Can I start reading the second book after HBO season 1 is over?

Jorge L

I suppose you could skip the first book and not be lost in the second but as an avid book reader i'd have to ask: Why would you? If you're so enthralled by the story that you just can't wait for season two then just start from book one. You have a whole year to kill. I'm so engrossed (again) that i'm already re-reading the series in eager anticipation of next season. They're just that damn good!

I think it depends on whether you would prefer to watch it as it happens on a tv show, or if you're a fan of reading and would rather experience it in the novels.

Personally I prefer reading, so I'm just going to continue reading the books after the series finishes. This might make Season 2 less "exciting" but meh...

I am a newbie though, I've only started reading GoT since I started watching the HBO series, I'm not too far ahead but already there's so much more explained in the books.

So do what you want... not very helpful

Some of the characters, like Tyrion, are interesting, but it still seems like this series should come with free bottle of anti-depressants.

I don't find the books depressing. I certainly got angry several times reading them. Ned Stark's demise was just the first of these. Having said that, you'll find few books as unpredictable as ASOIAF. This is not your typical fantasy series where there is a strong delineation between good and evil or where the heroes all survive to the story's conclusion. Martin's books are visceral and as real as any fantasy novels can be.

Also, while the plot is important to the overall story, A Song of Ice and Fire, does not follow your typical story arc. It's not a plot meant to take you from point A to point B. The characters are the focus here. We're meant to get to know the characters in a wide range of varying circumstances. The HBO series can't possibly do the books justice in that sense. Some of the characters are done well... Maester Aemon's conversation with Jon Snow was exceptional... but others just aren't. Someone mentioned that Theon Greyjoy got more scene in the show than in the book and, while that may be true, we get to know him much better in the book. My vote is to definitely read the books... all of them. Some of the minor characters are nearly as good as the major ones... I loved Quorin Halfhand who appears in only a handful of chapters.

Archived