[BOOK/TV SPOILERS] Northern Bannermen

j52y

This is a topic that I've heard talked about a lot, so I decided to make a topic about it. Here is an article in Tower of the Hand that lists the state of the Northern houses at the end of A Feast for Crows:

http://towerofthehand.com/essays/johnny/houses_of_the_north.html

Which bannermen do you think will make it into the series, and which do you think will just be mentioned but never distinguished?

Greatjon Umber has already appeared.

Roose Bolton is a must, but he won't show up until season 2. As is his son.

Galbart Glover was mentioned in this past episode, and I also saw him casted on the wikipedia character page by Mark Coney.

I wouldn't be surprised if Smalljon is eventually seen, but not given many lines.

I'm very interested to see how they deal with Rickard Karstark and his sons in the next episode. That will be very telling.

Considering the other Mormonts in the series, I hope they include Maege Mormont. It'd be kinda weird if they didn't.

Waylan Manderly seems like he'll have an important part to play in A Dance with Dragons. it'll be interesting to see how he's dealt with.

Howland Reed has yet to actually be in the books, but he has yet to be mentioned in the series (nor was Moat Catlin). I'm not worried, though.

I'm not sure that I think that other bannerman are important enough to include beyond those. What do you think?

Well I hope Lady Mormont and her daughter put in a speaking appearance.

I don't think other Northern Houses will get actors with speaking parts. Might see their banners on the field though.

44 Northern "Houses" according to the ASOIAF Wiki. I figure giving 6-8 of them any speaking parts is about as much as you can expect. One of those 44 listed houses is Cassel. So

Cassel

Mormont

Umber

Bolten

Glover

Reed

Manderly

Karstark

Taking out Cassel still makes 7, with quite a few houses left on the B list. Most of the houses are on the C-list of course and haven't got a show of being featured.

Besides Maege, Lady Hornwood is also head of her house by the start of aCoK, though I don't remember when her husband died (possible he died fighting for Robb?)

I think they will show Lady Hornwood in an early Bran scene next season. The point of her character is to emphasize what a monster Ramsey Snow/Bolton is before he actually sacks WF. He kidnaps the lady, forces her to marry him, then rapes her repeatedly and starves her until she eats her own fingers (what the fuck, George...?)

IIRC Maege and Dacey don't have any lines until the third book, so I'm afraid we won't hear them named until then.

Rickard Karstark and Galbart Glover have been cast as 'featured extras'. So we may not get any dialogue from them just yet. It's possible Karstark will be recast for Season 2 if they make his role more prominent, or they may simply bump up the actor from featured extra to 'proper actor'.

Isn't that woman a little young to be Maege Mormont? Possibly we'll learn that she sent along one of her daughters instead, or it may well be that she'll be cut and having a female war leader in the conference rooms is just a nod to the fans. If they have Galbart Glover, arguably they don't need Maege Mormont as well (since their major story contribution isn't until they are sent off by Robb on their mission to the Reeds in Book 3).

It will be interesting to see what happens with Roose Bolton. My guess, based on the lack of casting information, is that whilst there may be a Bolton contingent with the army, Roose himself isn't there and we will hear that 'Roose Bolton is heading to Harrenhal with reinforcements from the North' or something in Season 2. Either that or he's simply there in the background, will be mentioned but not cast until Season 2.

Maege Mormont isn't extremely necessary, but I feel like she'd be pretty easy to include, eventually. I hope they do include her because I find the Mormont family story really interesting.

Archived