[BOOK SPOILERS] Battles

Corvinus85

The Whispering Wood isn't shown in the books. As far as the Green Fork, it was an anti-climactic battle where nothing of any particular importance happened. I'm fine with them skipping it. If they skip the Blackwater next season, that'll be another thing entirely, but neither of these battles is actually important to show.

ETA: I don't see why the fact that they skipped one anti-climactic battle where nothing important happens and another battle that also isn't shown in the books is evidence of what they will do with the actual important battle that is depicted in the books next season.

You should email GRRM directly and let him know he, so he can stop writing it.

Doesn't mean shit. He already mentioned that a scene was cut from his episode this season (showing riders going to the castles of all the bannermen in the North) they can easily cut from his episode next season as well.

I wonder if the tv show will have any effect on the way George writes ASOIAF. Will he make his future battle scenes in ASOIAF smaller scale so he can pander a possible adaptation of his future novels if Game of Thrones is renewed for a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th season?

I wonder if the tv show will have any effect on the way George writes ASOIAF. Will he make his future battle scenes in ASOIAF smaller scale so he can pander a possible adaptation of his future novels if Game of Thrones is renewed for a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th season?

Why would he? He wrote big, exciting battles already, yet there wasn't much trouble adapting them, so they'd just do that again. When the wolves and dragons take on bigger roles, it will get harder.

Why would he? He wrote big, exciting battles already, yet there wasn't much trouble adapting them, so they'd just do that again. When the wolves and dragons take on bigger roles, it will get harder.

Well by making battles smaller scale, it makes it easy to adapt in the future. George already mentioned that he had trouble writing the script for Blackwater because it was far too big.

Well the episode worked, mostly. But still a large disappointment.

Frankly the biggest disappointment is not seeing Jaime hacking through a dozen men trying to get at Robb once he realizes the battle is lost. I'm sort of PO'ed we didn't get that, actually.

After all that build up they could have at least given us one battle as a climax to the story, the Whispering woods would not bee particularly hard to show, just people fighting among the trees.

"I always wanted it to be as in the books -- you see nothing. Maybe you hear something of it, but you never see it. So ... pretty glad of that."

We didn’t even get to hear it, at least they could have given us that.

Going by this episode, when we get to the adaption of book 3 we will spend one or two seasons being told about how dangerous the attack of the wildlings at the wall will be, and then we won’t get to see it. We will have countless episodes in s2 about the growing threat of Stannis and the imminent attack on the Red Keep, and then the battle itself will be skipped. That is not good storytelling, a story needs a climax, it shouldn’t just jump over it, that’s cheating the audience.

If they wouldn’t show us two battles as simple as the ones in book 1, no way will we get the big ones in book 2 and 3, because they would be a lot harder to do.

Yea, I was kinda disappointed too about the battles, though I will be satisfied if they show the battle of the camps more properly. I think they could do Blackwater better, considering that Sean Bean is somewhat a high paid actor, and he won't feature in the next season(unless a flashback etc) so they would get more money for doing some great battles.

If I had several million dollars, I would gladly donate some to my favorite series to do them properly.

I wish they would have shown what Catelyn saw in the books. Torches in the forest, sounds of fighting & dying men. Show some of the planning and maybe Catelyn watching as the men leave to the battle.

Now it kinda felt totally lackluster event. Since there was no real excitement. I was wondering what they were even looking at, at first.

Didn't really expect anything from the Bolton vs Tywin fight, since Bolton wasn't cast nor named during this season. And to be honest I think it was a wise move not to throw Tyrion into midst of fighting. Makes him more realistic. And they really didn't have the budget for the fight anyways.

Hopefully we will see more with Battle of the Blackwater.

Didn't even notice the battles weren't there. With so many characters and plot lines, much rather them spend time & money on that. Since the battle on the Blackwater would appear different than just two fields of soldiers, that might be interesting to see how they render it. Aside from Moore trying to kill Tyrion there isn't a lot in it still that would require being seen.

Just because it doesn't need to be seen doesn't mean it shouldn't be. TV is a visual medium, and therefore it needs to be visually impressive. The way we're going, Blackwater is just going to be a closeup on Sansa's face while Ros and The Hound describe everything that's happening, South Park style. That would get the point across just as well, but personally, I would rather see Tyrion rally his troops and ride into battle. I want to see Davos' apprehension, and I want to see the river erupt into wildfire. I want to see Podrick save his master from Mandon Moore, and I want to see Renly's ghost smash Stannis' army.

I haven't nitpicked anything all season but now I'm seriously disappointed. I feel scammed. If they can't show a minor battle they're not going to be able to do any of the best scenes justice. They should've waited until technology was cheap enough to do it right or not do it at all.

