First review of ADWD

Werthead

i just had this strange email from amazon germany,where I preorderd ADWD, and it looks as if they are shipping my copy tomorrow...

I'm not complaining,but it seems strange that we germans should have the us-copy of the book in our hands before you guys and girls do. :shocked:

If you haven't already, check the this thread in the General ASOIAF section.

...to be signed while attending Cersei's execution

Do people really think this is going to happen in ADwD? I thought it was commonly assumed that Cersei's fate will likely end with Jaime strangling her. Also note that Tommen and Myrcella still have to die before she does.

Personally I'm looking forward to UnGregor being her champion in her battle.

Personally I'm looking forward to UnGregor being her champion in her battle.

How is this going to happen? Why does everyone think this is going to happen? She has to have a Kingsguard Knight as her champion. She is in prison and powerless, and power is held by Harys Swift and Pycelle, the latter of whom hates Qyburn. They seem unlikely to appoint an undead monstrosity to the Kingsguard. Nor is Kevan Lannister or Mace Tyrell any more likely to appoint an undead monstrosity to the Kingsguard. I think UnGregor will have a role to play, but I don't see how it could possibly be as Cersei's champion in a trial by combat. Perhaps Martin will surprise me on this and come up with a mechanism to make it happen, but it's certainly not the most likely looking thing right now.

No reviews are coming out much earlier than the release date. Anyone who has a copy now is embargoed, or effectively embargoed.

Forgive me if this was explained earlier in the thread, but can someone explain to me why reviewers are under embargo until the release (or close to it)? As long as they are giving opinions and ratings as opposed to summaries and spoilers, I don't see why reviews have to wait. I mean, we're only two week out at this point. Plus, I can't see this book not selling well no matter what the critics write.

I may be missing something obvious here, lol...

Basically, it's a fear of spoilers. The only other thing is that Bantam may have given someone else an exclusive on a first review (maybe TIME?) - PW capsule reviews don't really count as they're so short and vague - and have an embargo in place until that's gone out.

I'm trying to clarify whether Bantam are still enforcing the embargo now the book has gone out to the public. With the entire book summarised online in some places, continuing to enforce it seems futile, but who knows?

Archived