First review of ADWD

Werthead

Interesting.

Slightly spoilerific as well, though nothing major. General vibe is positive, but the reviewer states that it has the same 'feel' as Feast for Crows (exactly what that means I'm not sure, as the reviewer also indicates the book has more plot movement and developments than AFFC).

The biggest weakness of the book - one we already knew about - is that apparently it leaves things set up nicely for Book 6, and of course we have to endure a multi-year wait for that volume.

General vibe is positive, but the reviewer states that it has the same 'feel' as Feast for Crows

Oh Christ. That's not good. :unsure: Thanks for posting anyway, Wert.

ETA: The review basically is stating that fans won't find what the series is renown and well-liked for.

Here is the blurb for people who don't want to click the link:

A few images recur in the enormously complex fifth installment of Martin's massively multicharacter epic: the chess-like game cyvasse, small rivers flowing into larger ones, ships and armies battered by terrible storms. These themes suggest that readers should think strategically, be patient as the story grows, and brace for a beating. Martin's fans, however, are hungry for more action and purpose, their appetites whetted by a six-year wait and the recent HBO adaptation of A Game of Thrones. Dance was originally the second half of 2005's A Feast for Crows, sometimes criticized for shifting from battles and intrigue to slow trudges through war-torn, corpse-littered Westeros. The new volume has a similar feel to Feast and takes place over a similar time frame; Martin keeps it fresh by focusing on popular characters Tyrion Lannister, Daenerys Targaryen, and Jon Snow, all notably absent from the previous book. These three are generally thought the most plausible riders of the titular dragons, but plots within plots abound, and two strong new candidates for those scaly saddles emerge as a powerful enemy threatens Daenerys's captured city of Meereen, Tyrion is kidnapped by slavers, and treachery undermines Jon's command of the undead-battling Night's Watch. More characters are revived than killed off and more peace accords signed than wars declared, but the heart-hammering conclusion hints that the next installment will see a return to the fiery battles and icy terror that earned the series its fanatic following. Even ostensibly disillusioned fans will be caught up in the interweaving stories, especially when Martin drops little hints around long-debated questions such as Jon's parentage.

This comes across as a good review for the book. Though I think that this book will receive strong criticism from the readership due to extremely high expectations because of the wait. I'm expecting a book similar to AFFC... which for me is the strongest book in the series - in terms of character development.

Notice too that the reviewer claims that disillusioned fans will be caught up in the book - that suggests to me that while the book is not action driven, that it is still a very good book.

I wouldn't call that a small Tyrion spoiler.

Now we have an idea of what happens to him after the second released chapter, when he's traveling with the Griffs. I suppose at some point they sell him out.

Having the same feel as aFfC is definitely not good. Also

More characters are revived than killed off and more peace accords signed than wars declared, but the heart-hammering conclusion hints that the next installment will see a return to the fiery battles and icy terror that earned the series its fanatic following.

After so many years, I don't want a book that hints that action will come, I want the action now.

Then again, I await the book with as much anticipation as fear, so I'm probably overreacting.

btw what does 'hints' about Jon's parentage mean? We have two more books, it's about time to answer the question and deal with the consequences (I'm assuming that R+L=J is true until proved otherwise).

The review sounds as if the book will be the same as aFfC, only with more popular characters - nothing happening until the end.

Now I'm thinking that maybe it's not a good idea to read those reviews if i'm going to freak out so much from a review that doesn't even sound negative enough to justify me freaking out.

states that it has the same 'feel' as Feast for Crows (exactly what that means I'm not sure, as the reviewer also indicates the book has more plot movement and developments than AFFC).

I think that this is in reference to 'slow trudges through war-torn Westeros'.

Interesting, thanks for posting Werthead.

One particularly surprising development (warning: pretty major spoiler for Dance):

"Tyrion is kidnapped by slavers" - now that looks like a surprising detour

Somewhat surprising for me:

"Martin drops little hints around long-debated questions such as Jon's parentage" I hadn't expected more hints until he was ready to finally reveal it. Wonder in which form this will come - probably from Barristan

Oh Christ. That's not good. :unsure: Thanks for posting anyway, Wert.

ETA: The review basically is stating that fans won't find what the series is renown and well-liked for.

Not quite, it is stating the feel of the book is quite close to AFFC. That is only a bad thing if you disliked AFFC, which part of the fandom does but not everyone by any means. Also, the return of Jon, Dany and Tyrion alone will change things even for some who disliked AFFC - since quite a few dislike it mostly because those 3 weren't in it to start with!

I think "Dance" will be a great book as usual, if not entirely to the liking of people who really dislike the slower pace from "Feast".

I think that this is in reference to 'slow trudges through war-torn Westeros'.

As well as a general lack of huge set-piece battles and dramatic bloodshed, a la the Battle of Blackwater and the Red Wedding. I'm fine with that. Not so fine with 2/3rds of the book being filled with characters I don't care about doing little of interest.

"More characters are revived than killed off..."

This has so many potential applications. Does the reviewer simply mean that more living characters come back on screen (Theon, etc) or is it referencing the wights of the Others?

Or, even better, could it be UnGregor... or my fanboy wish of UnCat breathing life back into someone? Robb?

I wouldn't call that a small Tyrion spoiler.

Now we have an idea of what happens to him after the second released chapter, when he's traveling with the Griffs. I suppose at some point they sell him out.

Doesn't have to be the Griffs, he could be taken by a rival sellsword group or just random bandits. Interestingly, this may give him common ground with Dany right away as Dany has shown a serious dislike for slavers recently (to put it mildly). Tyrion may come to her as a victim, of sorts. Possibly, motley will be involved (IIRC there were some vague hints about Tyrion in motley)

Why do you mark spoilers? If someone hasn't read the review because they don't want to be spoiled, they won't read the comments about the review either o.O

Because they might be interested in non-spoiler comments about it, such as the OP's. Putting something in spoiler tags takes just a second, no reason not to do it. Everyone will look at this thread (whether they are reading the review or not) and now they won't have to see something they might have otherwise.

Archived