[Pre-ADwD Spoilers] Daenerys 4 - Spoilers for ADWD

Jon Targaryen

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat. I found her interesting initially, but that faded quickly.

Yeah.. I know these are only spoiler chapters, not the real thing. And all I can hope for is that these are from 2005 and GRRM has been writing ADWD for 5 year afterwards. So maybe this whole self-pitying, bloated emo chick changes back to the cool, intelligent and confident Dany that I remember. The one that listens to all opinionss and advices and then does the needed thing, with ingenious cunning and insight.

This Dany is... ugh, pathetic. And I mislike where this character is going. The only thing that could save her is a cunning little Hand ;)

I'm in the same boat. I found her interesting initially, but that faded quickly.

I also agree. She was interesting at first and then somehow she became annoying and I couldn't really see where she was heading!

• 2 weeks later...
What I liked about A Song of Ice and Fire was the greyness of it all, the political complexity and the feeling that just about anybody could rise up and take it all if they had the best plan.

But no, wait, none of that stuff I read means a damn thing. ONLY DANY CAN RULE WESTOROS! ONLY DANY CAN SAVE THE DAY!

You have stated the exact reason why I can't stand Dany. I thought I was the only one who thought she was an almost complete cliche.

(Incidentally, I feell the same way about Jon.)

Got bored of Dany ages ago, and all this prophecy relating to her is annoying me.

What I liked about A Song of Ice and Fire was the greyness of it all, the political complexity and the feeling that just about anybody could rise up and take it all if they had the best plan.

But no, wait, none of that stuff I read means a damn thing. ONLY DANY CAN RULE WESTOROS! ONLY DANY CAN SAVE THE DAY!

blurgh

All this prophecy stuff feels like plot elements from a worse, less interesting series.

And Dany is indeed dull. The only thing I'm interested in here is seeing what happens when Tyrion meets her. Will he be lecherous? Will he be humble? Will he be kind and gentle? Will he just be pissed off, blunt and straightforward? I do not know, but I feel it will be the only entertaining thing in the constant feet-dragging misery fest that is Daenyrys Targaryen. She's about an inch away from becoming outright emo.

Perhaps GRRM is deliberately holding off Daenerys' invasion, or actions taking her closer to Westeros, until Tyrion can come to her; which might be inevitable. I would find it unbelievable if Dany, at 15, set off to Westeros and conquered her father's usurped kingdom in a couple of years; she is too young and she does not have that many good advisors. Nor is she ready to be any kind of good queen to Westeros, or anything but a virtual foreigner conquering Westeros with a foreign army and dragons, at this point. Dany needs at least a year or two more to grow up, learn more, consolidate and build military strength and gain more knowledge about the last years of her father's reign as well as laws and customs and power structure of the land she believes she is destined to rule.

• 2 weeks later...

When is Dany going to DO something. bah.

Not everyone wants to read about bloody battles. Some of us prefer subtle intrigue and a little mystery.

Contrary to most in this thread, I actually feel that for ONCE Dany's story has gotten interesting. I'm much more excited about ADWD now.

Perhaps GRRM is deliberately holding off Daenerys' invasion, or actions taking her closer to Westeros, until Tyrion can come to her; which might be inevitable. I would find it unbelievable if Dany, at 15, set off to Westeros and conquered her father's usurped kingdom in a couple of years; she is too young and she does not have that many good advisors. Nor is she ready to be any kind of good queen to Westeros, or anything but a virtual foreigner conquering Westeros with a foreign army and dragons, at this point. Dany needs at least a year or two more to grow up, learn more, consolidate and build military strength and gain more knowledge about the last years of her father's reign as well as laws and customs and power structure of the land she believes she is destined to rule.

I completely agree with this. I do like Dany, but she seems to be going in circles. The new people she will hopefully meet soon will bring some spice into it all and allow her to move forward. She's cautious - it may mean that her progress is slow, but then at least she doesn't make potentially dangerous rash actions like Cersei or Robb. If she goes to Westeros now I doubt she'll get the welcome she expects. She needs some allies to "spread the word" and rally people before she arrives.

