[BOOK/TVSPOILERS] Blackfish

Tyrion Thr Terrible

In the books, Brynden Tully is introduced to us at the foot of the Eyrie when Cat goes to see Lysa, but we've already past that part in the show, any thoughts on when and if they will bring his character to the show?? He's kind of a big deal and I'm surprised he hasn't been on yet. Who would you like to see cast if they haven't done so already??

If you look at him solely from a plot perspective, the Blackfish has, to date, done nothing that is actually vital to the story, that only he can do. He's been Robb's advisor and that's about it. Any ornery old knight can end up castellan of Riverrun to have that chat with Jaime in AFfC, as far as the show is concerned, I suspect. But that's way, way in the future anyways.

In fact, his primary function in the story was basically to give Catelyn someone to talk to at the Vale and then at the start of ACoK.

I can't speak for what the Blackfish may do beyond the books published so far -- it might turn out he has some very important role that has to be given to him and no one else -- but my feeling is, however cool and likable the character is, he's not significant enough to the story that you need to cast him.

So, just purely a gut feeling, I don't know that we'll have Brynden Tully at all in the show.

I think, as Ran explained, that his character could be easily cut. And if he was any old character he probably would be. But I'd be surprised if D&D didn't know how popular Brynden is among book readers. Can they really cut a characers with so many fans as the Blackfish?

We'll have to wait and see.

Something to keep in mind is that D&D are considering following Robb in his invasion of the westerlands in season 2. Now, one thing Blackfish brings to the table that none of the northern lords do is in addition to being a great military mind, he has familiarity with the area, which I think is important. Yes, this familiarity was also a part of the defeat and capture of Jaime Lannister at whispering woods, but Jaime's arrogance was more important.

So that, plus the character's popularity, plus any possible future purposes of the character, imply to me that he'll be in the next season.

I think, as Ran explained, that his character could be easily cut. And if he was any old character he probably would be. But I'd be surprised if D&D didn't know how popular Brynden is among book readers. Can they really cut a characers with so many fans as the Blackfish?

Certainly they can. They are not making the show only for the book readers. They are also making the show for people who only watch the TV show. In fact, probably more so. The book fans will watch anyway.

The big problem with the story from the point of view of the non-book readers is the incredible number of characters to remember. Cutting a few of lesser importance, such as Brynden, is a mercy to the viewers. I'm surprised they haven't cut more.

God I hope not.

The Blackfish, Dolorous Edd, hell even the Greatjon, fit the description of "Cool but not overly important."

They already included the Greatjon so I am holding out hope for the others.

But I have a sinking suspicion that at least a few fan favorites will get "Glorfindeled".

I have a feeling Blackfish is going to play an important role later on in the books, but I agree it's possible they could cut the character. In event the series last long enough to show the events in later books, they can probably find a different character to play out the part he was supposed to.

It'd be unfortunate if they do because I like him too, but I think it's more than understandable considering how many characters already populate this series. We'll still have the books to enjoy him at least.

My gut feeling is we will see the Blackfish in S2. We're going to get a lot more of Robb in S2 than in the book. It makes sense for him to have a trusted adviser who is a family member and experienced in tactics. None of the current characters fit that bill, although they could theoretically combine Edmure and Bryndon. While there are certainly ways they could cut him out completely, you could say that about any number of minor ancillary characters that they have already cast in S1. It doesn't make sense to cast him for S1 with such a small number of appearances, but I believe we will see him in S2.

Dolorous Edd is superfluous, but is funny (and this series gets very grim, comic relief would be good).

Since they took away Donal Noye, I wouldn't be surprised if they took away the Blackfish as well. I mean, Donal Noye actually does something in the story, and something epic: he organizes the Wall's defenses and dies fighting the king of the giants, Mag the Mighty. Very epic.

Certainly they can. They are not making the show only for the book readers. They are also making the show for people who only watch the TV show. In fact, probably more so. The book fans will watch anyway.

The big problem with the story from the point of view of the non-book readers is the incredible number of characters to remember. Cutting a few of lesser importance, such as Brynden, is a mercy to the viewers. I'm surprised they haven't cut more.

