Dresden Files

Humble Asskicker

I don't consider this a spoiler, but out of all the awesome, awesome lines in this book, my favorite, that still has me grinning, is "Wow!"

Honestly, it came from one of my very favorite scenes in the entire damn series so far. I re-read the whole section, and hardly ever do that unless it's some intensely important plot moment.

I guess I'm the only person who thinks Mac is the Merlin, huh? At least that's what I was thinking by the time I finished the book. The two things that lead me to this line of thought: Maeve says something to the effect of it being ironic that Mac was there and Mac healing almost instantly once the bullet was removed. I attributed the latter to his being on Demonreach, since both Murph(I think) and Harry comment on how that didn't happen when he was beaten. Just a thought I had while reading, what do y'all think?

I just finished it. I’m glad we got to see a good deal of Toot Toot and Butters but Michel not so much really missed him. Also good way to handle the whole Molly situation. This one was really good almost back to the high notes of Dead Beat and Proven Guility. Kind of really interesting to think that this "conversion" or whatever it is has been the driving force behind much of the narrative since the very beginning of the series.

I was really skeptical. I didn't think Butcher could do anything without any vampires to kick around. It was good to see Mouse again I wonder what happened to Mister.

Good stuff. Blew through it in a few hours. Plot-wise, it actually feels like a bit of a re-hash; but many of the books have felt that way, and they're still fun pulp. But I loved the backstory and worldbuilding (drink!) that were prominent in this book.:

This was basically my opinion. Book was quite good and I liked learning more about the Outsiders, Winter/Summer's roles, etc. But that being said, after the "oomph" of the last two books, the story felt way too much like a typical Dresden plot. Also, I felt that all of Harry's old friends got over him being alive again way too easily. Granted, it had been several months since he "died", but almost everyone accepted him being back without batting an eye. Especially after Ghost Story. They may have had doubts about his personality or loyalty, but they didn't seem to have any problem with him coming back from the dead. It's like Butcher was trying too hard to get things back to "normal".

Not gonna read the whole thread because I fear the temptation to read spoilers. But I am still finishing up Red Country so I haven't gotten past like the 5th chapter in the new book. So far I LOVE what I have read and feel that he's found his groove again. Havent really liked them that much since Turn Coat but being out of the city and everything really revives it for me. I know he's gotta go commune with his friends and everything, but I hope it keeps the other worldly feel for much of the book.

Still wishing we had more Codex Alera:(

• 2 weeks later...

I have read all the way up until Cold days. They are definately an enjoyable read. Jim Butcher is far from a master craftsmen as a writer. I don't think he would claim to be himself. I think his concepts for the traditional monster story are very fresh and unique. This is the real strength of the series. it's very creative and has a high level of fun for the reading.

Now here are my gripes. Jim Butcher really needs to start giving his readers more credit. The incessant need to repeat/bring up facts from previous books/and use inner monolog to defend his Gary Sue character can really become grating in parts. This actually got worse not better as the series went on. Yet it isn't SOOO bad that i stopped reading. You just need to take it with a grain or two of salt and enjoy the fun while realizing this isn't Dostoevsky.

I have read all the way up until Cold days. They are definately an enjoyable read. Jim Butcher is far from a master craftsmen as a writer. I don't think he would claim to be himself. I think his concepts for the traditional monster story are very fresh and unique. This is the real strength of the series. it's very creative and has a high level of fun for the reading.

Now here are my gripes. Jim Butcher really needs to start giving his readers more credit. The incessant need to repeat/bring up facts from previous books/and use inner monolog to defend his Gary Sue character can really become grating in parts. This actually got worse not better as the series went on. Yet it isn't SOOO bad that i stopped reading. You just need to take it with a grain or two of salt and enjoy the fun while realizing this isn't Dostoevsky.

For instance when he starts explaining why magic is hard to do on water for the fifth time in the same book. Or the description of soul fire for that matter. Or why circles are important.

It's been explained several times in each of the 13 previous books, might be time to assume that the reader has gotten the gist of it.

For instance when he starts explaining why magic is hard to do on water for the fifth time in the same book. Or the description of soul fire for that matter. Or why circles are important.

It's been explained several times in each of the 13 previous books, might be time to assume that the reader has gotten the gist of it.

Correct. I wouldn't have thrown down hard earned duckets for book 12 if i hadn't read the series :)

I think it is kind of worse when he has Harry do something in the grey area and then uses his inner monolog to explain why harry isn't being a bad guy. :) We all have been reading Mr Butcher....you don't have to defend Harry to us and it seems awkward.

Also when he uses the inner monolog to explain his pop culture references. Either we have all watched Starwars or we haven't.....but if someone has gotten this far in life and not seen it....you will probably not be the one to let light in sir :)

He writes the books so that they will not be inaccessable to the first time reader. Hence the repetition.

Is that was his bread and butter is? 1st time readers jumping in at book 12 without reading any other books. If i was to guess i would think that would be the smallest possible group of his readers.

Is that was his bread and butter is? 1st time readers jumping in at book 12 without reading any other books. If i was to guess i would think that would be the smallest possible group of his readers.

It makes me facepalm but there are a LOT of people out there who will go to the store and buy a book without thinking about where it takes place in a series. I also wish he would drop the repitition, but eh, money.

It makes me facepalm but there are a LOT of people out there who will go to the store and buy a book without thinking about where it takes place in a series. I also wish he would drop the repitition, but eh, money.

I hear you...i think it just diminishes what i feel is a really interesting and fresh take on his personal world and monster mythos.

Some people also recommend starting the series at something other then the beginning (usually book 3, 4, or 7 in my experience).

Really? I agree it doesn't hit full steam until then...but the background is invaluable in understanding the character.

Archived