Can't view profiles or send PM's

Arbor Gold

Hey, I know I'm logged in, but when I try to send a PM or view someone's profile, I get the screen that says I don't have permission. Weird? I'm on Firefox v. 3.0 on a Mac.

Hmm, also the list of posters viewing a topic is missing, and on the home page, the full list of everyone currently viewing the forum is blank.

I'll be very embarrassed if this is some sort of weird ban specific to me... :)

Not as far as I know! Sounds like something for Ran's odd glitch list.

Just tried to get into the messenger. Was this your error?

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10227] You are not allowed to use the private messaging system.

Useful Links

Forgotten Password Recovery

Register a new account

Our help documentation

Contact the forums administrator

For viewing member profiles, I got this error:

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10245] You are not permitted to view member profiles.

Useful Links

Forgotten Password Recovery

Register a new account

Our help documentation

Contact the forums administrator

thanks for looking into this, Ran :)

Sorry, folks. As I noted elsewhere, I turned off some features to avoid the post-show crush leading too a lot of MySQL errors. That included profiles. We are now back in standard mode, however.

Okay, a lengthy down time again, for which we apologize! We experimented with increasing max_connections, as we thought we had dealt with some issues with ACP that caused problems when there were too many connections spinning off httpd queries...

Well, that was not the best decision. The server began to swap memory approximately every .25 seconds. Not. Good.

So not good, that our valiant and incredible host, Sparks, wasn't able to do anything. She'd get it to reboot... and by the time she could access it, you guys were flooding it again! In the end, a data center tech had to shut down Apache as the machine started, to let her get back into it and put things back to the previous levels.

Unfortunately, multiple reboots and all also led to some database corruption, so we had to take it down again and correct that.

Now, it's okay, though doubtless we shall get the usual SQL errors, for which we apologize.

We have a few more tricks up our sleeves, and may even move to an (even beefier) server, where perhaps a fresh install of various things may give us a better chance of dealing with the traffic.

I thought I was being punished for being a bad girl and posting spoilers in the wrong thread. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for the spoilers -- sometimes it's hard to remember that not everyone here has read the books, as it used to be in the good old times ... :grouphug: Oh, and I hope this site gets even more traffic and fame, even if it means more SQL errors and no PMs.

I was so glad to see the above posts, been worried and concerned all day. I tried to contact a mod this morning, got the notice that 'I didn't have permission' to do so. :stunned: My first thought was 'Holy crap, what did I do now? I'm...blacklisted?'

Then later in the day, tried to contact another member--same thing. :stunned: I was all like: 'WhatdidIdowhatdidIdowhatdidIdo? And, 'Hey,I'msorryI'msorryI'msorry, won't doitagain,won'tdoitagain, gimmechance,gimmechance,gimmechance!' Whew. Stress.

• 2 weeks later...

Temporary measure to reduce the chances of trolls coming to the forum and spamming spoilers. Access will be restored after the book is published on July 12. :)

Archived