Wiki translate

darkachilles

Hello everyone,

I'm new at forum. If i introduce myself shortly, im an asoiaf fan,who lives in Istanbul,Turkey. I would like to translate "wiki of ice and fire" threads to Turkish. I'm also translating subtitles of "game of thrones" episodes. I can directly change it on the main site or i can send translated pages to someone responsible and he/she can create a new language section.

I would be grateful, if you help me about this topic.

Welcome to the board!

Currently we never planned articles of other languages on this wiki. Probably the best thing to do would be to found a Turkish language wiki and then link it. We are connect with two other wiki that are in different languages:

Already losts of articles on the different wikis are connected to one-another. On the French and English wiki the links are in the left to the screen looking:

In other languages

On the Russian wiki the interwiki links are to the bottom of the article.

A good thing about this is that the articles (including template and so on) of all of the wiki's are without copyright meaning you are free to copy and translate them (if you add where you copied them from).

• 2 months later...

Hello! I am a new member and a great italian fan of A song of ice and fire. Long story short, I've had the same idea as Darkachilles, with the difference that I would translate the articles into italian. I read the answer you gave him, so I'm asking you: which are the steps to found a wiki? I've never done something like that...

If you have your own web server you can download the software from wikimedia, install it (check for errors, often reinstall it). I am told that it will take some time to become familiar with.

If you, like most people don't own a website + server then the best would probably to go to Wikia. You can start your own wiki there. I have never done it myself so I don't know what the exact steps are. The software runs on wikia so you don't have to worry about that. Then you can think about content and structure. Our wiki is linked to the French La Guarde de Nuit (more or less our founding father) and the Russian Chronada wiki. You can copy our structures or image is you like, or use them as examples.

Now that I think of it there is a 3rd option, more a variation of the 1st. I know there are some Italian ASOIAF websites:

*Il Grande Inverno - The Great Winter

* La Barrierra

* Le Cronache del Ghiaccio e del Fuoco

Maybe you can persuade one of them to start a wiki on their site / server. The advantage is that on their sites their sites there are probably people who like to partivipate.

When you are up and running It will probably attract a lot of people which may interest them though a lot of traffic will also mean that their server will be tested. And there is a lot of work for the one who has to maintain it (ask Ran, I think he can tell you stories about it).

Archived