I completely agree with this. I do like Dany, but she seems to be going in circles. The new people she will hopefully meet soon will bring some spice into it all and allow her to move forward. She's cautious - it may mean that her progress is slow, but then at least she doesn't make potentially dangerous rash actions like Cersei or Robb. If she goes to Westeros now I doubt she'll get the welcome she expects. She needs some allies to "spread the word" and rally people before she arrives.

I really think by the end of ADWD Dany will be pointed in the right direction, whether that is going east to go west, south to go north, blah blah blah. I have never had a problem with her story line, but I can see how many people want something to happen to push her towards Westeros. Like you said, these allies that will spread the word and rally people are all coming into play soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a theory, which if you read any of my other two first posts, I am full of odd theories, but after reading A Feast For Crows, I couldn't help but wonder if the elder from the quiet isle that Brienne visited may be Prince Rhaegar himself, and he may have twisted the story of his to protect his true identity. Remember he said his life ended at the battle of the trident and he showed up there naked as his name day. Maybe this will be one of the heads of the dragon by the time we get to the end of this epic novel. Remember they had all but one of his rubies in the elders chambers in his cave.

Just a theory, which if you read any of my other two first posts, I am full of odd theories, but after reading A Feast For Crows, I couldn't help but wonder if the elder from the quiet isle that Brienne visited may be Prince Rhaegar himself, and he may have twisted the story of his to protect his true identity. Remember he said his life ended at the battle of the trident and he showed up there naked as his name day. Maybe this will be one of the heads of the dragon by the time we get to the end of this epic novel. Remember they had all but one of his rubies in the elders chambers in his cave.

It's possible, albeit unlikely. The Elder Brother monologue in Brienne's chapter seems to indicate that he was merely a knight, and the physical description of him is inconsistent with what we know of Rhaegar.

True but the elder did have a shaved head if I recall correctly and a hard hit from a battle hammer or/and floating down a river could cause some physical deformations of ones face such as swelling of ones nose was where my thought process had taken me.

I find it highly unlikely that the Elder Brother is Rhaegar. First, Robert stove in his chest, not his face. Second, its not likely that Robert would have left him unchecked to miraculously wake up later. Third, everyone agrees he is dead, and many loyalists say him die.

Very interesting thought though.

I appreciate your feedback, and even though I think Rhaegar is a little farfetched even from my own theory, the elder may be a knight of a little more importance than he led us (or Brienne) to believe. Any thoughts on who he may be if not who he said he was and not Rhaegar? Again he may be exactly who he says he is, but isn't that why we love reading and theorizing about what Martin will throw at us next.

I appreciate your feedback, and even though I think Rhaegar is a little farfetched even from my own theory, the elder may be a knight of a little more importance than he led us (or Brienne) to believe. Any thoughts on who he may be if not who he said he was and not Rhaegar? Again he may be exactly who he says he is, but isn't that why we love reading and theorizing about what Martin will throw at us next.

I think that the point of the Elder Brother is not to make us wonder who he is, but to make us wonder who the big brother with the limp doing the shoveling is. We get the story from the Elder Brother about who he was as a person died, and he came back new as the man we see today. At the same time he says the Hound is dead, and we see big man over on the side with the shovel, so it's pointing us towards the Hound being dead and Sandor being reborn.

The Elder Brother and is story of rebirth is in that sense the clue that points us towards where Sandor is now.

I find it highly unlikely that the Elder Brother is Rhaegar. First, Robert stove in his chest, not his face. Second, its not likely that Robert would have left him unchecked to miraculously wake up later. Third, everyone agrees he is dead, and many loyalists say him die.

Very interesting thought though.

Fourth, they burned Rhaegar as is ritual for Targaryens, they didn't dump his body in the river.

Ok, new to the addiction of ice and fire, started reading A Game Of Thrones a week before the show started, and read all 4 books in about a month and a half. I appreciate all the info from people who have been long time followers of the series. Feel bad for those of you that have waited so long for ADWD to come out. I know I will fly through it and Winds Of Winter will not come out fast enough. I can only hope I don't have to wait half as long as it took ADWD to come out after AFFC was released, but I assume with this book running parallel to the last, the material for the next book should be mostly completed, if not only in George's mind.

Archived