[Book Spoiler] Preview of Ep 9

MyDogIsNamedDanerys

I hope in this episode or the 10th one we get the reveal that Maester Aemon is a Targaryen. I loved that scene in the book.

I have high hopes that it will be! The episode summary I read on my TV is: "Ned makes a critical decision when Sansa's life is in danger; Catelyn comes to an unsavory agreement with the Lord of the Crossing; Tyrion is forced to fight on the front lines; while being rewarded for his gallantry, Jon uncovers a dark secret." (emphasis mine) Not sure what the gallantry is though?

edit: I guess the gallantry was saving LC Mormont and he'll receive Longclaw.

I certainly hope we don't get to see a deformed baby with wings and scales... that would be terrible.

They don't show the gang rapes, the war rapes or castle rapes.

They're not going to show mutant baby. To be honest, I don't want to see it either. :shocked:

Lords Glover and Umber are the only non-Stark nothern lords cast this season (technically Glover isn't a lord in the book, he's Master of Deepwood Motte, but he seems to be a lord in the show), and Lords Bracken and Frey are the only Riverlands lords, as far as I know.

(edited for spelling)

Why would they cast Lord Glover but not Lord Karstark? I don't recall Lord Glover having any significant lines or plot, whereas Lord Karkstark shows how unhappy he is to having lost both sons to Jaime during the battle of the Whispering Woods, and this becomes crucial in book 3. Perhaps they merged Lord Glover and Lord Karkstark somehow? So long as they don't merge him with the Greatjon (who is fiercely loyal til the end), at least...

Robb said he sent 2000 men to die, could that be the diversion against Tywins army? Without a named general it would mean not casting the extra lords yet.

Cant really see it as in keeping with character though, killing 2000 of your men is pretty callous.

Why would they cast Lord Glover but not Lord Karstark?

Because they can cast some low cost no-name actor to be Glover, but they might want to cast a recognisable (and hence more costly) face for Karstark. Probably as much an economic decision as a creative one.

It's the not casting of Bolten that's the oddest choice, given he's given the command of the diversionary force. Still, I hope Robb and Cat have that conversation about his plan where Cat subtley steers Robb away from Umber and towards Bolten for the command, and Robb notes how Bolten scares the bejeebers out of him. No need to show him, though perhaps he can be shown from the back or something, so Roose Bolten could be a mere non-name extra in Season 1. At least show us the flayed man sigil to tell the audience why Robb would feel a bit hinky about Roose.

Just noticed that Cat will be having the conflab with Lord Frey. I hope we get nearly all of that conversation from the book (though they can ditch some of his belly aching about his spawn).

I'm disappointed Roose Bolton wasn't cast for the first season. He was such an interesting character in the books. Although if I remember it correctly the only significant scene in the first book was at the war conference where everyone shuts up in order to hear what Bolton is saying. Every other time we hear the name Bolton is from someone else. It would also make more sense if some scenes we believe are going appear in Baelor but not confirmed, to be put into episode 10.

If not casting Bolton for S1 means that they get a better actor to play him in S2 and onwards, I'm all for it. Losing Bean and Mark Addy should free up a lot of budget space; Jason Momoa and Harry Lloyd leaving also provides some supplementary $$$.

Robb said he sent 2000 men to die, could that be the diversion against Tywins army? Without a named general it would mean not casting the extra lords yet.

Cant really see it as in keeping with character though, killing 2000 of your men is pretty callous.

I thought this too. I was thinking maybe he's talking about the Lannister men he's killed, as in sending men is taken as a metaphor for killing them not sending them to their deaths. The war isn't over because he shed the blood of 2000 of their men? Dunno. I agree that your take on it would be out of character.

If not casting Bolton for S1 means that they get a better actor to play him in S2 and onwards, I'm all for it. Losing Bean and Mark Addy should free up a lot of budget space; Jason Momoa and Harry Lloyd leaving also provides some supplementary $$$.

