Can I start reading the second book after HBO season 1 is over?

Jorge L

Like the title says, I was wondering if season 1 ends right where the second book begins.. I don't want to miss a big part of the story and be lost when I start to read it. I absolutely love The game of Thrones, but I cannot wait a full year to find out what's going to happen next. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thx

Yep. First season covers the first novel (and, actually, a tiny bit of the next novel). So, knock yourself out. And if you enjoy them, do read the first book itself, there's some good things in there that the show doesn't even touch on. :)

If you're asking if you can start the series at the second book after having watched season 1, I suppose you could...but I would highly recommend reading from the beginning. The general plotline is the same but the first book is even more rich and densely detailed than the show and is wonderfully written to boot.

Like the title says, I was wondering if season 1 ends right where the second book begins.. I don't want to miss a big part of the story and be lost when I start to read it. I absolutely love The game of Thrones, but I cannot wait a full year to find out what's going to happen next. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thx

Don't you find this book a trifle depressing? I'm through the second book and it feels like

George orwell's 1984 or Animal Farm set in a medieval context.

Some of the characters, like Tyrion, are interesting, but it still seems like this series should come with free bottle of anti-depressants.

Don't skip Book #1. The show has done a fairly faithful job, but there's a lot of atmosphere and backstory that's missed. To me, reading GoT was not the same experience as watching GoT and I read the book during the season. . . they are just not quite the same.

If you're asking if you can start the series at the second book after having watched season 1, I suppose you could...but I would highly recommend reading from the beginning. The general plotline is the same but the first book is even more rich and densely detailed than the show and is wonderfully written to boot.

My sentiments exactly. More direwolves, too. :)

Echoing what's been said - if you haven't, read the first book. There is a lot of characterization and color that they just have not been able to fit into the TV series that, for me, makes the books very special.

Some of the characters, like Tyrion, are interesting, but it still seems like this series should come with free bottle of anti-depressants.

Things can be rather grim. But (for me) you'll just treasure the good moments even more. :P And there are some beautiful moments.

You can. You shouldn't.

The show does a good job with the main political plot line, but you don't get the full picture.

A few things you've missed out on:

- There is a lot internal character development, which is really hard to adapt. Daenerys is almost entirely internal monologue. Catelyn, and Sansa also.

- You've missed out on pretty much all the direwolf scenes, and characterizations. They haven't named them all on the show, let alone shown us their temperament.

- Bran's dreams. Falling/Flying, his first wolf dreams, and his conversations with the Three-Eyed crow.

- The Tully's, and Riverrun, have been wholesale removed in season 1 (except for Catelyn and Lysa of course). You should get to know the rest of the family.

- All of Tyrion's witty dialogue, and back story (Tysha) which will probably only surface in season 2.

- Jon convincing Maester Aemon to take Samwell on as a Steward to spare him from being beaten in training. Wasn't his muscle that the Old Bear admired.

- All the lore behind the Maesters, what the chain around their neck means. What is their role in Westerosi society.

- The Tournament of the Hand. It was more than two rounds of jousting.

- The first Sansa and Sandor scenes which HBO changed completly, a 'relationship' that develops further in ACoK.

And that's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

You should read the first book.

Yeah i'm going to have to agree with overly-long-dog-name-person. I wouldn't read the books unless you really want to. It might ruin your enjoyment of the second season and some of the stuff will make fuck all sense unless you've read the first one.

Also: Bowl'o Brown

The Tully's, and Riverrun, have been wholesale removed in season 1 (except for Catelyn and Lysa of course). You should get to know the rest of the family.

No they haven't Riverrun and Edmure were mentioned in the last episode. AFAIK only the Blackfish has been cut, though he could still show up at Riverrun

No they haven't Riverrun and Edmure were mentioned in the last episode. AFAIK only the Blackfish has been cut, though he could still show up at Riverrun

No, Riverrun will not be visited this season. Edmure has not been cast yet either afaik.

I'm going to post a dissenting opinion now, and you should totally listen to me!!

Don't read any of the books! Keep watching the show! I think the show is probably much more enjoyable if you haven't read the books. Now I have to go before I'm crucified by the book fanboys.

:leaving:

I suppose you could take that approach. I'm sure we've all had experiences where the book hasn't lived up to our enjoyment of the tv/film adaptation and vice versa.

As for me, I've just read the 1st book and I'm about to start on the 2nd - and then on to the rest. This is just my opinion, but I feel reading the books is giving me a richer understanding of the series.

It's not for everyone, though.

No, Riverrun will not be visited this season. Edmure has not been cast yet either afaik.

Where did you hear about Riverrun not being visited? Also i was protesting the fact that Bowl said that like the Blackfish they have been wiped out of existence

Honestly? All of the major plot points have been hit on in the show. You will probably do fine if you read the second book without the first. You'll probably suss out what's happening and get it.

That being said, Martin has a lot of subtle things that weave into the story early on that come up in later books. You'll be able to see the end product but it's nice to be in on it from the beginning IMO.

So I don't think you'll be left behind but they ARE different and there ARE details you might miss.

I started reading the first book last night and already there has been a few things that have been quite good that should have been in the show in my opinion, so I'd definitely say read the first book before the second

I started reading the first book last night and already there has been a few things that have been quite good that should have been in the show in my opinion, so I'd definitely say read the first book before the second

I'm going to pretend that you ARE the person in your user pic *sighs dreamily*

Archived