[Book Spoilers] EP109 Discussion

Ran

Man, that sucks. We all knew it was coming, but many of us were watching with people who didn't.

They spoiled KING IN THE NORTH in the preview for next week!

They pretty much had to; it's the only thing that would make sure people came back. He died, but his son will be king, and they're winning the war. At least a hopeful note.

I don't like Shae for lots of reasons. But anyway.

That episode was freaking awesome. I can't think of much to complain about. I can just see the people watching with no prior knowledge completely shocked and freaked out. Awesome.

Man, that sucks. We all knew it was coming, but many of us were watching with people who didn't.

They pretty much had to; it's the only thing that would make sure people came back. He died, but his son will be king, and they're winning the war. At least a hopeful note.

Not really, they made it clear the Starks were giving the Lannisters a beating and were not going to let up. They didn't have to show Greatjon yelling that line.

That just broke my heart in a million pieces. It was somehow much more painful to watch than read. Having Ned see (and consequently save) Arya just shattered me. And Sean Bean's final moments were amazingly acted. Not to mention both girls played their roles to a T. Heartbreaking. Damn.

So no battle scenes. They didn't do them in Rome either with a bigger budget. That's just the way it's going to be. It's fine by me but I can see how a lot of people (esp. traditional fantasy viewers) might be disappointed. That's always one fo the big things keeping fantasy from being done on TV...it costs $$$.

Yeah, I am not happy about HBO revealing the King in the North stuff just outright like that. Goddamnit.

I was on edge the whole hour with the 'Will they, won't they?' and it was kind of agonizing the way the KL plot started, then disappeared for the next 50 minutes. Only real complaint is Shae and the scene in the tent playing Guess Why I'm So Fucked Up..

Loved Filch Walder. Robb gets better every episode. After seeing the trailer for Conan earlier, I have a uh, greater appreciation for Jason Momoa. He's not just too much eyeliner after all... :leer:

So no battle scenes. They didn't do them in Rome either with a bigger budget. That's just the way it's going to be. It's fine by me but I can see how a lot of people (esp. traditional fantasy viewers) might be dissapointed. That's always one fo the big things keeping fantasy from being done on TV...it costs $$$.

Cersei had every intention of letting Ned take the black. I liked that they show both her and Varys scrambling to try and stop Joffrey. That was as hard to watch as I anticipated. "Oh, Ned..." indeed. :crying:

So much to digest. So much right from the book while some very big changes. Aerys was EGG's son? Tyrion in the van. Shae "foreign" and not really seductive at all. 2000 men to the Green Fork while 18k to the Whispering Wind. Very intersting.

I very much liked the GoT theme being played as the Northmen crossed the Twins. very nice touch. Another nice touch was Miri repeatedly glancing at Dany's stomach as she talked about the magic. I very much enjoyed the Judge the Character drinking game. Great way for exposition.

eta: Gods I can't wait to read the freaking of people who had no idea they would kill Ned. My dad can't believe they killed both Robert and Ned.

Having Ned see (and consequently save) Arya just shattered me.

You too, huh? Such a beautiful choice on D&D's part, turning the smaller scale of the scene into something more personal. Ned's last two acts in life are his attempts to save Sansa and Arya, respectively.

:frown5:

I thought it was a nice not-book touch for Ned to mumble to Yoren "Baelor" (I think thats what it was), so he would know to look for Arya under the statue. That's one thing I think made the scene stronger for it. And both the girls did a tremendous job of acting.

I'm a little disappointed at not showing either of the battles. But....I also realize that battles are usually terribly unrealistic on screen. I could have done without LoTR style dwarf humor though.

Archived