True, the majority of the audience have not read it, but they seem to be doing a pretty good job of satisfying the book fans so far. From what I've seen of non-reader reactions they've not really been having trouble following the story, and they're pretty well clued up on the characters. Admittedly that's the people who love it enough to discuss it online, but it's a promising sign.

I don't think they'd find it hard to remember a character as badass as the Blackfish, and we Blackfish fans will certainly appreciate it if he's there!

A few of the characters that have already been cut are the Redwyne twins, Harwin, Mikken, Lord Manderly, Moon Boy.

No sign yet of the Smalljon, Rickard Karstark, or the other various bannermen of the North.

You barely know who the Kingsguard are except for Ser Barristan and Jamie.

I ain't all that upset.

But if you are going to cut something, how about the Hodor cock scene?

Unless Hodor is tPtwP and his pecker is the true Horn of Winter.

Since they took away Donal Noye, I wouldn't be surprised if they took away the Blackfish as well. I mean, Donal Noye actually does something in the story, and something epic: he organizes the Wall's defenses and dies fighting the king of the giants, Mag the Mighty. Very epic.

Yes, but none of that happens until the third book. So you'd introduce him with a very minor role in S1, have him not in S2 at all, and then have him come back in S3? In fact, now that I think about it, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is cast in S3, if we get it.

Mikken hasn't been cut. Actually showed up in TV more than the book. I also think Harwin was mentioned by name, even though he doesn't have any real lines.

I liked the Hodor scene - makes clear that he is very limited mentally.

Re northern bannerman other than Greatjon (and including Manderly), we'll see if they even get named this season. Roose Bolton and Karstark should be named and active by Season 2 in any event.

Kingsguard - agree that they didn't even name Trant last week, did they? Won't matter until Season 2 when individuals become important (especially Ser Mandon Moore at Blackwater).

Blackfish's absence on HBO's game of thrones character bios site should have clued people in that the character was cut from the show. There are plenty of characters listed on that site that don't appear until next season (like Stannis, Edmure, etc.) but Blackfish isn't one of them.

Although the Blackfish's absence was one of the most striking differences in ep 8, I pretty much agree that his character isn't necessary. If they dumped him, and made Edmure far less annoying (and more manly), I'd say that's an even trade. Book-Edmure is one of the most annoying ancillary characters of A Clash of Kings.

Blackfish's absence on HBO's game of thrones character bios site should have clued people in that the character was cut from the show. There are plenty of characters listed on that site that don't appear until next season (like Stannis, Edmure, etc.) but Blackfish isn't one of them.

Its a fair point but it could just be an oversight. Its interesting that Victarion and Damphair are both in the Greyjoy list. Does that mean they both will feature in S2?

While people have said that Robb will feature a lot in S2, we don't know that for sure. D&D have considered it based on how well the actor has done (especially in E8 I suppose). But they only have 10 episodes to play with in S2 and they may have to limit his scenes. He will have the Greatjon with him, so he doesn't need another named cast member if there are not that many scenes.

I do agree that it does complicate the storyline in aFfC if you remove the Blackfish. But then, there was no true Baratheon in Storm's End and yet the castellan refused to give it up. You could probably get away with some loyal man trying to protect Robb's wife in Riverrun.

I hope they include him of course. A loyal man for the Starks.

Won't matter until Season 2 when individuals become important (especially Ser Mandon Moore at Blackwater).

Even then, they could just do the same as they did with Trant. One of the KG attacks Tyrion but otherwise he doesn't feature.

This is a valid point, but they've also left out some random people who are in the first season. Like, Gregor Clegane is listed as part of the Lannister household, but Sandor isn't. And Theon, Luwin, and Jory are in the Stark household, but Rodrik isn't. It also doesn't show any of Kevan Lannister's children beyond Lancel, who could easily be included in the series without ever getting any screen time. So, while it does worry me that Blackfish wasn't included in that, it is nowhere near complete.

Edit: I was mistaken about Rodrik not being on the Stark page.

Also, someone brought up that they're casting Dolorous Edd in the second season. He literally does nothing for the plot, and even if he does something important in the later books, he could just be introduced in a later season (like I bet they're going to do with Donal Noyce). If Edd Tollett makes it into the series but Blackfish doesn't, I'll be pretty mad. (Even though I do love Dolorous Edd.)

Archived