WTF was up with Tyrion getting knocked out...looks like some lame slapstick comedy. All I wanted with Greenfork was something of an epic entrance and cut to the aftermath, which could've been easily achieved by cutting out that hammer-meets-head nonsense. Whoever came up with that idea anyway.

And WTF is up with the weird numbers. As if Robb could just sneak 18k men around without Tywin noticing. And then there's whispering wood itself. The memorial turning point of the Stark-Lannister conflict. The one battle they could've stick to the books without a crazy budget. And they just cut it.

What can I say. I'm still in shock. :shocked:

the whispering wood scene overall was poorly done. it would have been by FAR the easiest battle scene to show in the entire series. but apparently they couldn't even afford to have catelyn see some torches and hear swords clanking. whatever hbo. but the thing that annoys me the most is we didn't get to see robb stand in front of his men BEFORE the battle so the audience would know where they were and what was about to happen. instead we got a weird moment where the audience didn't know what just happened and then suprise! jaime has been captured.

tbh i'm really upset with the battles. i wasn't expecting lotr style combat. but i mean come on. how expensive is it just to show some large scale soldiers lining up and then cut to some close groups doing one on one fighting for about 2 minutes? i.e. show both armies lining up and cut to tyrion and the mountain clans fighting and then tyrion is knocked out during that fight. *sigh*

There's a third battle in the first book, where Robb lifts the siege on Riverrun.

Considering they changed it so he has the bulk of his army with him, and the battle is set in the final episode, I can only assume they held their guns for that particular battle.

*waits to be proven wrong by scenes cutting from Robb's tent to the courtyard in Riverrun* :wacko:

This was pretty much what I expected from these battles. None of them are particularly important and even Rome, with twice the budget, held showing army combat to a minimum (and it still was about the part of the show with the lowest quality, although it doesn't mean it was bad). I'm not bothered by it either.

Just because it doesn't need to be seen doesn't mean it shouldn't be. TV is a visual medium, and therefore it needs to be visually impressive. The way we're going, Blackwater is just going to be a closeup on Sansa's face while Ros and The Hound describe everything that's happening, South Park style. That would get the point across just as well, but personally, I would rather see Tyrion rally his troops and ride into battle. I want to see Davos' apprehension, and I want to see the river erupt into wildfire. I want to see Podrick save his master from Mandon Moore, and I want to see Renly's ghost smash Stannis' army.

And I would rather flap my arms and fly. You can't always get what you want.

In the world of magic fairy dust land, HBO will sprinkle a few hundred million dollars per season and make your wishes come true. Not happening here.

Remember, GRRM designed the freakin' story to be unfilmable, out of his frustrations with the limitations he saw in Hollywood. The story GRRM wrote CAN. NOT. BE. FILMED. It can however, be adapted. The epic scale of the battles can, will and must be lost. George understands it. I understand it. Many other folks here understand it. But some here just refuse to get it.

In the world of make-believe I can be the astronaut-rockstar-princess-physicist-karate master-neurosurgeon I always dreamed I'd be. But here and now, we get what we get and we can either like it or not. But whining isn't going to change that.

the whispering wood scene overall was poorly done. it would have been by FAR the easiest battle scene to show in the entire series. but apparently they couldn't even afford to have catelyn see some torches and hear swords clanking. whatever hbo. but the thing that annoys me the most is we didn't get to see robb stand in front of his men BEFORE the battle so the audience would know where they were and what was about to happen. instead we got a weird moment where the audience didn't know what just happened and then suprise! jaime has been captured.

tbh i'm really upset with the battles. i wasn't expecting lotr style combat. but i mean come on. how expensive is it just to show some large scale soldiers lining up and then cut to some close groups doing one on one fighting for about 2 minutes? i.e. show both armies lining up and cut to tyrion and the mountain clans fighting and then tyrion is knocked out during that fight. *sigh*

hi. i couldn't possibly agree with you more. i will admit that i was waiting for this episode more than any episode in the entire series solely because i wanted to watch the battles. i was so excited and as soon as i saw tyrion's fade to black from getting knocked out and then the aftermath of the battle, i was so disgusted i lost interest in the episode and honestly, a bit in the series. i complained so much out loud my girlfriend told me i was ruining the entire thing for her so i shut up.

some people like political intrigue and development and don't really care about battles being shown. i'm not one of them. i love epic battles.

they could have at least given us some CGI. even if they decided to forego the battles, it could have been done in a better way.

this truly TRULY makes the series lose it's epicness.

my question: do you think that this will be it? that for the rest of the series on HBO on whichever book, the battles will be foregone?

Archived