[BOOK SPOILERS] Kevin Lannister?

Anomandaris86

I also thought Kevan was kind of off - off for his personality and for the scene. IIRC he was welcoming Tyrion very kindly (in a Lannister way), more than you ever could expect from Tywin or Cersei (leaving out Jaimie at this point). He just was kind a off in all ways. Another problem I had with Kevan was, that he looks IMO very much older than Tywin (as Tywin is the older one).

About Kevan's character developement I have to disagree a bit with the offered opionions. He certainly was kind of a "lesser Tywin", but he also had his own personality. Greating Tyrion kindly in the first way was the best sign for it in the books - Tywin did react much different. So, as many of you pointed out, he is very much seconding Tywin, but he is not absolutley the same - not while Tywin is alive and especially not after his death. But he just does not have so much screen time. He is a loyal follower to his elder brother and he would always back up him, but as a character, he is not absolutely similar to him.

While his first appearence did not seem so good to me, I'm confident, that it'll be getting nearer to the real Kevan, while story is proceeding.

What really more bothered me was to see Lord Tywin smiling in this scene - it was briefly but it was there, and I disliked it more than all about Kevan.

And well, about other characters mentioned:

Timett was really off, as some others pointed out. I always imagined him as young, but thin and gaunt, but on the show he looked like one-eyed Sam dressed as a clansman...

Chella loked better, but she was looking much too shy for me.

And while we're talking about people looking alike: did anyone notice that Robb and Jon seem more and more to look alike? - I'm not sure if this is just imagination, but it seemed to me so...

Also about Robb: While Richard Madden was acting very well, especially in EP09,, I think his hugs are kind of way off - when he hugs someone he seems to gaze into nowhere.

Speak for yourself, not all of us hate the Lannisters :P

Agreed, the Lannisters are my favorite characters. They are diverse characters with alot of personality and plenty of personal issues. They're great, and I wish we had seen even more of Tywin in the books.

The only Lannister I don't like is Joff, but GRRM has handled that.

On topic, I didn't think there was a problem with how Kevan was portrayed. Both him and Tywin could be a bit larger, but I don't think it matters much.

He seemed okay to me, except for one thing.

When Tywin says 'Robert is dead, Joffrey rules now.' Tyrion looks over to Kevan who's got this ridiculous smirk on his face. Like he's saying 'Oh yeah, shit's going down and we're on top of it.'

Kevan didn't become sympathetic or dare to speak his own mind before later on.

Tyrion's impressions as of AGOT was that 'Kevan Lannister never had a thought Tywin Lannister didn't have before him', remember? It's only in the latest book we get a favorable impression of him.

That's just Tyrions own hatred of his father seeping through, Kevan respects Tywin so much he follows him with absolutely loyalty, He's a more accessable and not as clever(but still very capable) version of Tywin.

I thought Tywin's "smile" was more of a sneering sort of smile. Though he shouldn't be doing that either.

I liked how Kevan came off. Loyal to his brother, seems to have an okay relationship with Tyrion. I didn't get a single other impression about Kevan in the books until a lot later on, so this is fine.

• 2 years later...

Huh, it's been almost three years since the last response here...And since I am done with the books and just started with the series, I guess I will be refreshing a lot of topics :)

Back to the main topic. Kevan is more or less what I imagined him to be while I was reading the books, humble, quiet, hidden in the shadow of his brother. I have to agree, though, that he seems to be older than Tywin, but it does not affect my general reception.

However, Charles Dance is FAR too warm for my liking. I have always found Tywin chillingly cold, especially when it comes to his relationship with Tyrion, but so far Mr Dance has made him almost amiable. I hope it will change in the second season.

Archived