About Syrio... (Yep, Syrio, AGAIN)

iheartseverus

Oh, I don't know, nervous tremors, chronic insomnia, loss of reasoning abilities, pathological constipation. Sounds fair to me. I mean, we don't want to be too harsh, after all.

Oh, right. And "mercy" killed Robert. ;)

PERFECT! I mean, freakin' PERFECT! :bowdown:

Perhaps when he's making that decision, he'll take into account that over at the TWoP site, they've been running a poll, voting on who should get eliminated from the story altogether vs. who should be elevated into a major role. After more than 650 votes have been cast, the two top 'should be major' characters are..

1. Barristan Selmy

2. Ta-duuummmmm... Syrio Forel

Conversely, I think it would be a bad idea. It's not "choose your own adventure" - GRRM has stated previously he wouldn't be writing the story based on fan theory, I'd hate to have him start doing it now. Course, with the change around Roz, who knows what might happen.

Conversely, I think it would be a bad idea. It's not "choose your own adventure" - GRRM has stated previously he wouldn't be writing the story based on fan theory, I'd hate to have him start doing it now. Course, with the change around Roz, who knows what might happen.

I didn't say that any decision he would make would be based on the fans, though. It could easily have been something he considered when writing AGoT the first time.

He's not going to do something that would alienate any fans. I mean Ned's death and the Red Wedding were bad, but not so bad as to stop people from reading the book. At the same time he isn't going to cater to the whims of his fans; He'll write what he believes seems best for the story.

(I'll risk a brief thread hi-jack, as I don't think a bit of comic relief would be out of place in this particular thread...)

No worries. :)

...now, let's discuss my theory that Hot Pie, Patchface, and Mormont's Raven are the three heads of the dragon. :P

Well, Hot Pie and Patchface are almost certain imho, but I hadn't considered Mormont's Raven before. A cunning bird, indeed, but I'd have to hear your evidence before I buy into this theory. ;)

ETA:

You want my crackpot theory?

GRRM himself doesn't know if Syrio is alive. :D

I think it's a good possibility that GRRM purposefully left the door open in case he wanted to bring Syrio back for some purpose later. If he decides to never do that, it's fine; there was no evidence that Syrio had ever survived the encounter. If he decides to ever bring Syrio back in the story, it's fine; there was no evidence that he was killed. Either way, he wins, he just hasn't decided yet. :lol: Or at least, he hadn't decided at the time of writing AGoT.

I would die laughing if this turned out to be the case. Can you imagine the reactions if, after the series is finished, GRRM let us know this had been it all along?! All those long threads (this one included) of fan debate would be hysterical in hindsight.

Or, in the case of Catelyn as you note, not. ;)

The only (Slight? Nit-picky? Asinine?) disagreement I have with this line, is George's use of the 'hair-grabbed-knife-pain-described-but-it-isn't-what-we-thought' thing at least once before that I can recall immediately (Arya/Yoren) and for some reason I think another time that I can recall. ;-)

is the tv show canon? because you can clearly see the guards syrio has previously knocked down starting to get back up. his odds of surviving are really really slim imo. tbh when i read the book i always assumed his death was a foregone conclusion, but then i found this thread ...

edit: wow first post!

is the tv show canon? because you can clearly see the guards syrio has previously knocked down starting to get back up. his odds of surviving are really really slim imo. tbh when i read the book i always assumed his death was a foregone conclusion, but then i found this thread ...

edit: wow first post!

No, IMO the TV show is not and cannot be canon for anything but the TV show. There have already been too many divergences between the books and the show for one or the other to be true canon for the other.

Now, I think the TV show has a more privileged status than (for example) Star Wars expanded universe novels and similar things. This is mainly because GRRM is personally involved in the show and (one suspects) can and will inform Benioff and Weiss if they are going to do something that throws a wrench into the long-term plotting. So while the book and the show have different canons, they are still useful for interpreting each other.

No, IMO the TV show is not and cannot be canon for anything but the TV show. There have already been too many divergences between the books and the show for one or the other to be true canon for the other.

Now, I think the TV show has a more privileged status than (for example) Star Wars expanded universe novels and similar things. This is mainly because GRRM is personally involved in the show and (one suspects) can and will inform Benioff and Weiss if they are going to do something that throws a wrench into the long-term plotting. So while the book and the show have different canons, they are still useful for interpreting each other.

not canon even if that episode was written by GRRM? ;)

in any case it was just a point about some really lame and beaten up guards trying to get off the ground. i'm completely convinced syrio is a goner. so if he ever does comes back, that would just make it twice as good! :D

not canon even if that episode was written by GRRM? ;)

in any case it was just a point about some really lame and beaten up guards trying to get off the ground. i'm completely convinced syrio is a goner. so if he ever does comes back, that would just make it twice as good! :D

Not canon even when GRRM writes it I'm afraid. Still too much divergence between the two mediums, and even if GRRM writes one episode a season, there's still the other nine or so.

Again, I think it's likely Syrio is dead. But Martin has left it in a little bit of doubt, and chose to do it again in the show. That's instructive. It may just mean he's tweaking everyone, but I think it means at least that much. ;)

Archived