[Book Spoilers] EP108 Discussion Part 2

My thoughts:

• Mirri was justified in striking back at the slaughterer of her people who was inevitably going to do the same elsewhere
  • Mirri was not justified in killing an innocent child, regardless of prophecy

I think justified is very much a changable concept under these circumstances. The Dothraki felt they were justified in what they did to Mirri's village and people. Mirri felt she was justified in the route she opted to take.

I've been out of town and just got to watch this episode.

I read a bit in the other thread, and I noted some people were wondering (complaining) about why Robb let the scout go. Remember, it's during this time that Robb comes up with his plan to split his forces, with most of his horse crossing at the Twins to attack Jamie's host, while the foot marches on Twyin's encampment mostly as a feint. I believe that allowing the scout to go with Robb's message to Twyin is part of the deception; he wants him to think his full host is marching south in a reckless fury.

I'm glad others are bitching about the actress playing Sansa. Talk about a limited acting range. I have the same complaint about Cersei. Lena Headey's one expression is that of a person suffering a tooth ache—or perhaps constipation.

I know the naked Hodor scene was in the book, but on the show, did they make mention of why he was naked? In the books we know from Bran's thoughts that Hodor was taking a dip in the hot springs, but I can't remember if that was mentioned on the show. If not, it makes his appearing out of the trees naked quite random and more than a bit silly.

I like how Syrio's fate wasn't shown. Either Martin really didn't kill him off, or he's teasing readers who thinks he didn't. That said, I really didn't like the show Syrio. Too over-the-top and cartoony.

Did anyone picture Timmet as a big ol' fat bearded guy? He's bigger than Shagga.

I still don't know what to make of the show's Sam, what with his greater self-confidence—despite being a coward still—and sense of humor. Show Sam doesn't go in stuttering terror of Mormont like book Sam.

I have to say, I haven't been a fan of the series thus far. The characters and settings are just too engrained in my mind from having read the books multiple times. That said, this episode has come the closest to actually feeling like ASoIaF, and I'm sure that's due to Martin penning it.

My biggest complaint with this episode is something that hasn´t been mentioned yet, I believe - when the men from the Night´s Watch are burning the wights, they look up at the wall and you see it is sudddenly STEPPED like a bloody stair! It looked NOTHING like that in the opening scene of the first episode! What bloody good would a wall like that do??? BAD mistake!

Well, this was my favorite episode so far, edging out #6.

Great scenes: Syrio's fight with the guards, the wight (love the Game, but I want more supernatural), Tyrion meets Tywin (with Bronn son of you wouldn't know him), Robb calling the banners and Barristan the Bold.

Would have liked to have had an introduction of more Northern lords, but I suppose it's understandable if they don't want to confuse viewers with too many characters, or cast ones like Roose Bolton who get more screenplay later. But we did get the Greatjohn and were the Manderlys with Catelyn when she rejoined Robb? HAve to rewatch the show tonight, and keep an eye out for Maege Mormont as well.

Thanks heaven for no more sexposition scenes. Actually the one scene where they could have shown more (the Dothraki pillaging) was fairly tame. I'm not as big a fan as some are of Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo, but that's mostly becuase I don't think the attempts to make him look exotic (the beard and eye darkening, mostly) work all that well. I do think he will make a great Conan.

Dont know about that. I doubt Mirri would know that Drogo was such a bad ass Khal and that his son would be the Stalion Who Mounts the World. Maybe traveling with them gave her this information and was what made her decide to sabotage Khal Drogo and Dany.

Yeah, that's definitely possible and believable, but we're just speculating that, there's nothing in the text that indicates this is what happened. I'm hoping the TV series is clearer on this aspect. :)

My biggest complaint with this episode is something that hasn´t been mentioned yet, I believe - when the men from the Night´s Watch are burning the wights, they look up at the wall and you see it is sudddenly STEPPED like a bloody stair! It looked NOTHING like that in the opening scene of the first episode! What bloody good would a wall like that do??? BAD mistake!

They are on the south side of the wall in this scene, aren't they?

