Unresolved questions from book one

sidman

• 4 months later...

I got it was Illyrio, but the other guy i always thought it to be littlefinger until i saw on the TV that it actually was Varys. But i didn't get it from the book... is there a specific passage where it is possible to understand this?

There is nothing in the book that gives any indication that Varys is the other person in the room...

Until ADWD when we are explicitly told that Varys and Illyrio have been plotting together.

All we're told in AGOT is that the other person "seems familiar" to Arya. So that could have been any number of candidates.

There is nothing in the book that gives any indication that Varys is the other person in the room...

Until ADWD when we are explicitly told that Varys and Illyrio have been plotting together.

All we're told in AGOT is that the other person "seems familiar" to Arya. So that could have been any number of candidates.

I thought there was a vague physical description of 'Varys' that hinted at it being him, and also hints at Illyrio based on what we already knew of him.

Actually no, there's a detailed physical description of the other person, especially what he's wearing. From that alone, it's not at all clear who he is. But recall that Varys grew up with a mummer troupe and often goes about in disguise (like in the much later scene where he visits Tyrion in a beggar getup, and is surprised that Shae sees through it instantly). One of his recurring personas is the jailer Rugen (the one who "disappears" after Tyrion escapes). In GoT he visits the arrested Ned dressed as Rugen, and is wearing the exact same clothes and armor as the second person Arya saw--which is why he was "very familiar" to her. The reader has to piece the clues together, but there's no question that the answer is there right from the beginning.

Archived