[TV Spoilers] Great little moments to look for on 2nd, 3rd...viewing

Greylander

I also happened to see Lady Mormont on my second viewing. I also noticed during the scene with Tyrion and Tywin, Tywin moved the wine from Tyrions reach. Also during the conversation Tyrion seemed to try and not look his father directly in the eyes.

When Sansa is going on about how she'll be a perfect wife for Joff and not hatch any plans, Cersei has a completely WTF look on her face, like even she can't believe how hilariously out-of-it Sansa is. I love my Stark princess, but she is just so... not there at times. She does get better though :D

When Sansa is going on about how she'll be a perfect wife for Joff and not hatch any plans, Cersei has a completely WTF look on her face, like even she can't believe how hilariously out-of-it Sansa is.

The reason for Cersei's expression in that moment is quite another, actually.

It's not that little, but I thought the best acting job of the episode was during the Greatjon scene -- the kid who plays Bran has this fantastic "You people are freaking nuts!" look on his face, then he adds the tiniest hint of a smile as if he knows he's supposed to be laughing along but has no idea why.

Yeah, I loved that too. It was absolutely spot on, as is your analysis on it

It may not be a small thing and may have been obvious to everybody else but I missed it completely on the first watch, and that was the pile of severed heads next to Dhrogo's chair. Didn't see it on the first watch and then was like 'What the hell is that... Oh' on the second watch

(ASoS spoilers)

He (the Greatjon) doesn't, that's the thing. But Lord Karstark does, by murdering the young Lannister prisoners. I'm just hoping they haven't combined Lord Karstark and the Greatjon into one character for the TV series, since I haven't heard about Rickard Karstark being cast, and if he's not in S1, then his sons aren't killed by Jaime, and he has no reason to betray Robb... maybe they'll remove the Karstark subplot entirely for TV, I don't know. It's probably not essential (unless GRRM has further plan for this house later on) but it does show Robb losing his support from the Northmen.

It's entirely plausible that they will cast Lord Karstark for the next season, and to establish his storyline it'll be mentioned that his sons were killed. (maybe even show him at their funeral pyre)

Re-watching the final scene again, I just noticed something after Ser Barristan throws down his sword. Of the three Kingsguard we can see in front of Joffrey, only Ser Meryn (the one who went after Arya) was able to resheathe his sword without looking at the scabbard. Learning how to put one's sword back in one's scabbard by feel rather than needing to lower one's eyes is fairly basic stuff (at least in my experience with learning swordwork), so it's just more evidence that Barristan could've cut through them like cake. ;-) Or, you know, that the other Kingsguard actors could just be placeholders with no particular sword skill... But wasn't that armour made to fit them specially?

EDIT: Actually, on the long shot of Barristan walking out, when you see the Kingsguard from behind, the rightmost fellow doesn't even seem to be able to resheathe his sword at all!

Furthermore (again, only just noticed this), Sansa is followed into the throne room by two Lannister guards and flanked by them as she watches the scene before she makes her plea. It really underlines her status as a prisoner.

In the scene where the Greatjon loses his fingers there are a lot of banners on the walls, including the flayed man of Bolton. I only realized that in the third viewing.

Also the Greatjon wears chains in the exact way of his banner. Also in the same scene you can see they added Lady Mormont to the battle discussion and she is siting in the left closest to the camera.

These were my favourites as well. I love whe any heraldry gets in! I really think the show could have done more with heraldry Ie Bran should wear more surcoats wiht the direwolf, or more colours from Renly etc.

Little is when one of the Kingsguard, the one on the far right, fails to sheat his sword after Barristan leaves. It happens at 58:05.

ahah, thanks, this is awesome. Estelindis' right, this might even be intentional, everyone but Meryn actually looks at the scabard... that's a subtle way to indicate they're not the Swordmen we used to find in the Kingsguard. Maybe too subtle to really be intentionnal ? Hmm...

I like to assume the best of HBO and say it was deliberate; they've been doing swordfights a long time, shouldn't be too hard to say "Look, guys, make sure you sheathe your swords properly, k?"

I love that detail because it symbolises an end of an Era for the Kingsguard; with Barristan Selmy's retirement, the old breed of honourable, staunch, dedicated and massively proficient Knights have died out.

Sad face :(

Is Lord Rickard Karkstark cast? I hope they don't combine Lord Karkstark and Lord Umber in one character.

I don't know if he is officially cast but there is a character sitting at the table, when Lord Umber calls out Robb, and on his armor is a white sun which is the symbol of their house. so at the moment they may have an extra playing him but he is definitely in the show.

Hey Guys :D

When the Starks and their banners are discussing plans, ( Before the spy is caught) It is said that they have 18,000 men. But when interrogating the spy, The spy said he counted "20,000, maybe more." I think that is the reason he was allowed to leave unharmed, So that the lannister army would think that they had even more soldiers. :D Im probably not the first one to catch this (going by how in depth your guys answers are) But I think its a cool little thing to consider.

Hey Guys :D

When the Starks and their banners are discussing plans, ( Before the spy is caught) It is said that they have 18,000 men. But when interrogating the spy, The spy said he counted "20,000, maybe more." I think that is the reason he was allowed to leave unharmed, So that the lannister army would think that they had even more soldiers. :D Im probably not the first one to catch this (going by how in depth your guys answers are) But I think its a cool little thing to consider.

It's probably one of the reasons that Robb let that spy go, so he could go back to Tywin and report that (scared-spy-inflated) number. Plus, Robb wanted that inflated number reported to Tywin so that Tywin would throw even more of his forces against them, while of course Robb's real plan was to strike elsewhere (against Jaime in the Riverlands).

ETA: I forget my courtesies (Sansa would be appalled). Welcome to the board, WinnerByHabit!

Haha, Thanks!

"so that Tywin would throw even more of his forces against them, while of course Robb's real plan was to strike elsewhere (against Jaime in the Riverlands). "

I hope thats just a clever idea of yours and you havent read the books :/ Ive only been watching the HBO's and This forum is a workout for me trying to make so I dont spoil it for me. :D

Archived