt Black Company for TV i will throw a party.

all the books are good, but for not the same reasons, i'll let you discover why .... the hardest is most likly black season

have'nt read (yet) dread empire but i don't think it is placed in the same world

wow, I think I read these back in 1984. I liked them, but when I tried a reread a few years ago, I just couldn't get into them.

I am just shocked people are still reading these.

Read most of them for the first time this year. Sucked me in real quick too, especially the first two books.

Love the Taken.

I've read the first trilogy and I like it a lot. Are the second and third omnibuses good too? The Dread Empire takes place in the same universe, right? Is the Dread Empire good too?

I love The Black Company and would probably out Dread Empire just above it. Personal preference though, I don't know too many people that would agree. Dread Empire certainly isn't as widely known. He has some great Sci Fi too. DE is definitely worth reading though, and now is certainly a good time to dive in seeing as it will finally be finished pretty soon ( beginning of 2012 I believe )

I think that's a huge part of the appeal - the Taken.

Holy shit, those characters are just sooooo... fucked up and evil. And somehow human. Like, the Limper. Evil, cruel, not bright...and somehow...pathetic.

Huge Soulcatcher fan, and the Howler. And... TOADKILLER DOG!

Plus, I like the magic "system"- every mage does it differently, and it's not just raw power, but layers upon layers of spells; even One-eye works like that...as in, keep an eye on the spear he's always working on. Dude creates a weapon that literally is ungodly.

oh - Cook has a smaller one-off book, the Swordbearer. I love it enough to re-read every year or so...it's like he condensed an entire series into one novel.

Archived