Well, this was my favorite episode so far, edging out #6.

Great scenes: Syrio's fight with the guards, the wight (love the Game, but I want more supernatural), Tyrion meets Tywin (with Bronn son of you wouldn't know him), Robb calling the banners and Barristan the Bold.

Would have liked to have had an introduction of more Northern lords, but I suppose it's understandable if they don't want to confuse viewers with too many characters, or cast ones like Roose Bolton who get more screenplay later. But we did get the Greatjohn and were the Manderlys with Catelyn when she rejoined Robb? HAve to rewatch the show tonight, and keep an eye out for Maege Mormont as well.

Lady Maege is definitely in the scene with the map in the tent. She's on the lower-left corner of the screen, IIRC, when they bring the scout in. I believe you also see her in Winterfell.

Late to the party because I've been away on vacation. Some quick thoughts on episode 8:

• The fate of Syrio Forel is still up in the air. They could have shown his demise since they didn't have to adhere to GRRM's strict Arya POV, but they didn't, which might mean he's going to make it. He could be a faceless man, like Jaqen H'ghar, as some have theorised.
  • Arya appears to kill the stable boy accidentally. I cannot recall if it was so accidental in the book too.
  • I like Varys. He has some kind of honour it seems. And he serves the Realm. More people should think like that.
  • Sam may be a coward but his intelligence is very useful for the Night's Watch, like when he examines the undead and reads through Maester Aemon's library. I like Sam.
  • Why is Grand Maester Pycelle the one that is most against Sansa and Joffrey? She might be the daughter of a "traitor" but who's he to talk. He served both Aerys and Robert, and now Joffrey.
  • Heh! "I won't hatch anything!" Sansa's tongue gets the better of her gain. She should hatch an heir if she's going to be Queen.
  • Robb: "I'll go to King's Landing, but not alone. Send for the bannermen!" I like him.
  • God, how I hate Lysa Arryn and her brat!
  • I'm with Tyrion in how I would like to die, except I'd like to be even older than 80.
  • The NW undead didn't have blue eyes (that I could see) even if it was mentioned that they had them.
  • Stupid Dothraki horselord machismo! See what willingly inflict a wound on you can do, Khal Drogo!
  • "Your meat is bloody tough!" Gotta like someone like the Greatjon. He speaks like Brian Blessed.
  • Rickon is pretty perceptive when he flatly states that "no they won't" come back.
  • Guess Hodor in the buff filled up this week's nudity quota for HBO. Where's the brain soap?
  • "Bronn, son of...?" "You wouldn't know him." Heh. I like TV Bronn better than Book Bronn.
  • What a stupid move to fire Barristan Selmy. The one true knight in the Kingsguard. Great guy.
  • Poor Sansa, this is not what she signed up for. She's in way over her head.

They are on the south side of the wall in this scene, aren't they?

No, they aren´t, neither in the books nor on tv. Also, the southern side of the Wall doesn´t look like that either and never has, not in any shot we´ve seen of it before. I haven´t got a clue what they were thinking.

In the TV episode they were burning the wights in Castle Black, which is south of the wall.

It's true, though, that the previous shots did not appear as obviously stepped: See this shot from Lord Snow, which shows the elevator pretty much in one straight line up the face of the wall. OTOH, the modelled image from the opening credits exaggerates the levels and offsets.

• 8 months later...

a little 'late to the party', but I just watched this episode in full last night

great epsiode, my only thing would be a nitpick about Syrio; his (possible) death scene was way more badass in the books. In the show, he just smacks the Lannisters around a bit, but if I remember the book scene right, he kills two or three by crushing their throats or poking eyesockets and whatnot.

a little 'late to the party', but I just watched this episode in full last night

great epsiode, my only thing would be a nitpick about Syrio; his (possible) death scene was way more badass in the books. In the show, he just smacks the Lannisters around a bit, but if I remember the book scene right, he kills two or three by crushing their throats or poking eyesockets and whatnot.

If you like you can watch it again with the GRRM commentary and listen to him address your point.

• 2 months later...