[BOOK SPOILERS] Did anyone else notice the deviation from the plot?

Marius

In the third book, of Game of Thrones, Dany dismisses Jorah from her service because of the fact that he has been reporting on her, even as recently as the last city they conquered. But in the TV show, Varys grants Jorah his pardon, and Jorah chooses to side with Dany. Now, there is no more reason to continue informing on Dany, and so unless something happens between Dany and Jorah in the future that causes him to grow angry with her, Jorah will stop informing on her. And if he stops informing on her, Dany will not grow inflamed at the fact that he informed on her a few days/weeks ago, and won't dismiss him from her service. Any thoughts on this? I only recently read all of the books, in fact I read all four in the past two weeks, so no doubt a lot of you are a lot more adept at this kinda stuff then me. Feel free to comment.

It's been some time since I read it, so I may not remember it correctly, but I believe that the reason why Dany dismissed Jorah was not his betrayal itself, but the way he behaved when Dany found out - he didn't truly regret and beg forgiveness, but claimed that Dany couldn't dismiss him, because she needed him.

In the book, the last letter Jorah sends informing on Dany is from Qarth, and that letter was to tell Varys that he was now the queen's man and would no longer be a spy. So he stops informing on her long before he is dismissed whether we're talking about the book or the show.

It's possible that having sent a pardon, but Jorah never checking back in, Varys will still send his birds to ask whats' up with Dany. Jorah can simply tell one of them, in Qarth, that he will no longer tell him anything. Then we're back to canon-like.

And yeah. The reason Jorah's dismissed, in the end, is because he treats her like a child in front of the court which, if unanswered, would hugely undermine her precarious authority. It's clear to Dany that the only reason he is loyal is because he has romantic feelings towards her, not because he respects her.

Aye, it was Jorah's attitude that got him kicked to the curb not his misdeeds. That was driven home by the fact that Barristan was all contrite and humble towards Dany when it was revealed he served King Bob, so she lets him stick around.

As plot deviations go it's fairly minor. I think a bigger plot deviation is the fact that Varys had little birds up in Winterfell AFTER Bob departed to go back south. So he knew about the dagger and the attempt on Bran's life, and that Cat was coming to KL before Cat arrived in KL. AFAIK Varys is not nearly so omniscient in the books.

Archived