When to start watching

Hey guys I've been meaning to read these books for the last month or so but I had to read the latest Wheel of Time before I started. Anyway, I just started yesterday and I am a few chapters in. Is there a list somewhere that states when I can watch each episode? For example:

Chapters 1-10 -- Episode 1

Chapters 11-20 -- Episode 2

Or something like that, thanks!

First episode ends at chapter 8, not counting the prologue.

2nd episode ends at chapter 16, not counting the prologue.

The problem though, is because some POV characters are complete separate from others. The show shifts them around a bit.

For example chapter 11 takes place in episode 1, and chapter 23 takes place in episode 2.

So it's really not possible to be completely in synch when reading versus watching.

read the book completely, and then watch... I did them in tandem and got confused as to what I saw or read... Plus reading first, will allow you to create the characters looks etc in your mind, and then you can watch and see how they differ, you may get some ah ha moments! If I could do it again, thats how I would have done it...

First episode ends at chapter 8, not counting the prologue.

2nd episode ends at chapter 16, not counting the prologue.

The problem though, is because some POV characters are complete separate from others. The show shifts them around a bit.

For example chapter 11 takes place in episode 1, and chapter 23 takes place in episode 2.

So it's really not possible to be completely in synch when reading versus watching.

I had a funny feeling it might be something like that, dang I really want to watch them. Is the first series only based on the 1st book?

I had a funny feeling it might be something like that, dang I really want to watch them. Is the first series only based on the 1st book?

Yes, the first season is based on the first book. HBO's initial plan was one season per book, though some of us figure they'll be combining and juxtaposing scenes from later books during later seasons, assuming the series continues for that long.

• 2 weeks later...

I started after watching a few of the episodes, and think it's best to either a) read the whole book, then watch the series or B) watch the whole series, then read the book As said, there are scenes in the book that are moved around or changed slightly and it can get a little confusing.

I actually spoiled part of the show for my wife after reading the book. The drinking game conversation that Tyrion has with Shae/Bronn in the tent actually occurs much earlier in the book, and I told my wife about it not 10 minutes before it occured in the series because I thought they were leaving it out.

There are also a few scenes in the series that don't occur in the book (Robert/Cersei conversation for example) that you might be expecting while reading concurrently and it could throw you off.

If I had it to do over again, I would have waited until the series was done before reading, since I started the series first. If you haven't watched the series yet, read the book first.

• 6 months later...

Archived