You certainly don't NEED the Lord of the Dreadfort for the first season. I think a lot of fans get a little too greedy with the character requests in the first season.

Agree with the available budget created with the "departure" of some of the bigger names. However lets not forget that popularity rise and dvd/blu ray sales could serve to provide GoT with more capital for the cast. In particular I feel that Stannis will be such a difficult casting job, I have doubts that a lesser known name would be able to get it done.

I wonder if we will see the early character demise as hinted by GRRM on Sunday?

Durka Durka.

I thought this too. I was thinking maybe he's talking about the Lannister men he's killed, as in sending men is taken as a metaphor for killing them not sending them to their deaths. The war isn't over because he shed the blood of 2000 of their men? Dunno. I agree that your take on it would be out of character.

My take on this was that he knows he's sending a bunch of his own foot soldiers into battle with Tywin's force at a severe disadvantage with the only purpose to divert Tywin's attention. I don't think it would be callous or out of character at all.

He knows what the stakes are. His strategy involves men dying. He obviously doesn't like that it had to be done that way, judging from his tone of voice when he says it. But I don't think it's out of character.

FWIW, there was an early character demise in the last episode, when Drogo killed Mago. In the books Mago becomes a bloodrider to Khal Jhaqo after Drogo's khalasar falls apart.

Ah... maybe this was it. I've been waiting and wondering who he was referring to.

Ah... maybe this was it. I've been waiting and wondering who he was referring to.

But does Mago die in book 3? The character dies in book 3, but dies earlier (first season) in the show. The character is very minor. Those are our clues.

No. We never learn more about Mago and whether he dies or not in book 1, 2, 3, or 4. The early death referred to by GRRM is not Mago as far as I can determine (though to be clear, it IS an "early death" -- just not the one GRRM referred to).

Ah, yeah, wasn't Mago one of those whom Daenerys vowed, "These men will die screaming" for what they did to Eroeh? I guess this oath will not come into play later then... or they'll replace it with something else in the TV series.

Edit: yeah, that's the one:

“Eroeh?” asked Dany, remembering the frightened child she had saved outside the city of the Lamb Men.

“Mago seized her, who is Khal Jhaqo’s bloodrider now,” said Jhogo. “He mounted her high and low and gave her to his khal, and Jhaqo gave her to his other bloodriders. They were six. When they were done with her, they cut her throat.”

“It was her fate, Khaleesi,” said Aggo.

If I look back I am lost.It was a cruel fate,” Dany said, “yet not so cruel as Mago’s will be. I promise you that, by the old gods and the new, by the lamb god and the horse god and every god that lives. I swear it by the Mother of Mountains and the Womb of the World. Before I am done with them, Mago and Ko Jhaqo will plead for the mercy they showed Eroeh.

The Dothraki exchanged uncertain glances. “Khaleesi, “ the handmaid Irri explained, as if to a child, “Jhaqo is a khal now, with twenty thousand riders at his back.

She lifted her head. “And I am Daenerys Stormborn, Daenerys of House Targaryen, of the blood of Aegon the Conqueror and Maegor the Cruel and old Valyria before them. I am the dragon’s daughter, and I swear to you, these men will die screaming. Now bring me to Khal Drogo.”

I always wondered, considering how seriously she swears that oath, if we'd ever see Daenerys fulfill it at some point. But if Mago is considered irrelevant enough to die early, maybe this was just an empty vow, or something that GRRM might have considered for later but abandoned.

I always wondered, considering how seriously she swears that oath, if we'd ever see Daenerys fulfill it at some point. But if Mago is considered irrelevant enough to die early, maybe this was just an empty vow, or something that GRRM might have considered for later but abandoned.

...or maybe they'll just give it all to Jhaqo, condensing that part, for the TV adaptation. Or cut it altogether.

Thanks for finding that quote! Gave me chills reading it, I had forgotten about that oath completely.

Archived